“Ok location, decent bed, great shower, free Internet. Bargain online price.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Civico 31 B&B

Save Saved
You added Civico 31 B&B to your Saves list
Civico 31 B&B
Via Cairoli 31, 00185 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #163 of 2,676 Rome B&B and Inns
“Ok location, decent bed, great shower, free Internet. Bargain online price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

For the bargain online price it was a score. Excellent shower, located not far from Termini & Colosseum. Only major criticism was one night was really tired and there was only one English language channel on Pay TV. Doesn't matter if your dining out or sightseeing. Which I did the other nights.

• Stayed May 2012

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I hate repeating what other reviewers say, but it's all true. The rooms are exactly as they appear in the photos - spacious and comfortable and decorated with vintage movie posters. A kitchenette outside the room for coffee/tea etc. A great location in a quiet area, 5 minutes from the Metro and 10 minutes from many famous landmarks.
Shortly after landing in Rome, we got a text from Max, checking that we had arrived and could find our way safely to the B&B - not a problem with the directions on the website. He greeted us warmly and made sure we had everything we needed. As this was out third visit to Rome we didn't need too much more help from Max in getting around (and I think he was a bit disappointed with this) but he was available 24/7 if needed. We'll be back :-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Campobasso, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I've been at Civico 31 two times (in December 2012 and January 2013 ) and I am sure to go back again.
First of all the owner Max is a really nice kind guy who will help you with anything.
Second, the rooms are very comfortable and really nice. Any vintage lover would go crazy because there are giant movie posters (I was in the room with the Liz Taylor's Cleopatra one) and antique pieces of furniture.
Third, the price was really fair.

To sum up, I would really recommend this place and I am sure to go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have just spent 4 nights at Max's B & B and had a very comfortable stay. It is within walking distance from the Colosseum and in an area where one can find a pharmacy and grocer which helped us a lot since we visited with children.. The breakfast is served in a welcoming and good Bar (make sure to taste the delicious croissants freshly baked daily). We would have loved to have a kettle in the room but then again the bar always gave us warm water needed for our baby. Would consider to stay here another time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Roscommon, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you've read alot of reviews already about B&B Civico then you'll have seen lots and lots of very positive comments about the owner Max. You'll probably think to yourself how can this guy be so good and get such warm praise from his guests and is the B&B Civico really that good? You might also aks yourself should I not stay in a hotel where there are maybe more facilities or should I stay in a more famous or well known neighbourhood?
I've been to Rome four times now and have stayed in budget hotels each time. They have all been fine but B&B Civico stands out head and shoulders above them all. The reason is the personable yet unobtrusive service from the owner Max and the way that he will go an extra mile or ten to help you!!
We (myself, my wife and her sister)were on a cruise prior to our stay in Rome. We had originally planned to take the train back to Rome from Civitavecchia but my wifes sister injured her foot and we reckoned that a taxi would be the best option. The ship could organise a taxi for us but it was going to cost €150! To cut a long story short I (cheekily) asked Max whether he knew of any taxi company or driver that could take us from Civitavecchia to B&B Civico in Rome. Max got a quote from a taxi company for us and then booked it for us to arrive when we wanted on our day of disembarkation from the cruise and it cost €50 less that what the ship had quoted because Max didnt take any comission or make any charge for organising it. Then when we arrived at the B&B Max was there to greet us in person. So if you ask me is all the praise you read on trip advisor and elsewhere deserved well my answer is yes absolutely and doesnt my story above illustrate that. I think that its true to say that other accommodation providers could learn alot from Max!
The B&B has a real character thanks to Max and his love of antique film posters! Each room has its own character and is spotlessly clean and well maintained. Max has really thought about what visitors need when staying at his B&B so he has little essentials like a wine opener and travel plug adapters in each room along with a map of rome. Also at your disposal are guide books and umberellas and if you need to use the internet he will happily let you use his laptop.
The B&B is located in a lovely yet sort of unknown area of Rome not too far from Termini (its about a 15 to 20 min walk). There is a bus stop very close to the B&B that will take you to Termini where most other buses can be found. The metro is also close by (about a 5 min walk) at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II so getting around is no problem (my tip for getting around Rome is to use the buses rather than metro). We asked Max for some recommendations of places to eat in the neighbourhood and he dropped in a list of restaurants and gelataria with maps not only near the B&B but also in other areas of Rome. We tried his recommendations (Da Danilo and Trattoria Angelino) and they were excellent, great food reasonably priced.
In Rome accommodation is not cheap and you could certainly pay alot more for a lot less. So if you want to stay somewhere where you are warmly welcomed and have the extensive knowledge of a thorough gentleman such as Max then book yourself into the B&B Civico, I know I will on my next visit to Rome!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, it must be highlighted that the most distinctive "feature", if you will, at this B&B is Max who is one of the owners. He exudes so much friendliness and warmth that it is no exaggeration that meeting him is like meeting up with an old friend. He is contactable at all times and is ever willing to help out with anything that his guests require. In fact, he is sometimes a step ahead like when he suggested that leave my big luggage bag in his office when I went to Florence for a few days so that I only had to deal with my smaller bag on that trip.

The B&B is in an apartment block with no signage whatsoever so I was a little concerned when the taxi driver stopped and told me this was the place I was looking for. But the concern was only momentary as Max came bounding out to greet me before I'd even stepped out of the taxi as he'd been on the lookout from me. I'd arrived earlier than the check-in time and left my bags in his office while I went out to explore the area with the map Max has provided me in hand.

The immediate surrounding area is quiet although a 2 minutes walk will take you to Piazza Vittorio where there are many shops and bars (which is where you go to get coffee and sandwiches rather than the normal idea of what a "bar" is). There is also a park and the Vittorio Emanuele metro stop. That makes it very convenient to get to the city centre if you are the sort to take the public transport. Personally, I prefer to walk and the Colosseum is a leisurely 10 minutes walk from the B&B while the city centre takes about 45 minutes on foot.

The B&B is also close to Roma Termini (about 10-15 minutes walk). When you exit the station, turn left and then immediately left again so that you are walking down Via Giovanni Giolitti which runs along the length of the station and beyond. Keep to the right side of that road and walk for about 10 minutes until you see Via Cairoli on the right. Turn into Via Cairoli and walk along it. The B&B (No. 31) is at the other end of Via Cairoli just before you hit Via Emanuele Filiberto. Alternatively, a taxi ride will cost about €7-8.

The room is a delight to behold! Spacious and comfortable with a double bed, the walls are hung with frames vintage posters and music sheet covers - a mini gallery in itself. The bathroom / toilet is also of a comfortable size and equipped with the basic amenities - bath wash, hand wash (both is full sized bottles and not the annoying little ones), towels and hairdryer. It is also kept immaculately clean by no less than Max himself. I can safely say this is the best room I've stayed in in all my travels. Max let me peek into a couple of other unoccupied rooms when I told him that I adored the vintage posters and they were all as beautiful as my own room.

The room opens out to a small corridor share with three other rooms. In the corridor, there is a little kitchenette equipped with a water jug, a coffee machine, coffee and tea and a mini refrigerator. The tap water is perfectly safe for drinking so I simply refilled my bottle every morning before I went out instead of spending euros on bottled water. It can always be refilled later at one of the many water fountains dotting Rome and the fountain water tastes wonderful!

Also, there is a computer with internet access in the corridor for the use of guests. It's a bit slow but adequate for reading the more important emails, checking the weather or checking in for flights. I checked in for my flight online, emailed the confirmation to Max who printed it out for me within 5 minutes. He also advised me to book my tickets to the Vatican Museums online and helped me to do so on his own computer. That was really great advice as it allowed me to bypass the long queues for tickets.

Breakfast is at Bar Trani which is just around the corner from the B&B. Max puts a breakfast voucher in the room everyday after cleaning so you just bring that voucher, present it to the nice guys at Bar Trani and you get your coffee and pastry/sandwich.

Would I recommend this B&B to other travellers? In a heartbeat! It is fantastic value for money, really gives the feel of being "at home" and there is Max who is extremely warm and hospitable and truly feels like a friend rather than someone you meet for the first time. Yes, it is a bit far from the usual, main attractions in the city centre but the metro stop is just 2-3 minutes away so that really is a non-issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor if stairs pose a problem for you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Limassol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We've stayed to this B&B for 2 nights in October 2012. The owner Max is very helpfull and kind and he is the reason why this place has so many good reviews. The b&b is in walking distance to the termini station but you have to study the route in google maps in order to find it. It is also very close to Vittorio Emanuelle metro station (60-80 metres). The brekfast (Sandwich or Croissant and Coffee) is server in a very nice small bar (Bar Trani) 30 metres from the b&b. The main attractions are in walking distance. We walked from the b&b to the colosseum (around 15 minutes) then we walked towards pantheon , fontana di trevi and spanish steps. From there we got the metro back to vittorio emanuelle station. if you want to go to the vatican you have to take the metro and stop at ottaviano metro station. The room is clean and nicely decorated but it hasnt got a refrigerator which might be a must on summer months.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Civico 31 B&B? Share your experiences!