We stayed at this lovely little hotel solely based on the outstanding Trip Advisor Reviews and we had high expectations for our stay. While I would be hard pressed to "fault" the property, there were some things that fell short for us given the wonderful experience of others.
The important thing to emphasize is that this is a well appointed, well cared for hotel. The rooms are spotless and for us, decorated to perfection. It is contemporary without being cold, and the room was very functional. We were pleased to find a small dressing room behind our bed complete with dresser storage. Many more contemporary places sacrifice function for form, and I am happy to say that Babuino does not. Given the calibre of the room we were surprised to find peeling ceiling paint from water damage, as well as a worn area in the entry floor. Some of the walls were blemished as well. Still, quite minor in the grand schema.
1. We called and requested early check in IF POSSIBLE, and a quiet room on an upper floor IF AVAILABLE. We made our reservations months in advance. We were placed on the 2nd floor in a room facing a main street with bars. LOUD party goers until the wee hours made sleeping a challenge. We also had a three hr. wait to get into our room, and were unable to rest(jetlag) as there was LOUD banging, drilling, etc. going on in the hotel. It took us 30 min. to get someone to answer the phone when we called about it, and were then told it was exterior noise. IT WAS NOT and after i insisted, the rep offering to look into it. An hour later, the noise slowed down. Glass doors were being replaced throughout the hotel. A VERY LOUD PROCESS
2. We did not find the desk staff to be particularly friendly nor helpful. We received no offer to help with luggage nor useful advice. For example, we interrupted a clerk's personal call when we asked if there might be any stores open on a Sunday. His response was "It is up to the store. You will have to walk around and see". We did and almost everything WAS open. Wondered why he simply could not have said that.
3. Breakfast hours are short and we managed to make it once. Very sparse options, but it was wonderful to sit on the rooftop. The staff was also lovely.
4. Our room had a "king" bed which was really 2 twin beds pushed together, The sheet did not entirely cover the ends and during the night we ender up on bare mattress with a 6 inch split between the beds. SOOO uncomfortable!
5. Basic items such as water, toilet paper, etc. were never replaced. We had to ask for it.
The hotel is very expensive and I think we will look elsewhere where we next return to Rome. Again, the room was attractive, but we did not find it worth the added expense given our experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rome’s most exclusive boutique hotel, on Rome’s most exclusive street. Babuino 181 is located in the best location in Rome, in the heart of the upscale Spanish Steps quarter. And every bit of it is as chic as its neighboring boutiques. Step between Rome’s top fashion designers, disappear through discreet glass doors… and enter another dimension of Italian boutique luxury. After a day of inspiration touring Rome’s sites, come back to your home in Rome. Sip a cocktail on the brand-new, rooftop terrace overlooking Rome’s beautiful streets. Soak in a spacious marble bath. Slide between Frette sheets. Rest in comfort—and with the confidence that, no matter what you need or what personalized service you require, Babuino 181’s professional staff can make it happen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, MrandMrsSmith and Hotels.com so you can book your Babuino 181 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Babuino 181 Hotel Rome