“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Trattoria al 19

Trattoria al 19
Via del Boschetto, 19, 00184 Rome, Italy (Monti)
+39 06 4826096
Neighborhood: Monti
Lincolnshire
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have been staying in the Monti area of Rome for the last week, this is the worst meal we encountered. I would urge you not to waste your money. Our party of 6 ordered a plain mixed antipasto to share which was ok. We then ordered 5 plain dishes of pasta ranging from Carbonara to a simple Amatriciana. We had powdered Parmesan, the carbonara was bright yellow no egg cream and the raw lardons were floating in an oily soup. We started the whole process by trying to order a basic Chianti to go with all , after 3 choices as none of the wines were in stock we gave up and asked the waiter what he had. This was preceded by lots of running in and out of the restaurant as he seemed to be getting bottles of wine from the house next door which we were bemused by. We complained about the food - the waiter ignored us presented us with a 95euro bill and really wasn't bothered. We were just silly tourists there to be ripped off never to be seen again. Save your money - we are guessing that its in financial trouble... Go with the good reviews of the many restaurants in the area.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Probably the worst Carbonara I've tasted (and left); the restaurant had an extensive wine list, but with a significant number "n”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant was quiet but we decided to give it a go. We tried to order some reasonably priced Lazio local wine....but we were slightly puzzled when the first four wines we picked on the extensive list were unavailable. The starter we shared was quite nice, but when we got to our mains, it was a different story. The carbonara was extremely poor....the sauce being a bright yellow goo in the bottom of the bowl, with a unpleasant aftertaste. My girlfriends vegetarian option was also extremely disappointing.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
wiganuk
“One of the worst restaurants I have ever eaten in.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Avoid this restaurant at all costs. We had to wait over an hour for our meal. They had one waiter and this quite obviously wasn't enough. This also applies to the cook, or cooks.
When my meal finally came it was terrible. I'd ordered lamb with potatoes. I'd had this at a different restaurant the previous night and it was very nice, so thought I would try it at this restaurant.
The 'lamb' was bones and fat. There was virtually no meat at all. To me it is what you would give the dog after all the meat has been removed. We complained, but they didn't want to know.
My husband ordered a meal that was supposed to have mushrooms in it, but there weren't any. Again he complained about this, but to no avail.
I was totally disgusted with the total lack of customer service. They didn't even apologise.
The food wasn't cheap, so the lack of quality was completely unacceptable.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bourne End, United Kingdom
“Try This One”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Although empty of other guests we decided to try this small restaurant as we liked the menu. We enjoyed a hot smoked salmon starter, absolutely delicious, followed by one of the best sea bass meals we have ever had. The wine was all reasonably priced and the white wine recommended was excellent.The staff were very pleasant and attentive. They have a busier restaurant next door (No16) but try this one instead.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Quiet street, busy restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Artorius on this street and went to 4 restaurants on the block. This was one of the best. We walked in without a reservation at 9:00 on a Sunday night but they seate us quickly. The service was a little slow but there seemed to be only one wautress and she was run off her feet, but we weren't in a rush. The menu was a little different. We shared an appetizer plate of rolled eggplant, what looked like a tamale and smoked salmon rolled around buffalo cheese which was very good. My husband had the spagghetti and I had the carbonara which were both excellent. The house wine was good as well. Of the 4 restaurants we went too on the block this was one of the most reasonable and the food was great. There were lots of locals. I would certainly return but I would reserve and go a little earlier next time.

• Visited October 2012