“Starwood Member Beware” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Eden - Dorchester Collection

You added Hotel Eden - Dorchester Collection to your Saves list
Hotel Eden - Dorchester Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Ludovisi 49, 00187 Rome, Italy (Ludovisi / Via Veneto)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #81 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Carlsbad, CA
“Starwood Member Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I had read several reviews on this site with regards to the indifferent treatment of Starwood members at the Rome hotels, but frankly believed my experience would be different. I was very wrong. The location of Hotel Eden is very central. However, from a walking point of view, be prepared for a lot of hills and stairs getting to and from the hotel. It is located at the top portion of the Spanish Steps, but you still have a very hilly area to navigate if you are a walker. That is all I have to say about the location, because after all, Rome is so beautiful.

My complaints are with respect to the staff. They were incredibly rude to us. My husband and I booked one night. We were with our 14 year old son. The front desk immediately said we were not able to check in because we had three people. They further denied any possibility of upgrading the room. My gold status with Starwood meant nothing to them. I asked about transferring our reservation to the other Starwood property in Rome, and they said I would have to attempt that myself. They would not call for us. Mind you, when in Italy, most do not have direct access to phone lines like we do in the US. So although it seems like it would have been easy to start calling about for another hotel, we did not have mobile phones and Hotel Eden would not help us out. After practically begging them to let us stay at the hotel which we had booked and used 20K star points to reserve, we were ushered to the smallest room I have ever seen at a hotel. We requested some blankets for our son to pad himself from the floor, and they treated us like vagabonds. We brought to the attention of the front desk that the leg of the chair was broken, and we were accused of breaking it, even though it was caked in old dried glue from a previous attempt to mend it. I know I am sounding petty, but please understand we were in Italy 3 weeks and encountered such warmth and friendliness from Italians. All the other hotels treated us like honored guests and with common dignity. Please expect the opposite from Starwood's Hotel Eden. We moved to a hotel in Vatican City the following day, and were delighted.

Save your points. Don't even consider throwing away your money at this Hotel. Yes, from the outside it looks very beautiful. But it all ends there.

I wrote a letter to the hotel manager to express to him our experience. His response was consistent with the attitudes shown my family and I at the Hotel Eden, and unapologetic about the unfortunate circumstances.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We loved the hotel, the staff and the location. the 6th floor restaurant had an incredible view. don't miss it, even if just for morning coffee. We found the staff to be very helpful! We could walk everywhere. The only negative is that our room was very small.

Issaquah,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We chose Hotel Eden to be our escape from the bustle of Rome, but found instead a kind of snobby hotel that is still a little noisy and the AC not so good. We used Starwood points, and usually are upgraded. Not so here. We got ground level rooms, and the first room the AC did not work. I felt we were kind of shoved aside and forgotten. Generally, at a hotel of this caliber, I am followed up with to find out if everything is satisfactory. Not so here. The staff was reasonably helpful and the hotel is nice in a historical sort of way, but there is no pool and the food is terribly expensive: $70 pp breakfast! I would not return.

Bryn Mawr, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

We had wanted to stay at the Hotel Eden for years, and having now done so we're not sure why. The location is decent, about four blocks to the Spanish Steps or the Borghese Gardens, and the public areas are lovely, but the rooms are shabby and out of date. We stayed in two different rooms and both were cramped and worn. The walls were scuffed and marked, except where large plexiglass panels had been bolted on (no doubt to counter further marring). The bathrooms were also small and the fixtures were wobbly and difficult to work. On the positive side, the views were good from the higher floors and the rooftop bar and restaurant were very pretty. Their prices, however, were exorbitant. Service was mixed. The front desk staff and the concierge were professional but a bit distant; a "welcome gift" of a bottle of champagne was never delivered despite our request, and upon checkout in the morning they tried to give us the warm bottle to take with us! We demurred, as we were about to board a plane and could not have carried it on. In all, this place could be great if some funds were put into a facelift, but until then, we'll choose another hotel for our next stay in Rome.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

Hotel Eden is in a great location -- easy walking distance from the Spanish Steps and other local attractions, such as Trevi Fountain. It's also a short walk from the hop-on/hop-off bus that takes you around the city.

We checked in early in the morning and were immediately given a room which was a huge plus. While probably large for European hotels, the room was small by US standards. Nonetheless, the bath was modern and nice. Bed was OK. TV was modern. The hotel is on a somewhat major road, so you may hear some noise.

Highly recommend the rooftof restaurant. Not cheap at all, but it has a fantastic view of Rome and both the food and service are spectacular. Make reservations early so that you get a window table. You will NOT be disappointed.

Overall, the service is good, rooms are ok, but the price will shock you. Look at the location and the price and decide if this is for you. It's a modern, comfortable hotel located near a number of tourist destinations. Service was fne. Again, defintiely recommend the restaurant for an unforgettable dinner!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

The Eden Hotel was wonderful. The staff was very professional, etc. It's in a great location, i,e, by the park, but close enough to walk to the sites. No issues with the hotel actually.
The problem I had was with restaurant at the top of the hotel: The restaurant has a fantastic view of Rome. I called the concierge to make a reservation for 2 at 8:00 pm by the window - so I had the view while eating. The concierge said that they had 7:00 pm available - but I had to be out by 8:30 pm. Or I could opt for 9:30 pm with no restrictions and I could have a window table. I opted for the 9:30 pm reservation. When I arrived, the host wanted to sit me in the back of the restaurant with no view. I explained that the concierge reserved a window table, and that I waited for the 9:30 reservation with that intention. The host said "that isn't possible", because those tables were already reserved. Two tables with a window view were open. I pressed, and the host finally sat me at a table per my reservation. Later that night, only one other group was seated after us - that was a couple who just ordered dessert.
In retrospect I don't understand what the drama was about. Given the reputation of the chef and the price range of the menu, I would have expected something more professional with less haggling. The best restaurants stick to their commitment and make you feel welcome from beginning thru end.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Granite Bay, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

We just returned from 3 nights at the Eden. The hotel is in a nice location just off Via Veneto, a main thoroughfare of Rome. The reception staff is exceptional. The concierges are a little rushed and could be more helpful. For example we asked about the OpenTour busses and they showed us where the bus picked up, but neglected to share that you need an advance ticket (?). So we waited for 20 minutes before learning we had to buy a pass. We thought this was odd. However, they did get us into a fabulous restaurant our last night, La Pergola-- a real treat.

The restaurant's views are incredible. Food was good. Sadly, we were seated next to the waiter's station and had to listen to credit card machines and the waiters chatting most of the meal, especially for the price. There is a garden restaurant but it was extremely hot on the deck.

The rooms are attractive with lovely antiques and a nice flat screen tv.

The issues we had were: The shower was a converted tub and very narrow so your feet were on angels up each side of the tub making it a little hard to stand.

The sheets were the most uncomfortable we have ever slept on--my daughter nailed it when she said they felt like sandpaper. Where are the Heavenly beds???

Also, on two of the mornings, we woke up to drilling and hammering. And although they moved us once, it didn't fix the issue. I just felt that we should have been offered some compensation for that from the manager other than a free breakfast one day. Also, we were on Starpoints and although we booked months in advance and requested a view room--we did not receive that. We found after 3 Westin stays in Europe that it seems the Europeans get the view rooms and there is some mild bias against Americans still.

The other issue that really bothered us was that normallky breakfast was not included (even though we were spending 12,000 points per night) and it was 57 EURO (about 80US) each person for a very simple buffet breakfast! We just don't think that it's smart for a hotel to insult us with such pricing. And there wasn't any coffee available. So we had to go up the street to get croissants and coffee for 5E or so.

This hotel is close to being a 5 star, but there were too many "issues" to make it that. They tout all the stars that stay in the penthouse, but what about the rest of us??

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Eden - Dorchester Collection? Share your experiences!