“like to rate it higher, but wouldn't go back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Babuino 181

You added Babuino 181 to your Saves list
Babuino 181
2.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Via del Babuino 181, 00187 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)   |
Ranked #13 of 1,268 Hotels in Rome
Melbourne, Australia
“like to rate it higher, but wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The location is nice, near Spanish steps, and the staff were the highlight......very good.

But we booked two deluxe king rooms which they tried to get 460 euros each for directly, but through a discount site we got for 280 euros, and it wasn't high season. For the rooms we got , which were very disappointing .....this is too much.
Also the noise was terrible from the street, even though it had double glazing. It made no difference, so expect a broken nights sleep.

For a reasonably new establishment well recommended, the rooms were shabby and needed a paint, and the showers had grout off everywhere.
Go elsewhere for this price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
assemh, Owner at Babuino 181, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Mr Toorak,

I wanted to thank you for writing a review on our boutique hotel Babuino 181.

I was very glad to see that you enjoyed our Spanish Steps location and that you thought our staff was very helpful.

I want to point out that the higher rate you found on our web site was for a deluxe suite while your booking was for a double room. We don't use discount sites and we operate on a "rate parity" basis on all e-channels.

I apologize that your room was not in a perfect form. The problem you experienced came from an unfortunate leak in the shower which has now been repaired.

If you plan to come back to Rome please contact me directly and I will make sure that you will experience Babuino 181 at its best!

Alberto Moncada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Indonesian first
austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I go to Rome once a year and it is an endless hotel hunt for me. This was a real surprise. It's a great location- central to everything but far enough away from the crowds of the Spanish Steps which feels claustrophobic to me. The front desk staff is helpful and efficient. Our room was great- it had a living room eating area, large bedroom, large bathroom, a powder room and a covered balcony. It is a little loud at night because of the outdoor restaurant next to the hotel but it didn't keep me up at night. They have an espresso machine in the room that I didn't know I would enjoy so much. Before dinner, you can go to the rooftop and they put drinks out and you can serve yourself. Everything was clean and for Rome, it was a really good sized room. It's a very laid back hotel so it's perfect if you know what you are doing in Rome. I really enjoyed my stay at Babuino 181.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is in a wonderful location, the rooms are modern and very clean. The breakfast could be better; can you imagine a Hotel in Italy with no fresh bread in the breakfast? The staff was not helpful . I had a problem in the bathroom, it was impossible to have a shower without flooding the room. I've asked the staff to solve my problem (not once, but three times!!) and they did absolutely nothing, this is unacceptable in a hotel like this...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
assemh, Proprietario at Babuino 181, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Claudia,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Babuino 181. We were very disappointed to hear that you experienced a problem during your stay at our hotel and I want to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. As you know, there was a small leak at the base of your shower and we could not get it properly repaired during your stay. Because we were fully booked, we were unable to move you to another room, but I have spoken to the staff about what could have been done to alleviate your concern. We pride ourselves in the responsiveness of our staff so I am very sorry to hear they did not properly communicate to you about the timing of this repair. I am glad you enjoyed our contemporary rooms and location in the center of Rome. Please accept my apologies and feel free to contact me directly if you are traveling to Rome again so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.

Alberto Moncada
NorCal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent six days here in late September. The room was modern, as is the whole hotel, with a very nice bathroom. The front desk staff was exceptional and provided us with many excellent recommendations for lunches and dinners. As others have commented the breakfast on the roof top patio is expensive and found it easier to use the excellent in room espresso, coffee and tea maker to start our days. We also went to the local market (Saintsbury? ask at the front desk) for our breakfast items and snacks.

One MUST DO is the food tour, do not eat breakfast before hand!! We were able to schedule the tour for our first day in Rome and very fortunate to have Luna as our guide, what an amazing experience. We had the best pasta, actually three different pastas, at one of our stops on the tour. I could go on and on about the Deli, the pizza, the Market..... Do Not Miss the Food Tour!

One comment on the restaurants, all the pasta we ate in Rome, exceptin on the Food Tour, was no better than we have at home after buying a box of dry pasta at the local market.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back should have less street noise. We always travel with Macks ear plugs so noise was...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
central auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My Partner and I stayed for 3 wonderful nights at the beginning of August 2012.
The Hotel is contemporary, stylist and very comfortable. The location is great, only a couple of minutes from the Spanish Steps, so you are right in the thick of many cafes and boutiques. We ate at Cafe Angelina (located at Via Poli, 27, a couple of minutes away from the Trevi. on 2 occasions and would recommend.
We stayed in room 205 on the second floor facing onto a courtyard so it was quiet. The room was great, very clean, a really good size, with a very nice bathroom, although the shower was over the bath, the towels where always fresh (they seemed to be replaced every time we left the room). The bed was king sized with very nice linen and was very comfortable.
The staff where pleasant, although we didn't notice them going out of their way as some of the other reviews mention.
We only discovered the breakfast on the roof top on the last morning, it was a very nice selection and the roof top terrace is lovely, most definitely recommend doing at least one morning of your stay. And where not aware of the drinks in the evening.
Our only complaint where the Limo transfers to and from the airport. Our plane was late (but that is a common occurance in Europe) and we where never collected. Again when we where heading back to the airport the Limo never showed up. There are so many taxis in Rome so our recommendation would be to not bother with their Limo Service.
We would definetly stay again and would recommend to any one wanting to stay somewhere that is stylish but also comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I left the hotel bookings to my husband for our honeymoon and I was delighted at his choice for Rome.

The hotel is located in a great area, lots of good shops and a couple of minutes from the Spanish steps. It is true to say that the entrance is not huge and our taxi driver did drive past so just a note for your taxi driver folks.

The room we had was very spacious, my husband is very tall and usually space can be an issue but not at all with this hotel. Room was equipped with iPod dock, flat screen and Nespresso coffee machine, large bed, walk in closet, deep bath tub, large shower to name but a few.

The staff are very helpful and welcoming and assisted us with our travel arrangements for the Florence leg of of journey.

The hotel is immaculately clean and there are ample toiletries provided.

Slight downside for me was the basic breakfast provided and I found the rooftop terrace very cold, sure it is lovely in summer. I would stay here again when we return to Rome

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Babuino 181 is the perfect hotel, in the perfect location in Rome. The experience was like staying in our own private suite with concierge service 24/7, stocked minibar, rooftop lounge with a lovely breakfast every morning, and quality complimentary wines, beverages, and snacks every night at 6. The hotel itself is a sleek, modern design boutique property with every attention paid to detail. Gorgeous fabrics and high quality bedding and bathroom goods were appreciated. Comfortable beds, great interior space, especially in the bathrooms. The location of Babuino 181 could not be better - very close to Plaza Popolo and several blocks from the Spanish Steps. Absolutely no need to take a cab or train anywhere for dinner, as the neighborhood is filled with restaurants of all sorts, from very high end formal Roman places, to new trendy eateries, to small out of the way neighborhood finds. Most restaurants offered outdoor seating, which is so great for watching Roman life go by. The attention of Benedetto and Yohanys at Babuino 181 in recommending and making restaurant reservations and helping us with navigating throughout the city were invaluable. Above and beyond - including responding to emails from us while in Rome to make arrangements for us to tour the Borghese Museum, as well as arranging for the breakfast buffet to be available to us 30 minutes early so we could grab a bite on our check out day. To say there is incredible value in this hotel makes is sounds as if it is a bargain hotel - which it is, but an amazing bargain that makes its guests feel as if they are guests in an elegant private city home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Babuino 181? Share your experiences!