“Fantastic place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Midi Rome
Via Giolitti 415, 00185 Rome, Italy (Esquilino)   |
Ranked #1,098 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Cork, Ireland
“Fantastic place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

After reading a number of negative reviews of this hotel, I was a bit apprehensive about my trip to Rome. It was my first time there and I wanted everything to be perfect! We arrived at the hotel at night and the surrounding area looked dirty, unfriendly and a little intimidating. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by the Midi Hotel. We were buzzed in at the door which made us feel very safe, and upon entering we were delighted to see a very clean and open reception area with a staff member who spoke perfect English.

Our room was on the first floor, overlooking the conservatory for breakfast, and the garden. We had a balcony, which was great for sitting out after a long day of walking, and also very handy as my partner smokes (ash trays are provided). Our room was small and compact, but very cosy and comfortable, however the bathroom was tiny and the toilet was awkwardly placed and hard to use. There is a bedet, in the centre of the room and the toilet is between the shower and a wall and is very cramped. We are both tall so it was a little awkward, but this is only a minor issue. The shower was small, with a fixed shower head and a detachable one, and the water pressure was great. The corner of our shower had a leak, so afterwards we put a towel down to dry up the water, which wasn't much. We didn't use the TV or mini bar, we really just wanted a place to sleep. The bed was very comfortable, and there wasn't much noise at the back of the hotel, so if you don't like noise I would recommend asking for a room at the back. The room had shutter and glass doors that lead onto the balcony, and it was nice to leave the shutters open as it was quite warm at night (even in March).

The breakfast was pretty basic, bread that you had the option to make toast with, pre packed croissants, cereal and juice. We only ate breakfast one day of the four we stayed, not because we didn't like it but because we were either out quite early or we slept in a bit.

The location of the hotel is great, close enough to the Termini station and within walking distance to many sights. We got Roma Passes on our first day and would recommend them for free entrance to two museums or archeological sites,and free travel on all metro, bus and tram routes (they cost €25 and are valid for three days). We used the metro a lot and it was very easy to find our way around. There is a great restaurant, a street away on Via Manzoni called RED, and we ate there every night. The food is seriously nice, and very reasonably priced, and the staff are very welcoming and friendly and speak English as well as Italian. They really love to hear a few words in Italian, as do most other Italians. They seem to make more of an effort to help you if you make an attempt to use their language.

Overall, the Midi Hotel was a fantastic base for us over the four days we spent in Rome. The location and price were perfect, as well as helpful staff, some of whom went that extra mile to help us. I had an excellent time in Rome and I can't wait to go back already. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Having read all the bad comments regarding this hotel before I travelled, I wasn't looking forward to going there. However, I found this hotel ideal for me. The rooms were clean, en suite and air conditioned. There was no lift but I was on the first floor anyway so wasn't an issue. One member of staff was very helpful, polite and personal, always remembering me and my room number. Breakfast was simple: cereal and toast, but with all that pasta and pizza to be had later it was enough for me and again, not bad at all. The only quibble was the location. The trams outside didn't seem to go to the city centre so had to walk to Termini for the metro but again, not a tremendous issue. One thing to remember when reading reviews, people are different and expectations are different. Since all I wanted was somewhere to crash at night, I found it more than adequate. Had I expected anything more, then maybe not but I was pleased with it, very pleased with all aspects. The hotel is highly recommended and would consider going there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed at the hotel Midi in Rome recently-in June 2010. We were sold it as a 3 star hotel and we had booked through lastminute.com who advertised the room as a superior double with air conditioning. Fortunately, the air conditioning was the only good thing about this hotel. The man at the reception was surly and unhelpful. We had to stagger up 3 flights of stairs with our luggage-no lift.
The room was clean and so was the bathroom, but the hairdryer was tied to the wall with string.
The instructions for the television were sellotaped onto the top of the set and the translation into English was so bad that it did not make sense. When we turned the set on all we could get was one channel in Swedish!
The breakfast was terrible-no fresh produce at all -just sliced bread and everything else was packaged and probably bought from the local supermarket-no cheese, no meats, no fresh fruits. The woman on duty in the breakfast area was also sullen and looked as if she would rather be anywhere than serving the breakfasts.
Our room was not really very secure-the door had been nailed up to stop it falling away from the door frame.
We also noticed that there was no fire evacuation procedures and no fire escape.No disabled access either. This is more like a hostel, and it was classified by the Rome tourist board as a 2 star-so why are lastminute.com promoting it as a 3 star.
We have written to both lastminute.com and the Rome tourist board enclosing photographs, but as yet have not heard anything.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Berkshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

Having paid just £200 for a 3 night trip to Rome, including flights, I knew the hotel wouldn't be 5*. I read the reviews on this site and to be honest I was not looking forward to staying there, but I was going to Rome to see the sights, not to spend all my time in a hotel. However I was pleasantly surprised as it really wasn't that bad. If you are going to Termini train station, turn left when you exit, it's probably best to cross to the opposite side of the street as there isn't much of a pavement. It takes about 10 minutes to walk, and the area isn't great, but steadily improves as you near the hotel. We were checked in quickly, and had a few stairs to climb, (no lift) the decor is a little tatty but the room was clean, everything worked, and was very quiet-overlooking gardens and breakfast area. Just remember to put your room entry card into the wall slot to "activate" the rooms electricity. There's a tv, safe, spare blankets, hair dryer and a decent shower. The room was cleaned every day. I can honestly say the only negative point to the room was that the power sockets had strange adaptors already fitted meaning we couldnt charge our phones with the usual continental adaptor. It wasn't a major problem as there was a normal socket outside in the hallway, just had to keep an eye on the phone while it was charging! Breakfast was perfectly adequate; a choice of 3 cereals, and plenty of toast that you toast yourself. Tea, coffee, and juice were limitless. The staff were always attentive and topped up the coffee, milk etc. There is always someone on reception 24 hours a day. The restaurants just around the corner from the hotel are very good, I ate at 3 of them. I really cannot fault this hotel if you are going to Rome for a no-frills visit, and would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2009
Soenderborg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

When you look at the pictures it seems ok, but think a second time before you book this hotel. Or I would more call it a hostel. OK you have your own room with bathroom, but that is it. The rooms are dirty and there is much noise from trains and traffic on the road. They have an ok little garden where you sit and eat your breakfast, but the breakfast is worth nothing. You get some dry toast what you have to make yourself, some very cheep cheese without any taste and the worst ham I have ever tried. The money you pay for this is not worth it. We travel alot and have seen some different quality hotels, but this is so far the worst we have stayed in.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Aylesbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

The hotel was lovely. We arrived at 1am we were greeted by the recepionist who was very helpful and friendly.
The room was very nice, clean and comfortable, brand new bathroom, tv and modern bedroom.
Very close to all the main attractions by foot, or next to Termini if you prefer to travel by train or catch tour buses.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Got a room on first floor facing the street, obviously noisy as there´s heavy traffic and trams running outside. But the staff was understandable and the day after we change to a room overlooking the small backyard.
The room was ok (beside some mould in the shower and some shabby walls). The best about Midi is the location. Walking distance to Colloseum and Fontana di Trevi. On Viale Manzoni there is also a supermarket and subway station.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Midi Rome? Share your experiences!