“Lovely boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 1,265 Hotels in Rome
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Lovely boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

This hotel is a small friendly boutique hotel overlooking the colosseum and well placed for visiting Ancient Rome. This was a last minute extra short break so we went for the cheaper room which did not have a view of the colosseum but looked out over the park opposite and was fine size wise . Certainly better than you would get in London.
On arrival we were greeted and shown to the rooftop bar for a complimentary drink and nibbles. The concierge service was friendly and helpful.
Breakfast in the restaurant overlooks the colosseum and the views are great - what an enjoyable way to start the day. The buffet which was included in the package was limited but used quality ingredients and met our needs before a day of sightseeing. We are off to test out the dinner service tonight ( Aroma restaurant) so will review separately later.
The hotel offered all we needed for an enjoyable trip although would echo the comment about. Not replacing the water each night.
Would recommend a stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Pure perfection! We stayed in a family suite with our 10 year old twins. The suite was recently renovated, it was two beautiful rooms connected by a small hallway with the most amazing view of the Colosseum & Gladiator training area. My daughter was fascinated by the mirror in our room that was a tv. I was amazed by the shower's view of the Colosseum. The service was impeccable. The rooftop restaurant also provided impeccable service & outstanding views. The breakfast was very nice. I would highly recommend this magnificent hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for a night as we got off the plane late in Rome and had to go to Tuscany the next morning.

Aside from it's location and stunning views from Aroma restaurant. I am most impressed with the service - very seasoned with a personal touch.

Decor is tasteful. The prestige room is in my opinion is on the small side and has no view and agree with previous posts that there are some noise at night from the clubs but not overbearing.

Overall, I would recommend it to someone who likes a great view (select rooms) in a historic location with service that will not disappoint.

• Stayed July 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I recently spent a long weekend in Rome and stayed 3 nights at the Palazzo Manfredi. Upon arrival I was quickly whisked upstairs for a welcome drink of chilled Prosecco on the terrace which overlooks the Coliseum. I was upgraded to a room with a view of the Coliseum which was very well furnished - not the biggest room, but certainly not cramped - with a coffee machine and decently sized bathroom. The bottled water however didn't seem to be replaced (2 half litre bottles for 3 days in summer seems a bit tight fisted to me) which was disappointing, although chocolates did appear with the turndown service

The staff at reception, Rafael and Giocomo & those I have unfortunately forgotten the name of, were excellent. Always ready with helpful advice, restaurant suggestions, directions to the nearest gelataria, Italian lessons or just an espresso after a long hot day exploring Rome, they really made the trip special. Just being greeted by name and with a drink upon arriving back at the hotel is such a trivial thing but it really differentiates the very good from the exceptional.

There was a decent free WiFi system (I've mentioned this before in other posts, but charging for WiFi in hotels that aren't cheap is a pet hate). Only one login on the first day was required and decent strength in the public areas but slightly weaker signal in my bedroom although still usable.

Breakfast on the terrace overlooking the Coliseum was decent. I particularly liked the marmalade! It was a little pricey but I tried to get my money's worth and get away without having lunch. Also it is a little south of most of the attractions, but Rome is surprisingly compact so I found walking around very easy (although hot at this time of year). The Coliseum, Forum etc are 5 minutes away and the Vatican is only about 40 mins walk down some cooler back streets.

All in all, I had a very enjoyable trip to Rome and this hotel was a significant factor in that.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family and I recently stayed at this wonderful boutique hotel that qualifies for and upholds the standards of the world wide group of the "Relais & Chateaux" luxury hotel group. After some inital confusion from our car service, (we were dropped off at the "Hotel Manfredi" near the Spanish Steps), our driver returned and brought us to Palazzo Manfredi. We were greeted outside by the dashing and handsome Giacomo, the Front office Manager and the Porter. Giacomo took such wonderful car of us and anticipated everything that we wanted to do. From our relaxing welcoming drink on the rooftop bar/restaurant, to our cozy and well appointed room, to last minute Coliseum entrance tickets (avoiding the lines), and also the Vatican Museum. This is important.... The line for the Vatican museum is at least 1/4- 1/2 mile long, not exaggerating! it stretched from the entrance all the way around the walls of the Vatican city to the St, Peter's square. Entry is 26euros, for an additional 4euros per person, you can be met at the entrance by a ticket agent, who walked us through security, to the ticket window, to the entrance, and wouldn't accept a tip!!! the people in line looked absolutely miserable!! we had a wonderful time just for our two days in Rome at the end of our great vacation! we ended our vacation with the best meal on the roof top of the hotel looking at the Coliseum. While the meal was expensive compared to most meals that folks would consume, this was a special meal and we had prepared for it.... It was 5 star cuisine using nothing but the best ingredients. we used a car service from the hotel to the airport, well worth the 80 euros for 3 people and 6 suitcases. I would stay here again without even looking at other hotels in Rome. Again, Luxury, Service and Location, all "10's".... Thanks again to Giamcomo, the perfect host!

Room Tip: Due to location, it is on a main street near the Coliseum, there are only 14-16 Rooms? so they all f...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Spent three nights at this hotel. Staff was exceptional and the rooms were very nice and provided sufficient space. We didn't get the bed and breakfast package but did eat breakfast one day with a view of the coliseum. Breakfast was nice and the view was amazing. But the cost is 20 euro per person, so we ate breakfast elsewhere the other days.

Definitely a great place to stay if it is your first trip to Rome and only spending 1 to 3 days.

• Stayed July 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel has an amazing location - right next to the Coliseum. So no issues at all on that front. But I feel like we were manipulated in deceptive way by the reservation staff as follows:

We had booked 2 rooms for our family with adjoining rooms. And we confirmed the reservation one week before. But on our Friday night arrival, all the hotel had for us was two separate rooms, With young children, my wife and I had to sleep separately. But they promised us adjoining rooms for the following night.

Now it's Saturday night and we are in a suite, which is right next to a loud, open-air discoteque and I am writing this, kept wide awake by the blaring beat.

I am certain that the management knew this when they moved us in a cynical ploy to take advantage of the fact that were are on a short trip and are unlikely to be back.

It is what it is, and I will survive - even if tomorrow we will all be ragged.

My best advice to travellers is to make sure, if you are staying over the weekend, that you are not on the ground floor room over the discoteque.

Room Tip: Ground floor suite adjoins an open air discoteque. If you are a night owl, no problem. But certainly...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Palazzo Manfredi - Relais & Chateaux? Share your experiences!