“Wonderful food and service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Alexandria, Virginia
“Wonderful food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were told about this place by a colleague of a friend who lived in Rome as a can't miss experience. They were right! I ordered the lamb chops and still think about them. Perfectly cooked. Our friendly wait staff moved us to a better table after I complained about sitting right at the door to the restaurant. They also made excellent wine recommendations. Great food, service and ambiance. I got the impression that many hotels send people this way, but we were glad we took our friend's recommendation.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“I go back every time in Rome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I am not one to wirte these types of reviews..... but after numerous great experiences.... this restaurant deserves my time and my stamp of approval. Whenever I am fortunate enough to be in Rome.... it is on my list.

This restaurant sums up Italy for me.... great food, great wine, great people... all wrapped in incredible history.

The owner and staff are always welcoming. They even remember us... four years later. Great location.... centrally located but secluded just enough.... not touristy.

I literally dream about their cod appetizer and veal cheek entree - 2 of the most delicious things you will ever eat. The homemade pastas are also incredible. Great wine list. Good desserts.

Try their tasting menu... which includes all my favorites. Not a lot of food.... but all delicious.

It can all be a little pricey (especially with a good bottle of wine).... not for the tourist on a budget..... but authentic and worth it!

Make sure to put his one on your list!!! You won't regret it!

Am sure I'll go back again next time!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Levittown, New York
“Not To Be Missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We went on the recommendation of our hotel concierge . A pure gem, not to be missed. Service was impeccable , atmosphere serene. The Gnocchi with asparagus and pistachio was subtle and tasty. Rigatoni con vongoli superb. I can't say enough about the desserts the coffee, the wine and the after dinner drinks. For dessert try the semifreddo with macaroon sauce, or the fragole with pistachio gelato.

Visited September 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great Dining Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had dinner at Clemente upon the recommendation of the concierge at the Waldorf Astoria. Our time was well spent. Atmosphere was great. We were seated at the one table positioned at the doors that could be opened to the patio. Our waiter opened the doors and so could enjoy the view inside and out into the piazza. The menu was diverse enough for our taste. We arrived early (7:30) with few patrons there but it was very busy by the time we left a couple hours later. We were greeted by a friendly and attentive waiter. I had braised veal cheeks with a red wine sauce and potatoes purè and my girlfriend had spaghetti with parmigiano, ewe's cheese, pepper and crisp zucchini (Spaghetti rigati, cacio e pepe con zucchine croccanti). Her only complaint was the martini was too strong (i thought they were suppose to be...lol) and she was right. The wine selection was vast so the waiter recommended a red wine which was excellent. The pace of service was was good. We weren't in a hurry and they never rushed us. Recommend a visit and we would return.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Short Hills, New Jersey, United States
“Dinner at Clemente Alla Maddalena”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Had dinner at this restaurant last night recommended by the concierge at our hotel. Food was very good, (not cheap!) atmosphere wonderful as it is located in a charming piazza in front of a very old church. Service was very good as well and I would have given 4 stars at least, if not for the following:

It would be great if they could do something about the local hawkers trying to sell you everything from roses to light-up helicopters to stuffed animals that dance while you are trying to enjoy the experience. (There were no less than 20 of them in the 90 or so minutes of our dinner, and they just stand in front of you while you are eating, holding out their crap and smiling. It is very annoying and the first time I had been accosted by so many at one meal.

Also, I have never before been charged for bread (4 euro) in an Italian restaurant, so that was a bit of a shock. They charged for still water too, (6 euro for that) but a least it was bottled, (they really should tell you up front about these nuisance charges) and they add a service charge of 10 percent to your bill, which I had not seen once in two weeks in Italy. When I questioned it I was told "but there is no cover charge" (I had only seen that once in Positano). Is that cover charge for the accordion player in the square who comes to my table with a cup between songs? The shame is, now I have to ask before I sit down at a restaurant if they charge for these things.

So, with the exception of one other time, when I was charged 5 Euro for a cloth to clean my glasses in Capri, (I know, I did not have to pay it, and I shouldn't have) it was the first time after 2 weeks in Italy that I felt a little clipped.
However, if none of these things would bother you, then I would say, and a star and by all means, go.

Caio.