“Relatively quiet with some excellent Roman artwork” 4 of 5 stars
Review of National Roman Museum - Palazzo Massimo alle Terme

National Roman Museum - Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
Largo di Villa Peretti 67 | Museo Nazionale Romano, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)
(+39) 06 480201
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 688 Attractions in Rome
Type: Art Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Built onto the ruins of the Domitian theater, this splendid palazzo houses beautiful mosaics and Roman statuary.
Auckland
26 attraction reviews
“Relatively quiet with some excellent Roman artwork”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2014

Well-situated right by the central railway station, this was a nice way to finish our Roman visit. There is normally a charge for entry, but for some reason we were waved through without paying. The museum has an excellent collection of mosaics and statuary, and in the basement a huge collection of coins from the entire 2500 year history of Italy - it was particularly interesting to see the heads of a large number of emperors, and try to spot family resemblances. There are a lot of stairs (there are lifts, but they are tiny)

Visited December 2014

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St. Louis
11 attraction reviews
“A WOW - Extremely Well Curated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2014

I visited this wonderful museum on a Thursday afternoon in mid-November. I basically had the entire place to myself, literally. There may have been only a few people on each floor, and it was a serene experience. Either I got very lucky and hit it at just the right time, or this outstanding museum is overlooked by the masses.

The museum consists of four, well-organized floors. The top floor (2nd) has incredible mosaics and frescoes, the middle floor (1st) and ground floor mainly have sculptures and busts from different eras - many of which are Roman copies of Greek originals. The ground floor has the Boxer and the Prince bronze sculptures, which is what I went to see. These two pieces are incredible. The basement has a vast collection of jewels and currency. The basement also has the other thing I went to see, roman artifacts excavated from the Forum, but that room was closed.

Due to an agreement I made with my wife, I had only one hour to "do" this museum. In one hour, I breezed through all four floors, stopping only occasionally to linger at a piece that caught my eye. I certainly did not do the museum justice, and would rather have had 2 or 3 hours, but I am very glad I went if just for an hour.

Visited November 2014
New York City, New York
40 attraction reviews
“ticket is only 2.50 euros with your roma pass discount”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

2.50 Euros with the Roma pass discount.

I would recommend going early, like as soon as they open. That's exactly what three of my friends and I did on our last day in Rome. We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves to be as loud and obnoxious as we wanted (not that a crowd would have stopped us. Kidding. Sort of).

I liked this museum because it wasn't just paintings and sculptures. There were also a lot of cool artifacts and trivia about Rome. I wasn't just staring at pieces of artwork I don't understand the entire time.

There's an outdoor portion and a courtyard so if you're planning on visiting during the cooler months, you might not want to check your jacket. You'll still have to check any large bags or backpacks though (free).

It's also right near the Piazza della Repubblica if you want to check it out afterwards.

Visited September 2014
San Francisco, California
8 attraction reviews
“Outstanding museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2014

This was my favorite museum visit this trip. There were no crowds so one could stand, enjoy, walk around the statutary and appreciate the beauty of each piece. The mosaics and the frescos were gorgeous. Whoever the curator was who put these exhibits together gets my highest compliments for a gorgeous venue which is very visitor-friendly. I would recommend this museum to everyone.

Visited November 2014
Canberra, Australia
48 attraction reviews
“A hidden treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

We stayed near Rome Termini, the central train and bus station in 2012 and again in 2014. Thanks to the Rome hop on, hop off bus commentary we discovered Palazzo Massimo, which we had walked by many times. This is treasure house of excellent Roman art. The 2nd floor (piano secondo) was the highlight for us with marble mosaic art, incorporating gold and mother of pearl. The reconstruction of Livia's garden with wall paintings from her villa where you can sit and enjoy the fine art she commissioned. Livia was the wife of Caesar Augustus. This villa was part of her dowry, which her generous husband let her keep. In the basement, there is a rare mummy of a young girl and some beautiful jewellery and coins. Lots of fine sculpture in between. We visited twice to ensure we enjoyed all the treasures many of which were revealed when Termini was built. As a bonus, your ticket can also be used to visit the nearby Baths of Diocletian including the cloister of Michelangelo. A visit to Michelangelo's redesigned Basilica, Santa Maria degli Angeli, beside the baths was another highlight. The Basilica was built inside the frigidarium of the baths. Pope Clement XI commissioned astronomer, Francesco Bianchini, to build a sundial/meridian into the marble floor completed in 1702. Its a thing of beauty too - both scientifically and artistically. All 3 are within a couple of minutes walk of Rome Termini's trains and metro. Do yourself a favour and visit all 3 over a day or two.

Visited October 2014