“Great Value and Service!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Merulana Star
1.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Via Merulana 240, 00185 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #1,617 of 2,893 Rome B&B and Inns
Athens, Georgia
“Great Value and Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Alessandro, the owner of this hotel, is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He went above and beyond to help my mother and I with our trip. We missed the last train to Milan on our last night in Rome. We had no where to stay, and it seemed like everywhere was booked. Alessandro spent over an hour on the phone until well after midnight just to find us a room for the night. We were so grateful, but sad that we could not stay another night at Merulana Star! The hotel is clean, comfortable, and close to many major attractions. When I return to Rome, I will definetly be staying here!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The hotel I want to review is Merulana Star. It is a cheap, one star hotel, located at first floor of a building in Via Merulana, close both Colosseo area and main railways station, Roma Termini (less than 10 minutes on foot).

It is a family-run hotel; the staff is very friendly and reception is 24h open. There are a few rooms, from single to multiple beds. Every room has a private bathroom (wc, shower and basin; towels are included), a tv, and a safe. Furthermore, the location is amazing: you can get Colosseo, Fori imperiali and San Pietro in Vincoli with a short walk. Moreover, the surrounding area is quiet and safe, so the hotel is recommended also for girls and backpacker. Last but not least, prices are really reasonable: €36 for a single room; €45 for a three-beds room (plus €2 for each person as tourist tax).

Neverthless, many things aren't so good: the furniture is quite old and the rooms are slightly narrow. Breakfast isn't included in price (it cost €5). However, for this price you could be satisfied.

To sum up, there are more benefits then drawback, so I would recommend it to young people on budget and families.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I have stayed in Merulana for two nights in January 2014 and I am really happy I chose this hotel. It was a really good value for money in my eyes. The location is perfect. Couldn't ask for a better one, it is 10 min walk from Termini Train/Bus station and 10 min walk to Coloseum. I admit that one problem we did experience was that the bed was a twin and it was hard to make it into a double one as it was sliding apart and the bathroom could have been nicer maybe but I anyway loved the room and would gladly come back. Biggest thumbs up for the man sitting in reception :) he was so nice, positive and attentive to any question we had. I can warmly recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you are a couple remember to ask fro a double bed, not a twin one.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We arrived to find out that our reservation did not exist, although we had a confirmation from Hotels.com about it. To make things a bit difficult, the man at the front desk did not speak English, so after some very confusing non-conversations we received our room. However, it was about twice the cost than what we had initially agreed on... The room was "fine". The included breakfast was a joke: we got a small ticket to walk across the street and have 1 beverage and 1 pastry. I have stayed in Rome previously and at least the included breakfast had some yoghurt, coffee, fruit etc. The good thing about this hotel is that it is quite close to the Colosseum. But you are better to find a cheaper hotel, as this one was quite over priced for what you are getting.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I am an 18 year old australian girl, I wouldn't say that I am back packing but I am traveling. I stayed at the Merulana Star for 4 nights.
I arrived in Italy at CIA airport and from there I caught a shuttle bus into Termini station. It was late at night and getting dark, but I managed to find Via Merulana (the street on which the hotel is located). Finding the hotel was at first, confusing because I was looking for an entrance to any normal hotel, but instead I found, on a gold name plate beside massive old doors, the hotels name and address.
It stated that if you are staying at the hotel to press the buzzer that was on name plate. After that I went inside the door, which is quite an effort to open while carrying such a big suitcase. After the first door, there is a second door but that one is a lit easier to pass. That will lead you into the stair way. Don't be alarmed... there is a lift, however the lift is tiny and I was only just able to fit my suitcase in. The lift is obviously old and anyone who has a fear of lifts and is carrying a lot of luggage, I suggest you find a different hotel.
Anyway once I passed all that the hotel is the first floor of the building and the man at reception was very nice and saw I was tired so he did quick paper work so I could sit down in the room for a bit and finish the rest once I settle in a bit, which I really liked. Once I settled in a sat down for a bit I came back out and finished all paper work. He then, using his best english, gave me two maps and on one he circled where the hotel is and where all the big tourist sites are. He also suggested the best route to walk and which buses and metro lines where the best to take back to the hotel. I thought this was extremely nice how he tried to say it all in english.
But now moving on to the room, well when I booked the hotel I seemed to have missed the part that said this was a One Star Hotel. So needless to say I was VERY shocked to walk in and see all the marks on the walls. It was very off putting, but because I am a 'messy teenager' I guess I very easily saw past that and it wasn't too bad for the price and location. If you were very picky then the following would probably bother you:
1) Mold in corner of the shower
2) Dirty marks on the walls
3) The cupboard is very unstable
4) Aircon and Wifi were each €5 per day

That is really the only few things that bothered me at first but I saw past them. The MAJOR 'EEK' was the room key/ security...... the room key was VERY generic and I would say if all the keys were the same then my key probably could have opened every room. As the key was handed to me for the first time I was a little concerned but to make me feel safer I lodged my massive suitcase infront of the door so it couldn't be opened from the outside.
The street we stayed on was a fairly busy street and was easily fixed by closing the windows.
The room was cleaned daily and the cleaner even lined my shoes up nicely at the end of my bed each day!

Over all, this hotel for the price, was really good. I would reccomend for added peace of mind to have a lock for your suit case while you go out of the room.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We travelled in July 2011 and stayed here for 3 nights. The room was very small, cramped and uncomfortable and the bathroom even smaller even by usual Europe standards. For the amount that we paid, we could have found a much better accommodation in Rome. The location was good and at a walkable distance from the colosseum and metro station. However overall a very disappointing stay...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rolesville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The room was just a bed and a bathroom which was right by the busy street. No AC, but considering the price it worked just fine for us as a young couple as we only used the room to sleep. Location was a 10 minute walk from the central train station where trains throughout Italy leave and buses to the airport leave

Room Tip: Don't expect amenities, just a room with bed and bathroom
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Merulana Star? Share your experiences!