“Didn't quite reach a five” 4 of 5 stars

Art in Accommodation
Via Ferruccio 46, 00184 Rome, Italy (Esquilino / Termini)   |
Ranked #363 of 628 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Helsinki
“Didn't quite reach a five”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Art in accommodation has had some negative reviews and in part I do understand some of the critisisms. However, I'd like to give you a budget traveller's opinion.

There is no reception as such, only a room down the corridor and it isn't manned 24/7, that is why they ask guests to call or e-mail them of their approximate time of arrival so that there will be someone to check the guests in. During our stay we heard guests buzzing the doorbell and phoning the (empty) office, on hours on end. One unfortunate guest had arrived at the front door at 7am only to be let in at 9am by the lady doing the cleaning! So PLEASE contact them before you arrive!

The room was spacious, had two single beds chained together, a large wardrobe, table, chair, mirror, two nightstands, a ceiling fan as well as a table fan, which were both very much in need during our 8 nights of 30degrees C. We had two windows as well, so could have both of them open through the nights.
Fortunately the area was mainly residential so we were only disturbed on a couple of nights when the bin truck decided to stop by at 2:15am :O

Actually the worst noises came from the corridor and the doors of the other rooms and especially the shower/toilets. The corridor is of stone and the locks of the doors very noisy, quite jammed at times until you get the knack of using them (and during our 8 night stay I think we mastered this on night 5, but dear fellow guests, sorry for the noise all the same :D)

There are 2 shower/toilet rooms for the 5 rooms within the corridor, so really no need to queue for long. Both showers were powerful, there was liquid soap and toilet tissue provided. And yes, the "infamous cracked toilet seat" is still there, but we managed to use the loo without much physical or emotional damages done to us :D It really is just a cosmetic hic-up.

The breafast ticket system is still a bit of a mystery. I guess there are only a specified number of tickets availabe, so on two mornings we had to skip breakfast, once becuse we had to catch an early train and really couldn't even wait for the five minutes that it would have taken for them to get the tickets from the cafe.
The breakfast is served in a cafe called Ponzi's a couple blocks towards Termini station and it consists of a cappuccino and a sweet bun and when I say sweet I mean SWEET. They simply don't serve savory croissants at all and having a bun filled with custard for breakfast is quite a challenge!

So, in summary,
Location - 10-15 minutes to Colosseo, 5-7 to Termini station, 2 to the nearest metro station. The street itself mainly residential and reasonably quiet, several good restaurants nearby, we particularily like the local Indian Krishna 13 and Il Secchio nearer Termini.

Staff - very friendly, especially Paolo the patrone, but again, PLEASE try your best to inform them of your time of arrival, you really DON'T want to spend hours on end pressing the doorbell downstairs.

Rooms - spacious, had a fan and two windows, good mattresses, kept spotless although the beds were not made or the towels changed but I'm sure you could get new ones if you manage to catch anyone at the office. Also - and it feels silly that I even have to mention this - don't go there expecting Claridge's standards, the paint in the windowsills is flaking and the hinges of the windows are a bit rusty and the views from the toilet windows are of the next door neighbours laundry lines. That is why you only have to pay so few euros.

Sleep quality - as expected in a Roman residential area. Hope you won't have any party animals as fellow guests because the corridor can be VERY noisy.

One last thing, the wireless connection is very strong and fast, one of the only criteria my husband ever has when choosing a place to stay. And a guarantee for me get one more wink of sleep in the mornings :D
We would stay at the A i A again, for the price and the location. Thank you, Paolo!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you want to visit Rome, you have to book here. The rooms are clean (just completely renovated) en big enough for a stay in Rome. The location is superbe: the Colosseum is about a 10min walk and the metro is a one minute walk. The owners are most friendly and you can ask them anything (like a great restaurant in the neighbourhoud).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Rome
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Never stay in this hotel. We had to go there at night. We slept at midnight, 1 hour later, my husband woke up with itches. But we could hear mosquitos' voices. When we looked at the bed, there were thousands of insects on bed. This is not hotel, a guest room, so there is not a reception. We could not find a responsible person, we had to stay that night without sleeping. We paid 2 nights payment. In the morning, we looked for hotel's boss (Paolo), but we were informed that he was not in Rome, they wouldn'y pay our money, they could change the room. Now, I am able to forget that night.:(:(:(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Excellent value for a large room so close to a metro stop in Rome. We thought the breakfast tickets for beverage and croissant at a cafe two streets away would not be useful. But, they were good any day from 0700 till 2200 so were fantastic for a midday break. Shared bath no problem during April.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Evergreen Park, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I booked this hotel for my first trip to Rome and felt that it would be ok due to the mixed reviews. I should have paid more attention to the bad reviews because they were true. I had to call the hotel several times before getting someone on the phone to alert them to my arrival which is what they ask you to do after booking. I then found the address listed and buzzed to be let in but, much to my surprise, the woman came down because the rooms weren't actually in that building but in another one on a different block. The room was clean but the bed was uncomfortable and it was hot. The room had a ceiling fan but it would take a giant to reach it. And it's sandwiched in between two bars so not a very safe place to stay if traveling alone. The toilet seat is still broken as is the shower door and drain. I ended up finding a different hotel and just losing the money I had paid for this one because otherwise, it would have ruined my whole experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I booked my room in a hurry when my flight home was cancelled due to a General Strike and paid the bill upfront. In the Expedia pages (in both the photos and the written description) it clearly indicated that the room had a television but there wasn't one. As I am learning Italian this was very important to me. Even though I spoke to the staff about this nothing was done to find me one. The toilet seat in one of the bathrooms is broken.This was referred to by another customer who wrote a review after staying there in May 2011. In September 2011 it is still broken. It would only cost about 20 euros to put right. Although this is a "No Smoking" B & B, the staff who come in the morning at 7am smoke constantly and the smoke fills the bedrooms. It is extremely unpleasant.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Art in Accommodation? Share your experiences!