“"Beautiful boutique hotel with so much charm"” 5 of 5 stars

Relais Maddalena
Piazza della Maddalena, 6, 00186 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #192 of 2,698 Rome B&B and Inns
toronto
“"Beautiful boutique hotel with so much charm"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel will spoil you with comfort, ambiance and decor. My husband and I, along with our two daughters stayed here for three nights in the family suite. It was absolutely beautiful and extremely comfortable. The air conditioning actually works keeping the room cool during the summer months when the days a really hot. This locations is perfect, within walking distance to the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. Beside the hotel is a little restaurant that serves before dinner drinks and snacks, a great place to unwind after a long day. You are close to so many restaurants and cafe's, as well as great shopping. THe room has a mini bar which is stocked daily and filled with wine, water, pop and goodies. This is free of charge to all guests, which is a nice added touch. The hotel itself is in a a piazza, which is very charming, noise is minimal and nothing to complain about. Upon our arrival we were greeted by Francesca and Franceso. Such wonderful hosts. The helped us with our luggage and gave a tour of the hotel. Breakfast is included in the price. The buffet has an assortment of fruit, cheese, cured meats, cereal, breads, jams that is a great start to your day. There is nothing that Francesco won't do for you. He really takes the time to explain Rome and the surrounding areas as well as some of the monuments off the beaten path. Be sure to visit his gelato parlour, it is the best in Italy. We are so looking forward to returning to this little gem.

Room Tip: If travelling with the family, no need to get two room. The suite is so big with ample room for lug...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Location, location, location. A charming, clean and up-scale place to stay, but the real draw is the location. Two minutes to the Pantheon, five minutes to Piazza Navona, 10 minutes to the Spanish Steps, 30 minutes to the Colosseum and the Vatican - all through cobbled street lined with great stores and restaurants. I knew I would enjoy my visit but was surprised that I fell in love with Rome largely because of this lovely little hotel that placed us in the centre of everything. It sits on a small piazza with bars, restaurants and street entertainment that all conveniently closed down just in time for us to get a good night sleep. The rooms are tastefully decorated, the bathrooms very modern and a thoughtful complementary mini bar is provided along with a lovely breakfast in an attractive room overlooking the church on the piazza.

• Stayed October 2012
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Absolutely charming beyond all expectations and cleaner and more comfortable than any other room we've enjoyed in Europe (France, Switzerland, and Italy). My wife was so pleased when we walked into the room to find it beautifully decorated and designed with wine and cookies waiting and a free mini-bar. "We've never stayed anywhere like this!" she said. I use TripAdvisor like crazy and booked this hotel for our final two honeymoon nights about 6 months ahead, which was very lucky as I found out they were booked solid 4 months out. I considered finding a less expensive option multiple times, but am so very happy I stuck to Relais Maddalena. The double room with a view was perfect and I'm sure the other rooms are just as impressive.

The bed was so tempting at night and in the middle of the day when we needed a break. How easy the location made taking breaks, too... Perfect. Right next to the best preserved ancient building in Rome, the Pantheon. So easy to get a taxi, hop on a bus, or walk anywhere. The room also included state of the art television, good wifi, air-conditioning, and the most impressive and necessary double-glazed windows that blocked out 85-90% of the sound from the very busy square below. The rest of the sound was drowned out by the hum of the AC (had 3 settings plus automatic, put it on 3 to do the trick). The curtains couldn't possibly block all the light out (the square stays lit at night), and we like it pitch black at night, so we used the extra pillows to block the rest out. The shower was also very nice, but make sure you attempt to close the door with it in the middle of the rubber, so it doesn't leak like it did on my wife (I took two long showers without any water spilling).

We found the woman who greeted us very charming even though neither my wife or I speak fluent Italian, we communicated just fine. We never had any problems, and even called the "concierge" (Francesco Amore, the proprietor) multiple times to get reservations, taxis, wifi code, etc. I didn't meet Francesco face to face until I settled the bill, and then I found myself speaking to him for a while. I have never met a friendlier Italian man! Francesco let me know that they're in the process of hiring new reception and haven't filled the position for a week or so. Unfortunately, that means there's not a whole lot of assistance for guests who need the availability of on-site 24-hour English-fluent reception (bummer for ConnieNumbers, the reviewer just before me). I knew that if I had any problems day or night, I could contact someone at the hotel even though my expectation wasn't to have a full service hotel (since I found the hotel on TA as a B&B and have spent a little time in Rome). Therefore we were careful with our keys and had zero problems.

We'll stay here again when we go back to Rome and will recommend it to any friends and family visiting Rome. As more rooms have been recently finished and the hotel is growing, I would expect anyone (new visitors to Rome, or returning) could find everything they need right here. If you're in doubt, contact them and you'll feel at ease. If your time in Rome is for a special occasion, or you just want better than average room and service, stay here.

Room Tip: Room 1810 was a room with a view and was perfect for a honeymoon.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Calabash, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent. The service, however, was not good. When we arrived there was a woman on the first floor who was trying to check us in but didn't speak English. Hard to communicate. There is no front desk! No one is there in the evening. If you get locked out, or forget your key, there is no way to get in touch with anyone or get into the hotel. The front door is completely locked and you need a key to get in. No one told us how to unlock the first floor door or how to get a hold of Fransceso. I expected that someone would always be there in case of emergency or in case of questions. After all, you're in a foreign country and if no one speaks English when you get there, it is not a comfortable feeling. Would not go there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RelaisMaddalena, Proprietario at Relais Maddalena, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear ConnieNumbers,
while reading your harsh review I am amazed at how you transformed a personal experience of dislike into a universal judgment of defamation against our hotel.

Most of your remarks in this review are based on your assumptions, but I would have very much appreciated it if you could get the time to discuss them with me before your departure, as a sign of respect.

Namely, I would like to object to some of your statements:

Q: "When we arrived there was a woman on the first floor who was trying to check us in.."
A: ..."trying"? ....she is a regular worker and she DID check you in

Q: "...but didn't speak English. Hard to communicate"
A: True, but she speaks French and I do speak English and you and I were able to talk later in the afternoon.

Q: "There is no front desk!"
A: We do have a front desk

Q: "No one is there in the evening"
A: As a matter of fact, I myself am usually on duty until late at night every night.

Q: "If you get locked out, or forget your key, there is no way to get in touch with anyone or get into the hotel"
A: Once in front of the door, you can ring the bell; otherwise, dial the phone number of the hotel : +39 06 68805537. We don't leave anybody on the street!

Q: "The front door is completely locked and you need a key to get in"
A: You need a key to get in the front door, and we gave it to you

Q: "or how to get a hold of Fransceso"
A: As soon as I am told someone is looking for me I called them, I always do it.

Q: "However I expected that someone would always be there in case of emergency or in case of questions. After all, you're in a foreign country and if no one speaks English when you get there, it is not a comfortable feeling.
A: Exactly, we are here and are always ready for any necessity.

Apparently nobody heard the bell ring when you checked in. Because of this, you were kept waiting at the front door on the piazza for quite a few minutes before our personnel could let you upstairs.
This is very disappointing and we will never apologize enough!

But I can assure you that this was an unvoluntary and rare circumstance.
Although it shouldn't have been so, you waited at the most 5 to 10 minutes at the door: is that so unforgivable?

Best Regards,
Francesco Amore
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Being our first visit to Rome we wanted to be in the centre of things and the Relais Maddalena delivered on all counts. Thank you to Francesco and all the staff for looking after us so well with the advice about where to eat and things to do. We will certainly visit the city again and now know where to stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Villa Park, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

On our 2 week trip through Europe, we stopped for 3 days & 2 nights in Rome and stayed at Relais Maddalena - IT WAS PERFECT. They picked us up from the airport after our overnight flights, which was great. We arrived early so our room wasn't ready yet, so they stored our bags and we explored Rome. The LOCATION of Relais Maddalena is perfect...right next to the Pantheon and Pantheon Piazza, which is a great Piazza. It's right in the middle of Ancient Rome and the Vatican, so you can easily walk to both (15-20 minutes to each, but it's wonderful walking through the streets of Rome!). The room itself was very large, the beds were comfortable, the A/C worked perfect, the bathroom was large, the shower was large, everything honestly was wonderful. The hospitality of the hotel was superb - so kind, so helpful. Our room had a view of the Piazza below and I recommend the view...it's wonderful to listen to the sounds of Rome from your bed :) Stay at this wonderful B&B, I promise you will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RelaisMaddalena, Proprietario at Relais Maddalena, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Sarah G,
thank you very much for your positive comments and recommendation.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Siincerely,
Dubbo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was not our first visit to Rome so major tourist attractions were not on the agenda. We chose this location because of the old town atmosphere. Opted for the pick-up at the airport after a 23 hour flight. What fun to be chauffeured into Rome in a black Mercedes, winding in and out of little streets.
We had no idea what to expect when the driver pointed to the "green door" in the piazza and said that was our hotel entrance.
Push the buzzer and the door was opened by a welcoming lady eager to help us with the bags to the second level via a wide staircase.
The rooms are what we would call traditional older style italian, perfectly clean, comfortable bed, adequate bathroom with a large shower recess. It was everything we had hoped for and in the perfect location.
Our room overlooked the square and although the noise was their until midnight we felt it added to the experience and atmosphere.
The highlight each morning was the excellent breakfast. A great start to the day.
Spent 3 nights here and would certainly return again.

Dear Terry C,
thank you very much for your positive comments and recommendation.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Siincerely,

Been to Relais Maddalena? Share your experiences!