“Red Bus City Sightseeing Tour HOHO was most unenjoyable” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Roma Cristiana Hop On Hop Off Bus

Roma Cristiana Hop On Hop Off Bus
Piazza dei Cinquecento, Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)
Improve this listing
Ranked #629 of 889 Activities in Rome
Christchurch
15 attraction reviews
“Red Bus City Sightseeing Tour HOHO was most unenjoyable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

travelled with my parents who have done several HOHO tours in world cities and loved them, but not this time. We were all on the Red bus and have come away very disappointed and thinking what a waste of money. Sorry, but it was pretty awful. The stops were poorly marked and some were completely unmarked. Commentary was so hard to follow as it didnt match what we were seeing eg it would start talking about something we had already gone past. There is NO rain or sun cover at all. The other buses had this cover so when it started pouring down, people would have stayed moderately dry. Not us, we got soaked. It was misserable. Buses are very infrequent on a Monday, only every 50 mins. I would try the Green bus next time. It seemed to at least run frequently, with lots of buses, and has some optional shelter if the weather turns bad.

• Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“Rome One Day for under $50”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We cruised with Norweigen Epic and docked at Civitavecchia. If you took the Rome on Your Own ship excursion, it would cost you at least $99. This covers nothing but just the transportation. I read a lot of articles about going to Rome via local train service from Civitavecchia. So I decided to venture on our own.

It takes 3 hours both ways (even with the ship excursion), so you need to wake up very early. We were down the ship by 7.20am. There was a FREE port shuttle taking you to the gate of the port (no need to wait at that hour). From the gate, you just walk along the shore with a very nice water view. It was a relaxing 10-15 minute easy walk. The train station is at your left side so you just need to cross the street for once only. There will be people walking so you do not need to worry about the direction.

We bought BIRG tickets for 9 Euro return. This ticket should cover Metro subway in Rome but we didn't need to use the Metro system. So I can't confirm this for you. We bought the tickets at a small convenience store but you can easily buy them at the train station - which had no line up at that hour either.

You need to validate the ticket at a small yellow box at the train station.

It's a small station with maybe 3 tracks. For train schedule, visit www.trenitalia.it. But it's usually every 30 minutes. We boarded 8.02am train. You need to be aware that the website I gave you only shows near future schedule. If you key in a date that is a month ahead, it won't be able to tell you.

We arrived at Roma Termini at 9.23am.

If you venture for some small street walks, I suggest you get off at st. Pietro station which was several stops before the final Roma Termini. This means you avoid the morning traffice into the downtown Rome and can visit Vatican at early hour (potentially avoid the crowds). From St. Pietro station to Vatican is just about 15 minutes walk - but you may get lost a bit as there are small streets.

We chose to go to Roma Termini directly for two reasons. a) I'm traveling with my elderly parents. the less walk the better b) we bought Hop on and off bus tickets and it was supposed to be easier to find the bus stop at the Termini. If you are in good shape, and like to venture, St. Pietro is a better option actually.

The Bus tour was $27 and I purchased it before I left for the trip. But you can easily purchase at the bus stop, not a big problem. There is a bus stop right in front of St Pietro Square so you can get on the bus after you visit Vatican there.

Now, taking train back to Civitavecchia. If you leave from Roma Termini, remember it's a huge station and the trains to Civitavvechia are usually at the other end. I asked the police and they told me the train is usually waiting at Platform 25-27. This information is very helpful as you do not need to wander around and get frustrated. Platform information may change but for now it's anyone between 25-27. So double check by the time you go.

Overall, it was not a difficult day trip, considering you only pay 9 Euro as opposed to $99 to the ship.

One good thing leaving from Roma Termini as opposed to St. Pietro station on the way back is that you guarantee a seat - it's a 1.5 hour trip. You may need to take a quick snooze sitting there after a day's tiring walking.

Bus tour - it's great if this is your first time in Rome and you want to see all the major sites. However, you will not have much time to see other sites if you want to go in Coloseum or Vatican. The line up to Coloseum was a minimum of 1 hour, and cost 11 Euro.

The traffic in Rome was very bad. You can take advantage of this to take numerous pictures but it does create a bit of stress worrying whether you can finish all the sites and get on a train back to ship for the 1st timer in Rome.

But it is definitely worth going to Rome, the most magnificant city in the world in my opinion. You will be amazed by the architectures people built over 1 thousand years or 2,000 years ago. Wondering how couldn't we do such beautiful things anymore.

Boston, Massachusetts
12 attraction reviews
“Rome is a beautiful city to explore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Hop on/Hop off makes it easy to hit all the spots -- Rome is a very large old city --
and it literally would take hours to get around by foot. Make life easier and see more
city by taking the hop on/hop off busses. It's worth it.

Visited June 2011
Menomonie, Wisconsin
37 attraction reviews
“Travel Rome Easily”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I found these buses the easist to see the city and the attractions of Rome. The Rome Pass was much more difficult to manage and was a waste of my dollers. If you don't want to think too hard this is the way to go.

Visited November 2011
Miami, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“No service, buses in poor condition”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

don't be miss led by the name "Roma Cristiana". The buses are old, I cannot say the service is poor because there is no service. It took me 30 minutes to buy 2 tickets and get my change. I should have walked away because it only got worse. Hop on Hop off buses are a great way of seeing the city. Fortunately in Rome there are 3 other companies to choose from.
Don't go with this one!!!