“A real find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Filettaro a Santa Barbara

Dar Filettaro a Santa Barbara
Largo dei Librari, 88, Rome, Italy (Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori)
06.6864018
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Tisvildeleje, Denmark
“A real find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

One evening when I didn’t feel like eating a lot, I stood in line outside Dar Filettaro a Santa Barbara and six minutes later was shown to my table. I ordered only one filetto di baccalá, puntarelle condite, water and white wine and I was in heaven. I noticed that there were a lot of tourists form other parts of Italy who clearly were enjoying the food. So much so, that many of them kept on ordering more and more baccalá. Impressive!

Next time I’m in Rome, I’ll be waiting in line again for another baccalá fix, that’s for sure. And puntarelle, too. And next time, I’ll go when I’m hungry!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great Fried Fish!...and try the punterelle.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

There is really only one item on the menu here, the fried fish fillet. but it's very good. You're guaranteed to get it hot because the place is full from opening time on. The fish doesn't sit for long.

There's almost always a lineup. It's a small space, crowded, and the service is fast because they want to get you in and out quickly. Don't expect a long leisurely meal.

If you're there at the right time of year, winter and spring, the Punterelle alla Romana is a great side dish. It's a salad of bitter greens, a kind of chicory, with an anchovy dressing.

We tried the house wine once and wouldn't again. Beer is a much better choice.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
simi valley, ca
“Fish without the Chips”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I admit, my husband is mad for fish and chips. When we go to London he will have that every single night.
In Rome, this small place near the Campo, is famous for it's rendition of deep fried Bacala.
The fish is great, the service is sometimes abrupt, the side dishes are okay.
My husband loves the anchovies, bread and butter, like that fried fish isn't enough fish for him. And I do like the Puntarella in season.
But somehow..for me..I need those fries so the experience is just missing something for me.
That's entirely subjective though (and really ..how much fried stuff do I need?)

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Olivebridge, New York
“gourmet comfort food - deep fried fillet of cod”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Dar Filettaro a Santa Barbara is next to the Campo Di Fioro piazza; opens at 6pm. the menu is simple, but the food is delicious.
we sat down to eat, but the locals would walk in, go straight to the kitchen and ask the chef for a fillet to go (Una filetti di baccala porta via, per favore!). Let me tell you - once you try the fillet, the cravings for more are guaranteed! it is a generous size fillet, crispy on the outside and moist, juicy on the inside, perfectly seasoned as well - no need for vinegar there.
add to that perfect bread, arugula salad and you are set! their marinated mushroom medley was great - just a tad sweet and sour, not too salty.
as in all Italian restaurants, sitting down to eat is more expensive. So, if you want the experience without the added cost, just ask for a filet to go. but sitting outside, in the tiny piazza in front of the restaurant and the curch of Santa Barbara is fun too.

• Visited July 2011