“Not worth it” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #241 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

For most people, a hotel like this is a splurge and should be able to provide a near-flawless experience.

Our experience was not that. We encountered two main issues. First, our room was chronically hot. The staff's suggestion was to turn off the heating system - which did not help at all. While we were out for New Year's Eve dinner, they "fixed" the problem by opening the windows of the room, windows which opened onto the interior courtyard. This let in not just cooler air, but thick cigarette smoke which still had not dissipated by the time we checked out the next day.

This same lax attitude toward customer service also prevailed at the hotel bar, where twenty minutes after a drink order we had to literally chase a server through the bar in order to cancel the undelivered order so we could make it to dinner on time.

Stayed January 2014
Ilaria L, Front Of House Manager at Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back on the Tripadvisor following your recent stay in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey. With regards to the small issues with reception and the bar please be assured that we have passed your feedback to the competent departments to avoid a recurrence of the incident you have experienced. I hope these shortfalls will not tarnish your overall impression of Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto and deter you from staying with us. It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future, giving us another opportunity to make sure you have a wonderful stay with us. I will personally take care of your future reservation by assuring you a special treatment, We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.Meanwhile please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.
Yours Sincerely,
Ilaria Lucani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife was dreaming of going to Rome! So on her birthday, I decided to surprise her with this trip.
Checking the reviews and location of other hotels, I decided to go with Jumeirah .

First of all, our communication by e-mail was amazing!! The hotel was more than willing to go the extra step to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Upon arrival they knew our names and greeted us warmly and wished my wife a happy birthday  which added a personal touch to their reception.

The room was HUGE in comparison to European hotel rooms. Very clean and modern. The bathroom is big, elegant, and well equipped. Two minor notes about the room.
The first, the mattress is hard while the pillow is too soft! Might wanna equal that up!
The other note was the lack of Iron and Iron board in the room. But after inquiring, we understand that it is a mandatory law by the government to avoid fire accidents (So nothing to do their. But just a note to dear future guests )

Location wise, the hotel in a quiet area. Yet 10-minute walk to the Spanish steps and the shops around it (Brand shops and other).
The Concierge was very helpful and more than happy to assist us with all of our questions.

Definitely would stay at Jumeirah again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ilaria L, Front of House Manager at Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey. We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Jumeirah. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and our facility as well as the services offered lived up to your expectations. I will share your comment with the staff and I am certain that they will be glad to read that their efforts are so well appreciated. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Meanwhile please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.
Kind Regards
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

The good things about the hotel are that the doormen & porters are all charming, the concierge helpful, the room (deluxe ) was large, the bed good & the Magnolia restaurant is excellent . The staff in the restaurant were particularly lovely.

However, our room was a disappointment - it was not particularly comfortable or clean - the two chairs & wall covering were stained & needed a steam clean. The bathroom had thick mould in the corner of the shower & the veneer on the walls in that room was lifting in a number of places & was marked/stained. The shower flooded everytime it was used & to prevent it seeping to the floor underneath we had to throw all the towels down to absorb the water.

There was one shower cap, one cake of soap - for the shower, the hand basin & the bidet - one bottle shampoo. An austerity drive ?

The sound proofing was not very good & we heard the conversation of the guests in the next room.

The service in the cafe (even when it was almost empty) was so slow that we walked out - 15mins seated & we weren't asked if we wanted a drink.

Breakfast at 25euro each for 2 pastries each, 2 slices (each) of un toasted bread & a coffee & a juice is excessive but then 5euro each on top for room service just leaves an unpleasant feeling.

Nothing drastically awful happened - it was simply disappointing & not what we expected of the Jumeirah chain.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back on the Tripadvisor following your recent stay in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey. With regards to the small issues with your room and breaksfast please be assured that we have passed your feedback to the competent departments to avoid a recurrence of the incident you have experienced. I hope these shortfalls will not tarnish your overall impression of Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto and deter you from staying with us. It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future, giving us another opportunity to make sure you have a wonderful stay with us. I will personally take care of your future reservation by assuring you a special treatment, We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. Meanwhile please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.
Yours Sincerely,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in September 2013. My business colleague and I each had a suite both of which had different configurations and were impressive by way of size for the city of Rome. His was a corner suite with a large lounge area boasting several coaches and chez longue - the bedroom a little smaller than my suit and a generous sized bathroom with large tub and shower combination, basin, toilet and bidet. He enjoyed a corner location with balconies opening up overlooking the Via Veneto. My suite a different category than my colleagues had a huge bathroom with a large walk-in shower, large tub, twin basins and a large amount of space in the bathroom - this led off onto the bedroom which was also very generously proportioned and a walk-in closet area with lots of room and cupboards to hang up clothing.

I am a long standing Jumeirah client having been visiting their Dubai flagship hotels over the past 15 years. I have checked out the various Jumeirah properties in London, New York (when they had one), Shanghai and now Rome. They have made a great entry into the eternal city. The Grand Hotel has of course been there for many years and was closed for renovation for a long time. Jumeirah in managing it have added their touch which was evident in the excellence in service from the staff level, from the doorman to the great and friendly team around the bar, as well as the front office management.

As far as location goes, if you enjoy walking, which hopefully you would in this great city, you're in a perfect spot! Just a short walk to the Spanish Steps and the famous fountains and the city is available for as long and as far as you can walk! The weather in September, of course, was great and this made for a superb location.

Plenty of restaurants in the area with the famous Harry's Bar just up the road opposite the Marriott and the Hard Rock Café a little down the road, with plenty of other choices in the neighborhood.

As can be expected, in Rome, mini-bar prices are high but there are convenient and close shops nearby where you can stock up with everything to your heart's delight.

Other thoughts about the hotel - it has been elegantly and exquisitely renovated. Clearly a lot of time and money was put into the renovation to bring this beautiful property very close to the world famous Excelsior Hotel up to the standards that it should be.

It has a lovely and inviting rooftop area, which regrettably, was closed during the season and a small hotel hot-tub which is not so well advertised and regrettably, although beautifully located right on the roof was at a low temperature which made it uninviting.

Great gym, a little short on the restaurant choices, with one of their restaurants being closed for the season, but you're in Rome so there's no excuse not being able to find a good place to eat!

We were exceptionally well looked after as I am top flight member in the Jumeirah Sirius Program and appreciated the accommodation upgrades and the fuss and attention this afforded me and my colleague.

Any top quality hotel in Rome is not going to come cheap, so if this hotel is within the price range of your budget, it will make for a great choice.

I remain impressed with Jumeirah's global perspective of not just remaining the top hotel chain in Dubai, where they are founded and owned, but continuing to build and take on management portfolios of some fine properties around the world. Well done Jumeirah for breaking into the high-end market in such great style!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay inwith us. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey. We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Jumeirah. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and our facility as well as the services offered lived up to your expectations. I will share your comment with the staff and I am certain that they will be glad to read that their efforts are so well appreciated. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Meanwhile please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.

Kind regards
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 11/23 -11/27/2013. We selected this hotel based on the review in the Tripadvisor. We stayed in a delux room with breakfast. Our room was very clean, and very big room ( full King size bed (not European king size)), 2 night tables, a very large round dining table with 4 chairs and queen size sofa, side board and another side board with mini bar. But we did not feel the room was crowded. Our room had a semi walkin closet with side board (w/safe). our specious bathroom had a very large and deep bath tab, toilet, with bidet and vanity for 2 persons. We could open 2 windows in our room and the room was faced to the street with trees.

Several large hotels were located near our hotel, like Westin or Marriott. But this small hotel seems to be much better than these big hotels. Their breakfast was great and people work in this hotel were all very nice and kind and most of them could speak fluent English. According to the hotel, this hotel was remodeled from an office building. This hotel is located near the Spanish Steps & Trevi Fountain. Next time we visit Rome, we'll stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ilaria L, Front of House Manager at Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey. Your comment is important to us, as we always aim at delivering an ultimate experience for every guest. We are delighted to read your review post your stay in Jumeirah. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the facilities and that the location was up to your expectations.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for all your future reservations.
Yours sincerely,
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in the last week of August and part of the first week of September in Rome. We got a corner suite as a special. The surprise was the room was on the ground floor and passersby could and did watch our every move: the noise was intolerable. We were ( FINALLY) moved up three floors. Our corner suite did not have a separate bathroom as it had advertised it did with AMEX. This hotel is wildly overpriced. Our bathroom was disgusting and so was the housekeeping. All of the furniture was designed to make anyone uncomfortable. All upholstered pieces and chairs,perhaps beds too were made of hard foam like the boards for learning to swim. Not acceptable. This is worse than any hotel we have stayed at. We used one bar of soap for a week. ONLY GOOD POINT:their guides were very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ilaria L, Front Of House Manager at Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review; your feedback is very important to us.

I was very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the initial room allocation and that the furniture of your suite was not to your liking. It is our aim to exceed guest expectation at all times and make you feel at home away from home. We clearly did not manage to do so on this occasion, which is of great concern to us.

I can ensure you that I will personally review the points raised and review our Housekeeping procedures with our Executive Housekeeper. Our guides were very happy to see that you found their service to very good, which I am delighted that you enjoyed that service.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to further discuss your experience and enable us to rebuild your trust.

Sincerely yours
Front Of House Manager
channel islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed at the Jumeirah for three nights over the weekend of the 22nd November 2013.
I had arranged a private car to collect my wife and I from the airport through the hotel, due to poor weather the car was c.40 mins late which kind of defeated the point of having a driver at the airport to meet you. However, the sting was taken away by a very excellent concierge member called Olga who arranged for the return journey to be free of charge. I had not expressed my dissatisfaction with the original delay but she intuitively knew, it's these little things that make the difference.

The hotel is perfectly located, and has a number of wonderful restuarants/cafes and shops nearby. The staff are very well trained and Fabio on reception stands out, he was well mannered, swift and capable.

We moved rooms after the first day (at no fault of the hotel) and were placed in a lovely room with a lounge and two bathrooms. You could not fault the furnishings which is in keeping with the other Jumeirah hotels I have stayed in.

The breakfast at the hotel was typical for Europe and perhaps a little over priced. The staff in the restuarant we very good but unless it is part of the room package you would be better to eat out.

The Hard Rock cafe which is a small 3min walk away is excellent and I would highly recommend.

All the sights are within walking distance and they are a lot closer than most maps would make you think so fear not to wander through the many streets of Rome as this is part of the enjoyment.

The ultimate question is would I stay here again and the answer is YES.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel via Veneto. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey. We do apologize for the inconvenience about the car pick up and we are glad to hear that our staff has helped in recover from the accident. We feel that it is important that our guests are at ease while they stay in our hotel and they feel at home. We also would like to thank you for your kind words on the location and the facility itself. I will share these comments with the staff and I am sure that they will be pleased to know that their efforts are appreciated. It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future in our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me personally for your next reservation!
Kindest regards,
Ilaria Lucani

Been to Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto? Share your experiences!