“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,101 of 2,888 Rome B&B and Inns
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in May. Location is fantastic, 5 minute walk through the park to the Colosseum and within walking distance to Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and other sights. Lots of lovely places to eat nearby. Rooms are large and clean with tea and coffee making facilities and free wifi. The owner Marta was friendly and helpful and even arranged transfers for us to and from the airport. All in all a great place to stay and I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I have to start this by saying that I hate writing negative reviews. And the fact is, this isn't really a negative review, but more of a underwhelming experience. I'll start with the positive: The Mecenate Rooms are in a relatively easy to find location, walkable from the termini, great location when it comes to the Coliseum, are relatively clean, and the staff is great. Perhaps it was the fact that I had read so many fantastic reviews here on Trip Advisor, but when we got there I was disappointed with what I found. The MR rooms are very basic. To say that this is a bed-and-breakfast is a bit of an overstatement. As another reviewer stated, this place is more of a boarding house with a help yourself kitchen. While the rooms are clean, the kitchen was often dirty and it's only really consisted of a mini fridge with some juice, a single serving coffee maker, and a small selection of dry processed baked goods. The only other thing that concerned me was a half inch gap between the wall and our bathtub that the shower water constantly streamed into. As a general contractor, I shudder to think where that water is going and what must be growing beneath that bathtub.

I really don't mean to say that this is a bad location. It's fine for what it is and i would compare it more to a hostel. But I have no earthly idea how the previous reviewers could consider this a "five star" property. It works well for what it is, but it's definitely nothing special.

• Stayed June 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was in rome in May 2013 with my best friend and we could absolutely recommend Mecenate Rooms for a weekend trip to Rome. The owners was so friendly and the standard of the rooms was more then we expected. The area has a lot of good restaurants with lovely food and you get the real feeling of Rome, and we felt so secure even when we took a stroll threw town in the middle of the night.
It's really close to the Colosseum and takes about 45 min to walk to the Vatikan City.
The owner helped us with everything, transfer from and to the airport, restaurant tips, maps etc.

I will absolutely stay at Mecenate on my next trip to Rome.

Five stars for a B&B!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was in Rome with my mum in April 2013. I've found this place on the internet. The location is fantastic, the Colosseum is just in few minutes walking distance. You can find nice restaurants, shops in the area. The rooms are tidy, the personal is nice and they are always there to help. I can recommend this place. Krisztina

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Getting a hotel in Rome can be really hard at certain times of the year, and always expensive. Having to spend a night in Rome, a friend suggested this place. Run by two extremely charming young girls who bought this ground floor apartment as an investment, and have done it up into 4 ensuite rooms, it is my best find in a long time. The rooms are spacious, with immensely high and gorgeously vaulted ceilings, decorated with quirky personal taste - not the usual IKEA matching lamps, but personally chosen 1950's vintage furniture. Spotlessly clean, and with wifi, coffee and tea making facilities they are a steal in and of themselves. Team that with the location, a 2-3 minute walk from the Colosseum, which you can even see from some of the windows, and this place is unbeatable. It will be my first choice every time I come to Rome in future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay - terrific central location - very close to Colosseum; restaurants and transport systems to all major attractions. We didn't need any taxis everything accessible by public transport. We felt very safe both in the B&B and the location.
Rooms clean, Marta and Camille were great really helpful - I didn't realise there was no reception as such and Marta bless her waited an hour for my daughter to arrive. Would definitely stay there again .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Mecenate was my fourth B&B on my trip through Italy and I absolutely loved it. The ladies are wonderful and were so flexible with arrival time and responsive to all my emails. The room was spacious and clean and the B&B felt personal. You really do get the feeling of living in Italy. It's in a primal location away from all the noise. In front of you is a small park which you walk through to get to the Coliseum. You are instantly in walking distance to numerous restaurants and the Roman Forum. A year later I returned with my husband (boyfriend) at the time and he simply loved it. As another reviewer mentioned, you are on the first floor so there is no need to haul your luggage up stairs which not knowing on my first trip to Italy, became a big deal. I had stayed in numerous B&B and must say this one always stands out as being one of my favorites.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Giovenale Room. From the window you can see the upper half of the Coliseum. Beautifu...