“Literally right at the top of the Spanish Steps” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Hassler
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Trinita dei Monti 6, 00187 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #86 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
New York
“Literally right at the top of the Spanish Steps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Walk out the hotel door, down the steps to one of the many shopping areas. It is a perfect location. This hotel has an old world charm. The staff was wonderful and helpful. The room was clean which is one of the things that is most important to me. The bathroom and closet were quite large, nice if there is more than one person in the room. The room service was ok. I arrived in Rome on my first night of my European vacation so needless to say I was exhausted and just wanted someone to bring me dinner. I thought that since I was in Italy the pasta would be amazing. Not so much for the room service pasta that I ordered. It wasn't bad, but just ok. I did however enjoy the breakfast buffet. I would recommend this hotel is nothing else to get a great workout in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome and also for your beautiful comments of praise.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, your note about the staff, the room, and the breakfast gave me great satisfaction and would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments. Likewise, I have alerted room service concerning your opinion and asked for improvement.

We look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to stay with us.

President and Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

As we expected the hotel was top notch. Couldn't complain about anything, probably because I was only there for one night. But I will tell you this, the bed was awesome! Especially coming from the Cipriani in Venice where the bed might have been sold to them from a closed down homeless shelter...

My wife and I have very plain simple palates... so when we went to eat at the roof top restaurant without reading the menu first we were in for a big surprise. Instead of being pr*cks about it the entire staff catered to us and made us items not on the menu without making us feel stupid. Thanks!!!

Staff was awesome and hotel was very comfortable. Amazing view of the Spanish steps from out room.

Highly recommend!

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome but also for having taken the time to share your lovely words of appreciation.

My aim as a family hotelier, with five generations of tradition, is to provide a blend of service and atmosphere, to make you feel that each stay is a home away from home experience and with your comments make me feel that this time I succeeded.

We look forward to greeting you and your wife again, hoping that the future stores other opportunities for you return.

Dix Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I arrived about 2 p.m. Saturday, October 13, 2012. We were immediatedely greeted with warm smiles and assistance with our bags at the instant we stepped out of our cab.
The young woman at the front desk was warm and lovely. She soothed my tired and travel-worn husband immediately with her gentle smile and whole demeanor (she must have brothers and/or be married!). We were offered a room upgrade to one with a view if we were willing to wait 30 minutes. We left to get lunch and then were accompanied to our room by the same woman We couldn't be more pleased. Impeccable furnishings that were luxurious, welcoming, and comfortable. Two liters of water in the room that were replenished daily if we used them with no charge. We were on the first floor ("1" on the elevator button, but it was actually the second floor). Beautiful view, his and her closets, lovely bathroom, wonderfully scented toiletries. Impeccably clean throughout the hotel.
Both concierges we dealt with were helpful, although one acted like we were annoying him and was a touch crabby. Every doorman, desk clerk, bellhop etc. was warm and friendly, welcoming and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel for service, atmosphere, location, warmth and decor. We did not try the restaurants, because we were out sight-seeing most of the day and night. As a final note--our A/C was terrific and completely silent.
I truly hope to return to this hotel someday.

Room Tip: First floor facing the Spanish Steps--beautiful. One morning I was awakened by some laughter from ca...

Greetings from the Eternal City!

First of all, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share with us your satisfaction concerning your recent stay with us.

All comments I receive from my clients, are very much appreciated as they are a necessary tool to constantly improve, especially constructive criticism like the detailed comment you made about the Concierge. Therefore, I always share each point with the relevant department.

Despite this one issue, I hope you will decide to return and that the future stores many other opportunities for you to do so.

Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The location of the hotel is exceptional but the staff at the reception, concierge, and restaurants were seemingly too tired from the summer influx of tourists to be helpful or warm. The hotel was exceptionally expensive ($800 a day) without the corresponding warmth one might expect at that cost. Our room, while on the piazza overlooking the Spanish Steps, was noisy and small. Perhaps the best time to travel is not October but February - when they have forgotten the challenges of too many tourists. We didn't like the crowds either!

Room Tip: Not sure what to suggest since we had a great view but a noisy room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen stay at the Hassler while visiting Rome, and also for sharing your impressions.

I was sorry to hear that you did not find our staff to be as friendly and helpful as we expect them to be at all times. I do apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort this caused to you and would like you to know that I have passed on your impressions to the staff for their consideration.

Indeed I hope, however, that despite your disappointment, we will be able to show you the true Hassler style on another occasion, giving us a chance to change your mind.

Kind regards,

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Roberta and Fabiana took care of the reservation. It's prepaid for 4 nights. Gary and I was in room 508 from 8/31-9/4.
From SFO to Rome connecting via Luthansa in Frankfurt. Luthansa was on strike (what are the odds) so we did not arrive I Rome until 9/01 noon. Hassler could not refund the room rate to me. I understand the policy but was not please. We did not arrive at the hotel until 4pm because our luggages did not arrive with our flight so we have to waited for them at the airport. Anway, when we checked in, we looked terrible.
OK. Hotel itself. Room is nice. A bit small but we understand we are in Rome. we knew we are not spending much time in the room/hotel so we did not get a suite. Comfy bed. Black and white theme. Crown molding is pretty. His/her closet is a plus. The shower is small but works. AC works great. What a view outside the window. You can clearly see the Vantican! Sound proof is pretty good especailly the room is very close to the Spandish steps.
Breakfast was great. Best smoke salmon I had - not fishy, no skin, firm, oily/melt in your mouth, no fat, rich and tasty. Piano player is delightful. Drinking Cognac at night int he lobby is wonderful.
Location: The key reason I picked Hassler. View from the room, above Spanish Steps, the stores, Metro, taxi stand. however, climbing the Spanish Steps after a long day is not fun. But, again, the view and people watching is great.
We did not spend much time at the hotel due to shorten itinerary. I cannot comment too muchthe quality of service. In my opinion, people are polite but may seems to be a bit serious, which most 5 star hotel staffs do look serious :) No one looked at your funny even you dressed like a tourists.

Last note: I forgot the restaurant across the street of Hassler. Our last night, we stop by and dranks outside for couple hours. The manager was very nice. He kept playing disco music and sang and moved around. How relaxing and fun. Not cheap but we enjoyed the moment a lot.

Will I recommend Hassler to people? most likely.

Room Tip: Room 508 works for me. Roberta or Fabina will tell you if the room has the view, will be close to el...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

I was very sorry to read about the ordeal you experienced getting to the Hassler at the beginning of yours stay. While I completely understand your frustration about the late arrival and in turn, having to pay, I hope you will appreciate that we cannot be held responsible for the Lufthansa strike you got caught in.

As to your stay itself, I was very pleased to read that you were positively impressed and enjoyed it.

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Rome was the last stop in our 2-week trip in Italy, before heading back to Milan for 3 more nights. I arrived in this city with high expectations of the most expensive hotel in our trip, Hotel Hassler, located right above the famed Spanish Steps.

In true honesty, the hotel has the hardware of a true 5-star luxury hotel, fantastic location and great rooms. What it lacked, is the warmth that we felt in all the hotels we have stayed during this trip. It failed badly even when compared to Grand Hotel Medici by Sina in Florence. The concierges in Medici and Principe di Savoia in Milan were superb, went beyond expectations and offered great suggestions to meals and site seeing.

At Hassler, the guy with the Clefs d'Or pin behind the reception was the coldest and most unfriendly guy I have met on this trip. Concierges with golden keys are not supposed that unprofessional. We requested for his assistance to book a restaurant which our Italian friend recommended on the afternoon we arrived, and were told it was closed for Summer. He made us feel we were bothering him and had wanted us to leave asap. No recommendations were given, and he brushed us off by asking us to go back to them if we have another restaurant in mind. We had to rely on the tripadvisor app for restaurant recommendations, which thankfully worked perfectly for us!

The check in was not immediate and we had to wait for rooms, reception staff simply told us to wait, and return later. Another female receptionist showed us to our room and gave the standard spiel of the room offerings. Simply cold. It was at that instant we knew we had to move as we could not imagine having to spend 5 nights at close to 2000 euros in total. We would have moved the following day if not for the 48-hour cancellation policy.

Never once the door man smiled and greeted when we passed him several times in our 2 nights stay. I have concluded not everyone who can afford to stay in this hotel will be treated equally. I felt liberated when we checked out after 2 nights and moved next door, at almost the same rate but welcomed with open arms and smiles. YES, all we were hoping for was to feel welcomed, but sadly, it was not to be. Not a dime worth!

Room Tip: You will have a good room here if you are an A-List Hollywood star.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Needless to say, I was very disappointed to learn of the negative episode you had at the Hassler earlier this month and personally ask you to please accept my apologies, for the unforgiveable circumstance that ruined your stay.

I have taken careful note of your remarks concerning our Concierge with the golden keys and admit that I was appalled to learn of his outrageous behaviour. Please be informed that I will go through your comments with him and similar action will be taken in respect to the reception staff, and measures will be adopted to avoid anything similar in the future.

While I completely understand that the internal repercussions that your information will provoke, can be of little consolation to you, I do hope that you will appreciate my efforts and will decide to put aside this one negative experience and maybe further along in the future, do decide to return, to try our service, which is based on care and attention, that I strive to have all my guests experience.

Once again - my sincerest apologies!

Roberto Wirth
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

my partner wanted to stay in the middle of everything when in Rome so I booked the Hassler.

On top of the beautiful Spanish steps you truly feel like movie stars when you come out in the evening to get into your car/taxi to go for dinner as all the tourists are celeb spotting.

when i was there a few less well known American actors stayed , brad and angelina have stayed along with tom cruze etc and the late Diana stayed many times and loved the peach bellini cocktails served in the bar.

A bit tired in places if I am honest and the cost of £1600 for 4 nights a little well a lot on the expensive side but what you get is the best in the middle of the best views and tourist spots in rome.
One night we ate at Imago the michelin star restaurant at the top of the hotel with a view of Rome and St Pauls at night truly amazing 350 Euros for the meal with wine but I was truly happy to pay it.
Breakfast in the open garden area in the morning is wonderful but at these prices what do you expect.
One evening in our best dress we ventured out of the hotel to be snapped by Japanese tourists as we walked down the spoanish steps to the trevi fountain, felt like real moviestars until we booked out and caught our easyjet flight back to Manchester.

If you can do it as it is very much worth every penny. Caught a taxi wednesday morning and got to the front during the popes speach and prayers...amazing, love Rome but if you want to do it in style the hassler it has to be.

Room Tip: best location best reputation
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to share with us your satisfaction.

It is our constant aim to render the stay of our guests in the Eternal City as pleasant and memorable as possible, and I was therefore delighted to learn that we succeeded in doing so and that you and your partner felt like movie stars!

As to your comment about “a bit tired in places” - I am happy to inform you that we have more renovation works in program – which I hope you will be able to enjoy some other time in the future.

In the meantime, we look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to stay with us.

Roberto Wirth

Been to Hotel Hassler? Share your experiences!