“Great location, great service, great hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto

You added Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto to your Saves list
Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Vittorio Veneto, 155, 00187 Rome, Italy (Ludovisi / Via Veneto)   |
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #253 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
“Great location, great service, great hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I picked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed. This was a surprise weekend getaway for a friend of mine who had never been to Rome. All the staff were very friendly and I loved sitting at the bar each day for an espresso or a drink. The presentation for everything at the bar was phenomenal. I wish I knew where to find the giant green olives that the bar utilizes. I booked my friend for a spa treatment and she said it was the nicest spa she had ever been in. Although we had reservations for dinner our last night in Rome, we decided to have a quick drink on the rooftop terrace. It was so nice and private that we decided to just order food on the rooftop. Next thing you know and 7 hours had flown by. Will definitely stay here for all my future trips to Rome.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jackson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

The Grand Hotel Via Veneto provided us with the most fabulous thirthieth wedding anniversary pre celebration. We arrived in Rome on Sunday, July 3 and stayed at this wonderful establishment until Friday, July 8. It truly is the most magnificent hotel in Rome. FIVE STAR all the way! From Silvio at the front door, Gina who assisted us with transportation, the wonderful ladies in the SPA, and the courteous, collegial and knowledgeable staff at the front desk - we have to say again and again - Paolo Tulini Front Desk Supervisor, Roberta Valorani Booking Agent, and Ilaria Lucani CEO Personal Assistant, their service is second to none. This is truly a first class establishment. Having vacationed in Rome and stayed at such five star hotels as the Westin, Intercontinental, and the Marriot...they cannot compare to the GH Via Veneto. Its modern (they just opened in 2009), sleek, art deco style coupled with its outstanding customer service made our stay in Rome unforgettable. The rooms are spacious and immaculate. We had a room with an outdoor terrace that looked up the side street to the Via Veneto. One day my cousin from Grosseto (a nearby town) stopped in to visit us but we were out for the day. The staff welcomed hm and made sure we received the handwritten note that he left for us. Breakfast, which was included in our stay, was delicious. The staff - top notch! We enjoyed cappuccino and espresso each morning along with a variety of hot entrees (my husband loved the Eggs Benedict) all served in their beautiful Magnolia Dining Room. We were able to unwind each day in their beautiful SPA and relaxation room. The staff there always pampered us with hot teas, cool drinks and fresh fruit. The sauna and the steam room coupled with the salt water pool spa were a vigorous way to end a day of sightseeing and shopping! There were great restaurants within walking distance - be sure to try the fried stuffed olives and the hand cut prosciutto di parma. Walking to the Spanish Steps provided breathtaking views and fabulous shopping. The bar in the restaurant provided outstanding wine selections. We also enjoyed drinks in the evening right outside - sharing an apertif with visiting family one night...and just the two of us on other evenings....truly experiencing the Via Veneto and la dolce vita. Kudos to this fine establishment. We made sure when we walked to the Trevi Fountain (three different times during our stay) we threw our coins in so we can guarantee our return to Rome and to the GH Via Veneto. We are already planning our next trip! Thank you to the entire staff......you made our stay a most memorable one. Most sincerely, Theresa and George Licitra.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on my way back from Ravello, I found it great hotel and location, I walked in one night to Spanish steps, trevi fountain and piazza Della republica. On the time of arrival they showed me the room and how the facet works! Apparently it was a big deal for everybody and some complains! But I found it easy to navigate.
I have asked them to wake me up at 6am and provide me with breakfast in the room and they did on time except the apologized to provide scrambled eggs instead the provided boiled eggs and of course I had to pay the 25 Euros as not included in the stay but I was happy with that.
The most please surprise is to find the hotel next to famous Raphael the shoe store which is still there since the 70’s I heard about it from my auntie when she use to visit Roma back then!!
The hotel is modern rather than the typical Italian design, I like it more than my stay at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese much much better and I can tell you I will be re book at this hotel next year for sure

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Excellent location on Via Veneto, close to the Westin, Marriott and St. Regis. Yet, unlike those hotels, you will not find mobs of tourists. This seems to be a hidden jewel. Very attentive service, excellent rooms and one of the best breakfasts I've had in any hotel. They currently are running a Roman Summer promotion where the 3rd night is free, breakfast, spa and welcome drink included. It works out quite well relative to the other nice hotels in town. I will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

The hotel has been completely refurbished and re-opend not long ago. The design and atmosphere are outstanding and you can feel the touch of the Bulgari ownership. the location is great with easy access to many intersting areas of downtown Rome for both pleasure and business. i was staying in a standard room and compared with many Rome hotels did not feel the size limitation which you often find. The rate which is not "cheap" is however interesting for the locaton and type of hotel, expecially if compared with the neightboring hotels, however i believe this is a kind of promotional rate so do not know until when it will last.
The service is quite varying and you can meet different attitueds and capabilities, the impression is that some people are barely above apprentice level or under training o expect a great variation from this point of view. i did not unse any of the restarants/bar so cannot commet on this. definitely worth a try but if rates rise you want more from the service level point of view. jus a supid expample, when you arrive at the entrance door, depending on who is on duty you can expect a most warm and serviceous welcom or you might even have to open the door yourself ...
A big issue I had was "connectivity": there was no mobile phone coverage in my room and I could not acces the wireless network which in my case, being on a business trip, was a geat inconvenience: if you need phone or internet connectivity I suggest you make it clear and make sure you get a suitable room.

Room Tip: Please see last sentence above
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Shelby Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Our family recently returned from over 2 weeks in Italy. In Rome we elected to stay at the rather posh Grand Hotel Via Veneto. After a bit of confusion upon arrival when our initial non-smoking rooms in this supposed all non-smoking hotel smelled like cigarettes AND had ash trays in the room, we went to lunch while 2 rooms on a REAL non-smoking floor were made available. These rooms were fine, and perhaps because of this initial snafu, one of our rooms was upgraded to Deluxe with an outer view... albeit of a wall. LOL That was nice.

Most odd was that this upgraded Deluxe room was the room with 2 beds for our kids, so my wife and I took the smaller Superior room in the inner (and quite nice, actually) courtyard view. While this room was very fine, the bathroom was downright STRANGE. While our kids room had a HUGE 4 ft x 8 ft luxury shower and a separate luxury tub, our room had merely a 3 ft x 3ft stand-up shower with a rather tacky plastic curtain that seemed a bid out of place in a posh 5-star hotel with the bidet nearby. While this superior room was FAR from 5 star, the worst part was that use of this stall basically REQUIRED that the entire bathroom floor would get wet... slash that, DRENCHED. (So much for Italian design!! Frank Lloyd Wright could have taught the architect a bit about form AND function being one... but I digress.) Still worse, was the fact that the hand-held shower was IMPOSSIBLE for anyone shorter than a 6-feet tall to use... as my wife was unable to reach the top mount to hang it, yet she was too short for the lower mount not to cause the water to smash her in the face. Even worse, the first time I used the shower on the top mount, I LITERALLY ended-up with a bloody scalp after the sharp nozzle smashed me in the head when I turned the water off and it 'jumped' out of the cradle when the pressure stopped. (At that point, I was GLAD that the kids had the luxury room!!!) These shower and bathroom design flaws HAVE been mentioned before here, and upon checkout I SPECIFICALLY told the staff member who checked us out that every employee of the hotel should take a shower in one of these standard rooms to fully understand this TRAGIC flaw and the reason other has also been angered! (He seemed to ignore me, rather snobbishly. LOL)

OK, another common complaint here seems to be the Concierge, or rather the lack of a true one. While I can see that the ATTEMPT is to have all of the employees who check-in new guests to be considered as the "Concierge", one only needs to stay at a fine hotel with a true world-class Concierge (The Hay Adams in DC, the Savoy in London, and any number of hotels in Hong Kong and Shanghai come immediately to mind) to see the mistake in the plan here. While one gentleman went out of his way to help us locate an Irish Pub to watch the World Cup game, the vast majority our my Concierge-type questions led to mild frustration and missed opportunities.

Frankly, we found Mario at the front door to be the most knowledgeable on what Rome has to offer... and he IS terrific! The ladies in the Spa and workout area are also wonderful!! (Though, to call what they have a pool is dishonest!!) And the beds are VERY cozy!! We liked this hotel and considered the rather high price still to be a reasonable value in this area of town. When we one day return to Rome without kids we will gladly stay here again, albeit only in the Deluxe room... unless we bring a hard-hat to shower in. ;)

With all of that in mind, we still did LOVE the location of this hotel on Via Veneto! We also think the hotel is beautifully elegant. We also LOVED the breakfast at the hotel, though we suggest that everyone either pre-pay to get it for half price OR eat this meal at the small neighborhood bakery around the corner from the hotel. (Turn right when departing the front door, turn right at the first street, and walk maybe 40 yards and it is on your right tucked in right beside the hotel.)

I am rating the GHVV a 4... although one of our rooms rated a 5 and the other rated a 3, maybe... perhaps a 3.5 If I had known about the need for that hard-hat. ;) I know next time... as do you know!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Saint-Petersburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Me and my husband stayed there for three days during our honeymoon.
The hotel itself is very nice and beautiful, the staff is very polite and helpful indeed. But I have to say that even though when we booked a room we left a comment that we're spending our honeymoon in this hotel on arrival none of the staff congratulated us with marrige. We were not actually hunting for some benifits but some congratulation or some special welcome in the room would have been nice and it was some attitude one expects to get in a 5 star Lux hotel.
And they also wrote a wrong name on all the cards and bills and on TV welcome. They didn't just spell it wrong but it was totally someone else's name, not mine with the correct surname written next to it. This was sort of an unpleasant discovery and I don't understand how could the well trained stuff write a very hard to spell russian surname correctly and put someone else's name that didn't even look like mine next to it.
The location is perect I have to say because you're practicly in the heart of Rome and everything you need to see is in walking distance from the hotel. At the same time it's not noicy in there at all, the windows of our room faced the inner yard which was quiete and beautiful and you could easely leave your windows opened for the night to get some fresh air.
The hotel has a beautiful terrace on the top floor but we didn't have time to use it as we didn't stay long.
The breakfast room was very nice as well but as for breakfast itself we definitely missed some hot dishes like eggs for example and the buffet didn't have much variety of foods and they served same things every day. It didn't bother us that much as we were only staying for 3 days but if we were to stay longer it surely could have been an issue.
Another thing we had a problem with was our bathroom. The bathtub had a glass door which was supposed to protect the floor from splashes but it was practicly useless because it was leacking. So taking a shower always caused a huge puddle of water on the floor which was the least to say unsafe and unpleasant.
We were not very happy about the cleaning in our bathroom too. The wall, opposite to the mirror was stained with something greasy or oily right from the day we arrived and the maid didn't bother to clean this in the 3 days we stayed. And I don't beleive she didn't notice that stain, I mean honestly it was impossible to miss something like this.
Last but not least you have to be aware of their sistem of paiment. They freeze money on your account the day you arrive no matter which way of payment you choose in the end cash or another card it doesn't matter. They freeze the total cost of nights you'll be staying and as I was told, if you choose to pay in cash or with another card the money from the card they preauthorized will be returned that same day. But in reality I had to wait for 1,5 months for my money to be returned.

Overall I'd say it's a good hotel in a good location it has it's flaws and overpriced rooms are one of it. But if you're looking for a good hotel in the centre of Rome and if you manage to get the rooms with a discount, like we did, it's a good place to consider.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on top floors and try to find offers with a discount.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
GlobRes_27703, Manager at Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear Lailonniel,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is really important to us and allows us to improve our service.
Despite your inconveniences, we are very glad to read that you enjoyed your overall stay at Grand hotel via Veneto and found the staff very polite and helpful.
In truth, there are no excuses regarding the issues you are describing. It was indeed an oversight on our part regarding the name and honeymoon information, and for that, we sincerely apologize. I can assure you that we usually not only congratulate clients on their honeymoon, but we also extend special treatment to them. Again, we are sorry you did not get to experience this.
Regarding the breakfast, please be aware that there is a menu with hot dishes that we prepare upon request and instantly (this is also written in the printed menu). About the payment method, the time it takes to unfreeze the money depends on your credit card company and usually it is returned the same date if you pay with the same credit card given as per the guarantee (this is an automatic procedure).
We are really thankful to the clients that take the time to give us their feedback in a constructive way as it helps us build a strong relation with our clients and better understand their needs moving forward.
For this reason, we kindly ask you to contact us directly to organize together your next stay in Rome and make it a special one (maybe for your first anniversary!).
We wish you a wonderful day,

Claudia Montresor - Marketing Manager

Been to Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto? Share your experiences!