“Very Nice Room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #413 of 2,893 Rome B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas, United States
“Very Nice Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

There was three of us -- me and two teenage kids --- stayed in the family room for 5 nights July 10-20. Monica and others working there were really nice. We got back from being out early morning (waking up early because of residual jet lag) and got back late (after 10 am) for the modest continental breakfast, and the lady at the desk went and broke out the breakfast for is after it was closed and had already been put away.

Yet, the most important aspect to me is this is a very good value. Don't spend big dollars but get very nice room in good location. I recommend this hotel for singles, couples, or families.

It is not adjacent to the Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, or Piazza Navona, but the hotel ain't far from those sites. Can walk, or take cheap taxi ride, or metro, or bus. The hotel area is a nice area and conveniently close to Termini, the transportation hub of Rome.

It was a hot July in Rome. Not as hot as Houston but hot. Cooler early morning or late night, The humidity actually dropped one morning and it was a nice out and about.

I give this great hotel 5/5 for value. We booked early paid a very modest price (with a 30% discount for a 5-night stay), and it was the least expensive and had the nicest room of any hotel we stayed the 3 weeks we were in Europe.

The room is small but the all rooms we stayed in Europe were small. This room by far has the largest bathroom (it was the family room) of any hotel room we stayed in Europe. I would have liked to have had a balcony because I smoke but the family room does not have a balcony (I think the hotel only has one family room). We did have a view of a green courtyard.

Hotel Capitolium is a B&B with just a few rooms. No hotel employee at the front desk (a tiny lobby area) after 10 pm but not a problem as it was well-secured and relatively easy to get in and out of the hotel. It really was not a problem in any way to me. Kind of like home.

The last night we were there, me and my son went to a concert, and my 17-yr old daughter stayed at the room by herself for several hers. Monica watched out for her until 10 pm. Also, earlier, Monica had spent almost 45 minutes on the computer trying to help get special bus tickets for our return from the concert.

A tiny elevator gets you to the lobby floor. There is a public bathroom adjacent the lobby area.

The cons were (1) displaced to another hotel the first night which was not as nice but good in ways, but kind of interrupted the pace of our schedule, (2) no English channels on the TV (i.e., no BBC or CNN International), and (3) a hot July lobby and breakfast area, but that is about it on cons

It was hot everywhere we went in Rome. Europeans do not seem big on A/C in public areas. Though the rooms in Europe we stayed including this room had good A/C. The A/C did not blast but it cooled relatively quickly and would get comfortably cold for a good relief in July.

The tiny refrigerator did not get extremely cold, and plus could not run when you left the room because could not leave the room key in the wall slot to keep the room electricity going. But at least the room had a refrigerator, and we used it to cool water and sodas.

Again, we were in Europe almost 3 weeks, and this place had the nicest room and also the least expensive of any hotel we stayed. Clean, new and nicely remodeled (my daughter liked the wallpaper), good A/C, had a new safe, new and very large bathroom, and good shower. We stayed in their family having two good-sized double beds. My two teenagers slept comfortably on one, and I slept on the other.

I think location is good. I liked the area. A laundry close down the street. A good little grocery store about 7 minute walk. ATMs not too far away. Villers metro about a 10 minute walk. Termini about a 15 minute walk. We took a train for a day trip to Florence.

We rode the metro and took taxis, and walked. Next time, I would learn the buses, at least a couple of key buses.

Room Tip: The family room is not a huge room but has a large bathroom and two decent size double beds. Can sl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Oakville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I chose Capitolium based on price, location and TripAdvisor reviews. Monica convinced me to use her arranged driver from FCO instead of taking the express train to Termini and walking. It was the right move for me and my two kids - €45 vs €14 x 3 = €42. Our flight was redirected due to an emergency but after a 7 hour delay we arrived to find the driver was there with our name on his sign. What a relief, after 24 hours travel time from Toronto with young kids! The driver spoke multiple languages and gave us a quick tour on the way into town.

I was glad not to have needed to walk and find the place also - no hanging shingle, but a nice brass plate by the dark wood door. You enter on the ground floor - Terre. The entrance is two floors up on the second floor' which was a little confusing for me as I expected the second floor to be one floor above the ground. The small old fashioned elevator (close outside door and two interior doors) works well and does access the Capitolium just fine. The kids marveled at it and raced me (and just lost) both up and down several trips.

Capitolium feels like a nice B&B - five rooms face a beautiful and serene (if inaccessible) courtyard' while a sixth double room faces the street. The place was always very quiet. We stayed in room 3, but. Monica let the kids stay in 5 for the first night as it was not occupied. They were very impressed, although they noticed the wallpaper in one corner is peeling, as is the paint in the top corner in their shower. Water pressure was good and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. I was also impressed with the marble shower and fully adjustable shower head. Tall, hot, sliding glass door. Rooms 3-5 have the best view (south) of the courtyard for sure, but realistically we looked out for a grand total of about a minute. From the diagram, perhaps room 2 is the largest of the five rear rooms, but I would easily accept any in future. Practically identical. It was far more important that the three levels of curtain provided complete blackout conditions, given the time zone changes for us we needed to sleep in! Every room has excellent quiet a/c (I like it cold, and it has no on/off cycling noise changes), free wi-fi, tv (never used). More important, a bottle of wine in the room was €5. It kept cold in the fridge. Only issue for the fridge is that it it enclosed in a small cabinet that forces it to work overtime to stay cold. Not an issue for me but it should be vented at the back to be more efficient. Monica offered the kitchen fridge if needed, but it wasn't. Beds perfect and crisp clean sheets and pillows. Other interesting facts about the room include no phone (free use of phone at front desk), no shampoo or tissues.

Frankly, I could not have dreamed of a better place. But Monica made the whole experience very special for me and the boys. Monica spent a lot of time sitting with us to discuss Orin's for seeing the sites. She booked us our tours, suggested great value restaurants, and spots for us to pick up tasty picnic items. She printed off maps and explained how to use the metro (subways) buses etc and told us what packages to purchase to save time and money. We like to walk everywhere but even we took advantage of the metro and bus system to save time. Monica was always very pleasant, but she added something special forums as took a genuine interest in helping us make the most of our stay. To me that is priceless.

Room Tip: Any room that's available. They are identical.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just returned from a fabulous 4 night stay at the Capitolium Rooms in Rome and would return without a doubt.

Very good value for money and just a few minutes walk from Termini station.... a perfect location if you have a late arrival or early morning departure from the station.

The hotel is located on the second floor of a residential apartment building with a stern-looking door attendant who is actually very sweet when approached... The rooms are very clean, comfortable and well appointed. Great air conditioning. We were given loads of fresh towels and clean linens daily. The staff were consistently friendly and full of good advice on directions, restaurant recommendations, etc.

I would however recommend that the hotel upgrade it's television satellite system to include at least a few English channels... if there were any, I couldn't find them!

The breakfast room is small, but the staff were extremely accommodating to make sure we were well taken care of. I took full advantage of the free tea and coffee all day long... a nice touch! The fridge in our room wasn't working for some reason, so the staff informed us that we could use the hotel fridge and use the kitchen 'as if we were at home.' Perfect answer.

Montebello is a good street for eating as well: we enjoyed two very good meals at the Steakhouse almost directly across the street... excellent pizza and pasta dishes for reasonable prices. Also, we discovered a small market on Montebello street selling fresh fruit and vegetables early in the morning, as well as quirky cheap clothing.

I consider this hotel to be a great find in central Rome!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the charming courtyard and huge palm trees
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dundas, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were looking for a quiet, clean hotel near Termini Station, as we would frequent Termini from the airport, for the Hop On buses and to leave. Simply convenient. This is a unique property as there are only six rooms. They are on the second floor of a residential building on a quiet street with little traffic. Our room, as did most, faced a beautiful park like setting. Although there is no staff from 10 pm to about 7 am, you can reach the staff in a crisis, as the own a hotel on the same block.

The rooms are clean and quiet. They are recently renovated, with new bathrooms, small flat screen TV and free, fast wifi. There is also a small fridge in the room. The breakfast is included, which is pretty basic. Bread, jam, cheese, yogurt, cereal, pastry and juice. There is tea, which is available all day in the breakfast room. There is an automatic espresso machine available at breakfast, but we preferred to get ours nearby.

The staff is exceptionally friendly and recommended nearby restaurants with good accuracy. I can't imagine needing more. I would stay here again without hesitation and recommend it to anyone. By the way there is a small market on the street most days to pick up some fresh fruit.

Room Tip: There is an very small elevator in the building but it does not go to this floor. If you have mobili...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Good central location in the heart of old Rome. Close to the Roma Termini and easy walk to all the attractions. Local markets down Montebello and some excellent restaurants and cafes nearby. Well appointed, clean rooms, nice bathroom. Breakfast room a little squeezy , but a good continental spread laid out.

I can't say enough good things about the staff, especially Monica on the front desk.

We were arriving late at night in Rome (9:45pm) - Monica organised a car to pick us up from the airport and left our key at a neighbouring hotel. She also went out of her way in organising Vatican Museum tickets for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Reasonable price, exceptional staff (great with children, gave lessons on how to make their wonderful coffee cake, etc.), and very clean. Intimate, with only a few rooms. Very comfortable. Apartment with hotel-style service. Caro and Gabi love the capitolium rooms!

The Hague, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I traveled with my family to Rome last May 2013 & we stayed in this townhouse/hotel .
I chose this hotel based on good reviews of other travellers & it didn't dissappoint me.

The hotel :
1) Conveniently located within walking distance from many restaurants.
2) Termini Train Station was about 10-12 minutes walk from the hotel.
3) Our room was cozy , quiet and very clean .
4) Bathroom was very clean & spacious
5) View from our bedroom window - palm trees & green plants but not in full view as we had
the corner room # 1.
( I think room # 2 & room # 3 have the full view of the back garden)
6) We had fresh flowers in our room .
7) Not expensive & with good customer service
(a good value for money)

The hotel staffs :
1) very friendly
2) very helpful
3) always smiling

The breakfast :
1) buffet breakfast was included in the price of the room.
2) The breakfast room is a bit small but cozy & felt like home !
3) Many choices for breakfast like fruits , croissant, diff. kind of cereals, cakes , brown & white bread, cold fruit drinks,warm drinks ,milk ,yogurt,butter & diff kind of fruit jams.

And my only small complain - the refrigerator in our room was not really cold but they allowed me to use the refrigerator in the kitchen (very accomodating indeed) :-)

Overall it's a cozy & very clean place to stay when you are in Rome & I will definitely recommend this place to my friends & families. Will go back again !

Room Tip: I think room # 2 & room # 3 have the full view of the back garden. Our room #1 didn't have...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Capitolium Rooms? Share your experiences!