“So pretty! Close enough to everything, but only for active people.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Relais 6

Package Deal
Ranked #19 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wisconsin, USA
“So pretty! Close enough to everything, but only for active people.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

We rented one apartment (two rooms with kitchenette) and one double for our family of six over the Christmas holiday, and could not have been more pleased. The hotel is newly opened, clean, pretty, with good service and a good breakfast. (The coffee could have been better, but everything else was just great.) The rooms are spacious for Rome, an excellent value, and have truly terrific showers. Safes in the room worked well, light blocking shades for naps, mostly quiet at night.

The front desk staff was good. Even when we overheard other tourists being truly obnoxious, we only heard gracious replies from the staff. They helped us solve a few problems, made phone calls for us, printed maps, etc. Most of them were friendly, all were at least polite. No one seems to answer emails, however.

Free internet access, and a computer on the first floor for those who don't bring one.

IT IS about a 4 kilometer walk from the center of Rome, or 8 minutes by convenient bus. We generally took the bus into the city center and walked home at night (to walk off some of that terrific Italian food, about 20- 30 minutes, depending on where we began). The walk was nice, and not a problem for us at all, but the location might be a little far out for some people. The buses were quick, frequent, & never too crowded. We had Roma Pass.

Our only real disappointment was the lack of cooking classes. They advertised that they offered classes and tastings, but we were told that this was still in the planning stages. This was a disappointment, as it was part of the reason that we chose the hotel, but by the end of our stay, we were glad to have been there.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

1,123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
burbank, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

I have to explain my rating because in some ways this was a good hotel but the overall impression and experience for me personally was poor (so thus my rating). I will give a bit of history to explain my rating:

I arrived from a long flight from overseas to visit Rome for pleasure and to see the historical sights. I was going to rent an apt in the Ghetto district with some friends but then decided to stay at this hotel because of the excellent reviews and felt it was better to stay on my own. I didn't realize how far this hotel was from the center of the city and that is my biggest regret in staying here because it was completely inconvenient to the sights and I had to take countless buses and subways to get around and constantly got lost and got packed into sardine cans with people in the buses. Because of this, I couldn't find my friend's most days and since we had no cell phones working it was next to impossible to meet up with them and I only spent 2 days out of the week in rome with them.

The hotel staff on the whole is very friendly and helpful and I commend most of their assistance! However, there was a gentlemen that checked me in the 1st day who was very arrogant and rude. He suggested that i take a shower before I ask any further questions about transportation and obviously I smelled bad to him. It could have been so since I had been traveling all day but he shouldn't have asked me to do that and been so rude. The other desk attendants were completely sweet and helpful but he was not and came across consistently snobby and "above" me anytime he was working the desk.

As for the room, it was decorated nicely but small and the bathroom was probably the best part since it had a shower and a bathtub and was big (for Europe). The room was fairly clean but my night-stands were consistently dusty so i think that the maid service doesn't dust at all. There was a mini-bar but it only contained a couple of bottled waters and soda (no alcohol).

The location of this hotel is the worst part because it's not close to the center of Rome and you have to take the buses to the Termini and then take the subway which can be a real bother! Especially when the buses take forever to come and you have to be squished next to tons of peeps and so it's not good for the claustrophobic (like me)! Steer clear from this hotel just on the basis of location unless you are in Rome for business and have your own car or transportation.

On a positive note: The daily breakfast buffet is very nice and the cooks (chefs) very friendly and helpful. There was one young guy in particular that was completely sweet and always wanted to help. Another lady that was his sub that I had during the weekend was very snobby though since I didn't speak Italian.

There is also Internet access downstairs on one computer which is free of charge and is nice for people that didn't bring their laptop or hardware with them. There are also blinds in the room that you can scroll up and down which is nice if you want to make the room completely dark or have natural light.

Word of caution: There is consistent construction noise in the building next door during the day so if you want a mid-day nap - you might have trouble falling and staying asleep.

Also this hotel caters from what I saw to mainly local italians that are here for business and there was a lady that worked for the hotel that as I walked by laughed and said "turista" (hee hee) to a group of Italians that she was assisting and I was extremely offended by her remark and the fact that she was making fun of me being one of the few tourists of the hotel. She did it right in front of my face too and I just mimicked her laugh and made fun of her back (to her face) ridiculous! (considering the "TURISTAS" are her bread and butter).

So overall I have to not recommend this hotel even though I did really appreciate some of the nice desk and kitchen staff here. I especially enjoyed this older desk attendant who was completely charming and had a very funny sense of humor which i greatly appreciated being pretty much by myself in a foreign country and not knowing the language.

So the bottom line:

If you are a "turista" wanting to get in to Rome to enjoy the nightlife and see as much as you can then please find a hotel closer and more user-friendly with foreign tourists!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

We stayed at Relais 6 for 5 nights and we had the most amazing experience. The hotel has been competely refurbished and only opened a few months ago. It is small boutique hotel, with a lot of character, and colonial style charm.

The room was very spacious, very clean, super confortable bed and good modern bathroom, plus a little balcony, large ceiling to floor window.

The hotel does not have a restaurant, but there were some great local places nearby. Breakfast was good, served in a nice room with views to the back garden.

The lounge of the hotel, was beautiful. Tastefully decorated.

The hotel is located 10 -15 min bus ride from the city centre. Buses are frequent and stop near the hotel. Night buses also serve this area, and we found it very easy to use the network - also nice to go back to a quiet area after spending the day in busy Rome.

The service was outstanding. All the staff were very helpful and friendly, but not intrusive. The guy serving the breakfast during the weekdays was very attentive, made great coffee, and ran the place so smothly you would not even notice he was there but everythig was set up to perfection.

We had an amazing time, and will definetely come back to Relais 6 when we decide to visit Rome again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
las vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

This recently refurbished building is beautifully and expensively done in many colors of marble, different woods, and different metals. It is a visual delight.
The hotel is located in a high rent residental neighborhood that also contains several embassies. If you go to the restaurants within easy walking distance you may be the only tourist there. For us this turned out to be a great plus as unfortunately, some of the restaurants in the tourist areas view cheating tourists as a sport. Our favorite local restaurant is San Marino Pizza which also serves a variety of dishes.(Great thin crust pizza; pasta and bean soup that will ruin your enjoyment of the same served at most American restaurants, and half a liter of wine for 3 euros.) The neighborhood restaurants are in the business of seeking repeat business from customers and treat all their customers very well.
If you only have a couple of days in Rome and want to try and see all the historical sights and want or need to go to your hotel in between sights, this is not the hotel for you. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the Bologna subway station on the Blue Line. Most of the historical sights are either on the Blue Line or require transfer to the Red Line at Termini where the two lines cross. There is a bus 3 blocks away that will take you to either the Bologna station or Termini. For the Bologna station take either the 310 or 93 if you don't want to walk. The subway trains run every couple of minutes. The only drawback is that sometimes you pack in pretty tight, ditto for the busses.
Rome is appallingly covered with graffitti; the graffitti in the neighboorhood of the hotel does not indicate a lack of safety,but on first arrrival it is disconcerting. Ditto for the security shutters on the hotel's windows. You see them all over Rome and they make for a great black out if you arrive tired and want to sleep in late.
We stayed seven nights and sought advice about the city from several desk clerks. All but one were unfailing polite. One, when asked what bus to take to the subway replied, "I am not God; I do not know everything." However, on other occasions this clerk was gracious. Overall, I would rate the service excellent.
If you arrive at FCO you can take a cab to the hotel. The average price is supposed to be 50 euros, but we paid 58. Or you can take an express train (11 or 12 euros per person) to Termini and then either take a cab (about 10 euros) or just take the subway to Bologna station and then walk. (It helps is you arm yourself with a Google map beforehand). Returning to the airport, you have the hotel arrange a private car (50 Euros) or use public transportation. We chose the private car and were very pleased. If you don't want to do public transportation to get to the hotel I would recommend calling them and asking them to have a car for you.
Overall, we were very pleased with this hotel, found the staff friendly and helpful, and after the first couple of days were delighted to be outside the tourist area in an upscale neighborhood. If you don't mind being crowded on the subway, the subway is fast and safe.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

Relais had the elegant curved lines and décor of a Agatha Christie Poirot novel set in the 1930’s (and no small wonder given it’s history as a base for Allied Intelligence during WWII), with the imperious service attitude of that era to boot.

It may have been racism, a complete lack of service standards, or an offensive sense of humour, but regardless, the attitude of the front desk at this hotel was decidedly off. I have never received such rude and arrogant service at any place I’ve stayed, including the dodgiest backpacker hostels in Kathmandu. And Relais is supposed to be 4 stars.

Not telling us what number to press in order to contact reception, to the patently inappropriate, such as reprimanding guests for arriving at breakfast 20mins before it began (despite not giving any indication anywhere of what time breakfast service began), as well as making jokes at the expense of guests (and to the face of guests), were the order of the day at this hotel.

It seems that Relais is aiming primarily for Italian business travellers. Its overt contempt for all other guests makes it clear that this is how they want it to stay. Regardless I’d recommend it again, provided you give as good as you get to the appallingly rude service staff – they really need to get off their high horse. It is conveniently located (about 10mins from Termini via bus), and has a rather fine restaurant around the corner who’s name escapes me (steer away from their suggestion of the pizzeria Belle Epoque).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
milan, italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Where also can you find in Rome, where the vast majority of the hotels seem to be hugely overpriced, a brand new hotel, situated in a quiet area, with comfortable and well appointed rooms, for just 80 euros/night? By the way, wifi is free and so are national phone calls. An excellent find, fully recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

Really nice hotel in a good neighbourhood. Easily connected to the city centre on one direct and quick bus. The room was really nice and had a really good size balcony which was unexpected. It was very clean, tastefully decorated and comfortable. The staff were so friendly and helpful and always made us smile. They were able to recommend nearby restaurants, although we chose to eat in the centre most nights and since the buses run so late there was never a problem getting back to the hotel. Overall this is a brilliant hotel and I would recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Relais 6? Share your experiences!