“Hostel bello” 5 of 5 stars

Via Napoleone III, 75 | 1st floor, 00185 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #472 of 628 Specialty Lodging in Rome
“Hostel bello”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Salvem i stay with my girlfriend in this hostel month of august, very clean rooms, my room has also a bathroom, Silvio he give to us towelsm breakfast is free and you have wifi free, Vallar the lady of reception is very friendly with us,i reccomend this hostel

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Sofia, Bulgaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were there for 4 nights in a double room with private bathroom. The room was small but nice, bathroom was almost as big as the room and clean. The hostel is very good located, maybe 15 min walking from the Colloseum. The staff is very friendly.
There was a very nice view from our room

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We booked Cherry Hostel on december to a group of 20 people. We were told there were rooms with bathroom to everybody, and we were charged for it. When we arrived, there was no room for everybody, and they simply transfered some of us to other nigntmare hostel, the Gino. Dirty bathrooms, with non-working toillets, dirty fan (in 40ºC summer), no water in some bathrooms, and when we asked to wash some clothes, they said the machine was broken, but we saw it working on next morning. The owners spend all day watching tv and drinking beer, they don't know about anything, look at you with ugly face when someone asks for a new towel. But the worst things were the bedbugs and ticks. Some of us got sick and we menaced them with the police, then they sent everybody out for one day since 07:00 am. Then we decide to move to a better place. A real nightmare!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Arneil G, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Cherry Hostel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
We are sorry about such trouble, we already changed many things about our structures, manager, staffs they are all replaced and also renewed our structure, furnitures, beds and improved with new wash machines, air condition.
there are no more drunking receptionist, our staff clean room everyday and towel are replaced.

we are happy to help our guest, dont hesitate to ask to our staffs for any kind of request.

Thank you for your review, we hope you will come back to visit us and see our improvements.

Best Regards
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Bad service. Very bad rooms. Really it's not worth it!

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Traveler,
We know why you saying thing like that our old manager really maked a bad works,
the owener has already changed the management and staffs, improving and renewed all the structure inside the hostels, furniture/beds/wash machine/microwave.

our price is a bit higher than the past, but still in line with the best offers.

Thank your for your review, please next time put more information in your review, adjective like good/bad dont help other traveler to understand(and dont mean anything if you dont approach the cause) , a more detailed review help the reader to understand the circumstances and in which why are bad or good.

Best Regard,
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at the Cherry Hostel from June 2nd to 6th and had expected more than what I got, although I was prepared for something less than average since I am a student.

I arrived alone around 2 o'clock by the Leonardo Express at the Termini, which is only about 10 minutes walk from the hostel. The location is practical thanks to its proximity to the Colosseum and the metro stations. I was alone since my friend was joining me the next day. We had reserved for two even though I was alone the first night so it was less complicated, but they were very confused that I was alone. They wanted me to pay right away. I said no, but they asked me to register and asked for my passport. I said no again and gave them another identity card instead. They were very confused and asked me to fill it myself, which I did. We agreed to pay at the end of the stay, when my friend would be there with her credit card. It was quite hard to be understood since they spoke little english or none at all.

When I got there my room was of course not ready so they told me to come back one or two hours later and it would be ready. I asked to take a shower which I could fortunately do since they aren't in the rooms. They are commune bathrooms and even if they are very small, they are pretty clean. Nothing to complain about here.

After I had to leave my luggage unattended in what seems to be the living room (the hotel is in fact a pensionhouse). I didn't like it too much so I put my locker on it, but there were at least three other luggages in there too and two staff people were hanging out there. I left and returned around 5:30 and my room was still not ready! I had the impression they did nothing to prepare it so I demanded it was done now. It almost took an hour but I used it to surf the Internet instead. It is quite good when you stand in the kitchen and in the rooms close by, but outside and in the rooms more far away, you either have poor connection or none at all.

I don't know why but my room was unavailable so they gave me one with a double bed instead for the first night. I was pleased since the mattress was correct, not as poor as I'd expected. There was a little plasma TV in the room and they gave me two towels. It was very small and I had next to no place to put my luggage, but it was fine. I stayed around in the kitchen for a while and the staff people joined me and talked to me. They were very nice and sympathetic.

I went to bed around 10 and it was quiet in the hostel since there wasn't many people. I woke up around midnight to go to the bathroom and had to cross the living room, where I had the surprise to find two staff members asleep on the couches. This happened everynight so I guess they just stay here or almost live here all the time.

I got woken up around 5 in the morning by the birds and again at 8 by one of the staff members who was doing I don't know what with water on the balcony, which was next to my window. I could hear everything, but after a while it ceased, so not so bad. Get earplugs.

Next morning they served breakfast until 10 a.m. but they didn't care if I ate even though it was later than that. They serve mini toasts with jam. They have a fridge where you can store what you want. It was quite fine with me except that the toasts really don't fill you up for a day of travelling. There is a supermarket near where I bought bottled water, fruits and snacks to complete this small breakfast.

I came back in the afternoon to meet my friend and the staff member was hanging out in the kitchen. They are very nice and want to talk to you even though some are not very fluent. Myriam doesn't speak english at all but is by far the nicest!

When we came back at night we showered and transfered my stuff in our real room: two simple beds next to the walls, small room but okay, except for the goddamn mattresses. They were completely worn out, so much that when I went to bed I could feel every spring in it. Nothing to do with the mattress of the first room. It was very noisy and the window didn't block any of the sounds coming from the indoor garden. The staff had people over for dinner and were talking very loudly. They left around midnight, but around 12:30 they stuck a fight with each other and were arguing SO LOUDLY I was getting mad. At one point one of them punched our wall. I went out to tell them to please stop, which they did with excuses, but resumed ten minutes later. It was very rude and we were pretty helpless since they were the staff members and wouldn't shut up when we told them we were trying to sleep.

Also, our room's door had a glass window and if they opened the lights in the living room, you would have the light right in your face while trying to sleep. Also, people walk non stop in the corridor, so you hear e-ve-ry-thing.

We had poor sleep that night but it was less painful the next. In the mornings breakfast started to get crowdy and we talked to an australian couple who was very nice... Until we went to sleep at night. They were in the room next to the living room so their window was perpendicular to ours in the indoor garden and they argued from 11 p.m. to midnight, keeping us awake, and again around 2 o'clock in the morning. I again went outside to complain to the staff members but all they told me was that they were keeping them awake too. They didn't go see them at all, which they should have done in my opinion.

When it came down to paying our stay, we had beed assured they we could use our credit card, and it was written in a big poster right behind the reception counter... but we still couldn't. They wanted us to pay in cash but we didn't have enough money, so after much arguing we agreed to go pay to another hostel nearby, in front of the Termini. Ten minutes walk and six flights of stairs later we paid and still had to pay around 5% of fees.

So in general the staff is nice but nothing to do with real hotel staff. They seem to be a group of 5-6 friends owning a very big appartment that they rent to travelers. The noise is the biggest concern here, it really is a major problem, especially if you are recovering from jetlag and desperately need your sleep. Comfort is not their greatest point either. I wouldn't recommend it much.

Room Tip: Ask for the room at the back completely: there are two doors before yours so it's pretty quiet...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Traveler,
First of all, all what you writed is right. we are really sorry for all this disservice, right now we have renewed all our structure and replaced our old managers, staffs and improved all the furniture.

there are no more noisy staffs/animal, sleeping on the hostel or drunkin.

Thank you for your long report. it's really detailed, we hope you may come back to visit us and see our renewed structure.

Best Regards.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Booked this hostel because it was close to main station. Arrived in the morning and had to store our bags in an unlocked public area and was told that we could only check in at around 6pm at a different location (luckily for us, closer to station). Upon arrival back at 6, had to wait, and was taken to a different location, 10 minute walk at least in the opposite direction with no explanation. Room was average and a little dirty, double bed was two poor singles pushed together at different heights. Bathrooms didn't flush, and doors were hard to unlock. The only positive we're decent kitchen facilities, although breakfast was not served on time meaning we missed it. Would not stay again

• Stayed May 2012
West Midlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We reserved two double rooms at cherry hostel. When we arrived, the place looks very messy and old, and we were told to pay full 3 nights in cash in advance, that immediately triggered my alarm and we refused to pay by cash in advance. The lady who seems to be one of the owners then said it was okay, so we agreed to pay night by night by cash. Then we were taken to another guest house 'sunny guest house' about 4/5 blocks away, and given a ancient room with a double bed and a bunk bed with no ladder going to the upper bed. The duvets had feather sticking out and looks older than my age, the furniture looks very old and dirty. There were another group sharing the flat, and there are two bathrooms and a kitchen in the flat. One of the bathroom doors wouldn't shut and left a pretty visible gap, the other one stinks with pee and the floor was so wet in the evening after people having showers. The kettle was full of lime scale, so thick that even after boiling the water you can see little white piece of lime scale in your cup. The breakfast was okay - basically they'll leave some milk, bread and cheese on the table then you just help yourself. Wifi internet is free.
We researched a bit more at night and we found out that many people found bed bugs, although it seems that they were mainly found in the rooms at the main office, but the bed sheets didn't look very clean, so we decided to check out after the first night.
People were walking in and out of our room in the morning without knocking, and there were different people coming in and out of the flat that we don't really know who they are.
One of the owners saw us leaving and he went furious on us, we explained to him that we didn't book the sunny guest house, nor we booked one room for four people (we booked two doubles). He claimed that we requested it because we wanted to stay together but we didn't ask for that at all. I also told him that the place is dirty and he said that's nothing, then I told him that people had been complaining about the bed bugs and the he said it was 3 years ago. When we arrived the reception to check out, and we explained the situation to the lady there, she was more understanding and we agreed to pay the first night of stay. But that man was threatening us to charge us for 3 nights on our credit cards and he tried to stop the receptionist to give us a receipt for the cash payment of the first night of stay. Luckily we did manage to checkout and had a receipt of what we paid. We also spoke to hotels.com where we booked this hostel, they told us the cancellation policy is to pay the first night of stay which we were anywhere, and they offered to help if we couldn't agree with the hostel with the early checkout due to the the quality of the service they provide.
We managed to book another place nearer to the station with around 3 euros more but with hotel standard facilities. If you travel in a group it's not that expensive to stay in the central if you're willing to stay in the same room, if you're a solo traveller just stay away from the central, you can travel by metro anyway. Just stay out of this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Cherry Hostel? Share your experiences!