“Incredible meal--the best we had in Rome” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Chicago, Illinois
“Incredible meal--the best we had in Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Villa Tor Carboni "Sora Rosa" Ristorante provided us with the most delicious meal that we enjoyed during our vacation in Rome; and that's saying a lot. If you are ever in Rome, we highly recommend that you visit this place. It's off the beaten path in the beauty of the Roman countryside, but not too far from the urban areas of the city. Its location added a memorable sense of serenity and aesthetics to our dining experience.

As for the food, it simply can't be beat. For starters, Sora Rosa has, without question, the best bruschetta that my wife and I have ever had. It was prepared perfectly with a beautiful smoky charring on the bread, perfectly ripened tomatoes sliced to just the right thickness, fresh basil, and, no exaggeration, the very best garlic/olive oil/sea salt combo ever. Heaven on a plate.

We had two pasta dishes. They were both amazing, but what made our jaws drop was their pasta with mushrooms in a cream sauce. We also enjoyed a very unique pressed chicken dish. I can't remember what it's called, but it is cooked under a 10-pound stone and was also delicious. The rest of the meal was equally wonderful.

My wife and I were delighted with the service as well. The owner is a charming, soft-spoken lady who made sure that we were enjoying everything that we ordered. By the end of our meal, we felt like we had been regular diners at her restaurant for years. We will most definitely be back next time we're in Rome.

The simplicity and purity of Sora Rosa's recipes is what makes this place so special. Because of their ingredients, their recipes, their skill in the kitchen, and their service (e.g., bringing food out the instant that it leaves the kitchen), they have absolutely no need to adorn their dishes with fluff. Nothing is overseasoned, oversalted, or overdone. It's all just perfect food. A total winner.

• Visited April 2012

72% Recommend
Rome, Italy
“The place to go if you like like family traditions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This restaurant which is on the outskirts of Rome and run by the same family since 1939 offers excellent food served in a welcoming family atmosphere. There is lots of room indoors and even more outdoors. We were a large group and had many different first courses which followed an excellent antipasto. The gnocchi with artichokes and Grana cheese is delicious but so is their lasagna and the rigatoni all'amatriciana. They offer a wide variety of delicious meat dishes and a good choice of vegetables. The service is impeccable!

• Visited April 2012
Greensboro, Georgia
“It was the highlight of our day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We arrived at the restaurant late in the afternoon following a day of sightseeing. As most Italians do not dine until at least 8 pm in the evening, preparations were just getting underway. We were invited in to enjoy the lovely courtyard and some antipasto and wine in the meantime. Not long afterwards, a delicious dinner was prepared and graciously served. It was a "classic" Italian dining experience...very accomodating hosts, delicious food, great wine, and very pleasant surroundings. We will recall our evening at Sora Rosa often now that we're back home.

• Visited August 2011
Granger, Indiana
“The best meal I had in Rome!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Thank you so much for the most delicious meal!! My family and I loved the food, the friendly staff and the wonderful atmosphere!! Thanks for a wonderful memory!

• Visited July 2011
Holmdel, New Jersey
“The food was delicious and they made you feel like family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

We were on our first trip to Rome Italy and we had a fantastic tour guide (Roberto - Gioia Tour and Trips) who took us to fantastic restaurants that we would have never found on our own. Ristorante Villa Tor Carone "Sora Rosa" restaurant was one of those fantastic places. The food was terrific , the service was friendly and they made you feel like family. We dined outside in their lovely garden area. After dinner, they even took us into their kitchen to show us how they cooked the delicious pressed chicken. The pasta was just mouth watering and the homemade ricota cheese cake was the most spectacular I have ever had. I asked the owner, Laura, if she would be so kind as to give me the recipe. She gave me her card and asked me to email her and said she would send it to me. I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you are ever in Rome. It was just fantastic!

• Visited May 2011