“These people care!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,747 of 2,884 Rome B&B and Inns
Watsontown, Pennsylvania
“These people care!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

First, let me say that Ski G has it exactly right. Via Veneto House (VVH) does not have a sauna, golf course, swimming pool, or exercise room. It doesn't even have a restaurant. You get vouchers for a continental breakfast at a cafe approximately a block away on the upscale Via Veneto.
VVH is actually a suite of 5 rooms on the 4th floor (remember, Europeans count our 2nd floor as their 1st ) of a large building. The key arrangement has been described by joemdo91. So the first key gets you into the building, the second key gets you into the 4th floor suite and the third key gets you into your room.
The lady you're most likely to deal with is Martina, who with her mother operates VVH as well as several other properties in Rome. Martina is assisted by Ilaria, who is the girlfriend of Martina's brother. In short, this is a family (not corporate) operation. Why this is important follows:
We arrived at Heathrow after departing from the US for a 3-day pre-cruise stay in Rome and learned that the airport was closed because of a strike. Thus, our scheduled departure on Alitalia from Heathrow to Rome was delayed 5 hours and rerouted via Brussels. Well of course, there was no way our luggage could keep up, but Alitalia failed to notify any of its passengers, who spent two hours waiting at the baggage carousel until we all decided to go to the Alitalia baggage claim window. By now it was after 10:00 PM and 2 of the three claim clerks announced it was quitting time and went home. We arrived at VVH around midnight, just in time to see Ilaria and boyfriend also arriving to meet us and explain the keys etc.
The next morning Ilaria had notified Martina of our problem and they agreed to contact Alitalia and keep on top of our problem. (Remember, we had to have our luggage in time to get on our cruise ship.) The two of them called constantly, getting replies ranging from "The luggage is here and will be delivered tomorrow" to "We don't have any information about the luggage".
For two days, these two kept after Alitalia, who kept promising that the luggage would be delivered "tomorrow morning". Fortunately, one of their calls had resulted in a specific flight number. Onthe afternoon before we were due to leave, we decided to go to the airport ourselves and sort the matter out. Our luggage was not in Alitalia's hands at all, but at the lost luggage room of another airline.
So the story had a happy ending, but only because Martina and Ilaria made our problem their problem. Now we can look back and smile at the sight of Ilaria on the phone, slowly losing her temper and laying into some faceless airline clerk in typical Italian fashion.
The moral of the story: Stay at VVH. Avoid Alitalia like the plague; the airline doesn't care about its passengers.

Room Tip: Room 1 (our room) is typical European size (approximately 12' X 12'). Room 2 is considerably...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
viavenetohouse, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Via Veneto House, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you so much for the positive comment you left! Our concern is always trying to make our guests feel at home and transmit the heat that is precisely due to the bond that unites us. We are delighted that you have appreciated our commitment, we will give it all to make your staying calm and worry-free! Again: GRAZIE!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Amherst, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Via Veneto House - WOW - Wonderful - Excellent - best value for our money - exactly what we wanted -- a town house room close to the center of town. The room was fresh, bright, clean and well decorated - The bathroom was equally so.
The people were awesome - kind, helpful and went out of their way to assist us whenever we asked. Even before we left Canada the staff e-mailed us to give directions and suggestions to make our trip a successful one.
Via Veneto House - a gem!! We would not hesitate to stay again. Highly recommend if you are looking for a town house style room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
viavenetohouse, Responsabile reception at Via Veneto House, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you for your positive opinions and have appreciated our care to make your stay as peaceful and pleasant as possible. We are happy to have met your expectations! Thank you very much, hope to see you again in the future! A big Ciao from Rome!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We had a great stay at the Via Veneto house (note the address (Marche 54) so you don't get it confused with others). You get three keys, one for the huge door outside into the building, one for getting into the hotel on the fourth floor (there is a little elevator you use to check in) and finally one for your room. The rooms are modest but I loved them, they were perfect for what we were looking for. Tidy bathroom, breakfast included, and great help from the young people who make this place gel. Ilaria and Massimiliano are helpful in telling you where to go and eat, its a bonus I'd say if you speak Italian especially throughout all of Rome. They made us feel great and helped us practice before studying abroad in Perugia. Small refrigerator to keep milk/water (its safe to drink from the tap/rubinetto so just have a bottle to refill, yogurt any other refrigerated snacks). The breakfast is at a cafe a few blocks down where you get a croissant (chocolate or sweet or regular) with a choice of tea caffe latte, cappuccino or something else (you just bring a little paper a long and the cafe gives it to you. Plenty of locals eating their breakfast there too. The price was great and we had a great stay. We walked from the train station (take the 8 Euro bus from the airport (ask about it) instead of the 15 Euro Leonardo Express) in maybe 15 minutes with all of our luggage (we travel light) and saw one or two sights on the way. Then we did about a 6 mile each way walk past the Colosseum to Trastevere and saw just about everything besides the Vatican which we left for another day. Can't recommend Rome and Via Veneto House enough!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
viavenetohouse, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Via Veneto House, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
We thank you very much for coming and have appreciated our structure. We are pleased to have been of help, in fact one of our specialties is to make guests feel at home!!! Thank you also for have talked of the breakfast because it is very pleasant to have it in a bar of the elegant Via Veneto, just a few steps away from us, and start happily the days of your Vacanze Romane!!!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

First, let me set the expectation. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable and reasonably priced room near one of the most upscale neighborhoods in Rome, this is one of those places. It's not fancy. It's not a five star. There's no room service. There are no servants. No telephone. No common area. No amazing views of the Vatican. There are clean rooms, a clean bathroom, an HD television, power outlets and small sitting area that doubles as a dining area for the included breakfast. At this time of year I priced The Westin at over 250 euros a night. Via Venetto priced at about 100 euros per night. Via Venetto is a place to save money to spend on other things like food and wine which are both abundant and expensive in Rome. When you arrive, you are greeted by a very nice woman. She shows you how to use the keys, operate the elevator and enter and exit the apartment suite. Via Venetto House is in a residential neighborhood building. That makes it feel even cooler; you are sleeping among people who live in the building and it gives this place an apartment feeling and a neighborhood vibe. This place is located close to subways, attractions, fine dining and shopping. It's easy to get to almost anywhere in Rome via subway. You can walk to the steps, Capuchin Crypt, Spanish Steps, Pantheon and easily subway to the rest. Overall, I found this place to be excellent as a huge value for travelers that don't have an expectation of a five star hotel for 100 euros. I will come back here again. Gratzie, Via Venetto House.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Elena was the best; extremely elegant and helpful. She waited for us to check in when our train was cancelled and we had to bus from Paris to Rome overnight! The room was a beauty; the location just off Via Veneto and a short walk to the Piazza Barberini metro no problem. A small frig in the room. The house is only half a block from the American Embassy. Harry's Bar around the corner. We had a nice room; same one the previous guest did not like. We liked it!! A walk across the street to the Borghese gardens if you want to do a picnic. And a very nice, honest trattoria around the corner to the northwest with great food, nice owners and good prices. Only problem; be careful with the taxi drivers. We got hit for 28 Euro from Termini and it should have been no more than 10. Too tired to fight after the train ride. Plus he tried for a 20 Euro tip by not providing correct change. Look for a meter, make them drop you at the door of 54 Marche or they are going to try to rip you off. Ciao.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

We were encouraged by other reviews on TA but sadly this was the first (and only) time we have been wrong footed. I write the following view to try and balance the perception and also in the hope no one has an experience like ours. I would also point out that we are not serial complainers and are genuinely quite easy to please. We have stayed in dirt cheap hostels across europe and had as much fun there as we did staying in some 4 star hotels.

We checked in at 9pm due to a late flight and a lot of traffic and were shown to our room by 'the girl' (I'm really sorry I didn't get her name) and left to it. First impressions were not great. The bed had clearly been folded out from the wall, it was like a camp bed and we constantly stubbed our toes on the protuding metal legs. They also prevented the cupboards from opening fully. The room was dark which we only found out the next day. My wife hardly slept such was the discomfort of the bed. I slept badly as well. It was hard and there was an awful noise of the when you moved in it. We did receive an extra pillow each the next day and this helped a bit. There are living quarters above and below the guesthouse and there were babies crying when we arrived. There was everyday noise throughout and every morning. We had to turn the fridge off at night to get to sleep as it was quite noisy on top of everything else.

The decor was unsightly. Above our bed 3 pictures of clowns (just paper) were tacked on to the wall. This was ugly and a little bit creepy. There was only a mirror in the bathroom. No kettle or mirror was provided despite repeated requests for the duration of the stay. Everything seemed to have been bought from ikea eg. Bath mats, cups, fridge, kitchen facilities.

The bathroom was extremely small. The shower space was triangular although the water and pressure were good. But you wouldn't want to be swinging any cats in there.

I telephoned the next day (there is nobody around after the morning time and we had left at an early hour for a tour) asking to be moved to a nicer room and if there was a more comfortable bed. I was told sorry, we are fully booked. Later that day I sent an email advising we wanted to check out as we were dissatisfied with the standard of the room (we couldn't risk another night without a good night sleep). At this stage I should say I have never had to complain or ask for another room or leave a place early. Again, we don't expect much and are not fussy people.

When I had the audacity to challenge the price I paid compared to the quality of the hotel they made a big deal that it is cheaper than hotels in this area. Some advice for the 1st time traveller - there are much much nicer and more central areas of Rome. We only chose this area because we were married at a nearby church. The other hotels nearby are very, very high end. If your budget is this type of accommodation (i.e B+B) you will not be going for beers/coffee/food anywhere in the immediate area. There was a lamboghini parked outside the closest hotel - this should give you an idea of what to expect. It is a good 20-25 minute to Piazza Navona, Pantheon and the other major sights. It is all uphill on the way back which is exhausting after a day's sightseeing. In the Via Veneto there is not much to see compared with the rest of Rome where you will generally spend the majority of your time.

Next morning I met Carlo who I think is the manager. He had read the email. I took him into the room and we spoke. I suppose best way of putting it is that we agreed to disagree (he had never had a complaint about the room). He was pleasant enough at the time and sorry the room was not satisfactory for us. I again told him we would be checking out and just needed him to confirm they wouldn't charge the extra 2 nites (I had give them a lot of notice and even agreed to stay another nite before leaving).

I returned later, he wasn't there and I asked the girl had she spoken to him and if she could confirm my refund so we could leave. She said there would be no refund and the boss had gone away for the weekend. She wouldn't give me his number. This girl was extremely rude, refusing to let me talk and talked over me constantly. Her manner was terrible, abrupt and unfriendly. When I asked her to listen to me and let me explain the problem she - wait for it - stormed off and locked herself in one of the other rooms! I actually couldn't believe it and would have laughed had I not been so annoyed. This is the level of customer service you will find here. They will not reply to your emails, they are curt on the phone, and they will refuse to speak to you face to face. God help you if you have a problem.

That morning we had breakfast. It wasn't great at all and had to be taken in the room as the cafe (where breakfast usually is) closes. We boiled the water for our tea/coffee on the stove. If I had wanted to go camping I would have stayed at home. The breakfast was some prepackaged mini croissants (awful), 2 bread rolls + parma ham.

In the morning time if you choose to lie on for a bit (i.e beyond 9am) you will eventually be awoken by the loud noisy girl on the phone. She was right outside our door and found it totally impossible to conduct a conversation at normal volume. This would probably only affect you if you are in one of 2 or three particular rooms but my God this girl had no consideration for the guests at all. Blabbering loudly on the phone and to anyone coming and going.

After all this we eventually checked out on the 4th of our planned 5 days and stayed somewhere else at our own expense. We were treated like dirt and the whole saga was beginning to ruin our holiday.

If you have already booked here my advice is to cancel. If you are planning to stay, don't.

Rome is amazing though so enjoy!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Nymes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

This B&B is more central, but it doesn't offer services. The breakfast is made from outside. The towels aren't clean. There isn't a checkroom then, when you leave the room to departure, the baggages bring with you.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Via Veneto House? Share your experiences!