“Pretentious and Unattentive; Decent Food; Great View” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ciampini Ristorante

Ciampini Ristorante
Piazza Trinita dei Monti, 00187 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)
06.6785678
Improve this listing
Ranked #724 of 8,266 restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
Dallas, Texas
“Pretentious and Unattentive; Decent Food; Great View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

It's in a perfect location just off the Spanish Steps on the Pincian Hill overlooking northern Campo Marzio with the same view as Joe Bradley's flat in Roman Holiday (really, no kidding, Via Margutta 51 is almost directly beneath it), and the food is pretty good - not amazing like Ad Hoc, but pretty good. It's also got kitsch appeal with the turtle pond. The knock I have is that the service was very pretentious, cold, and rigid, and not particularly attentive. It was our first meal in Rome, a lunch on a hot day after a long plane ride. I wanted some gnocchi, bread, water, and wine, and I got that, but after experiencing much warmer service at a host of other places in Rome over the rest of the trip, I have a baseline of good service that, looking back, this didn't meet in many respects. With that said, I'll probably go back to give it another chance. It's too good of a location, and it has too much potential to abandon after one, less than stellar service experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Parkland, Florida, United States
“Great meal great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Loved this place. Veal was amazing Val loved the Sea Bass. Great veiw. I found the staff very professional and knew how to stay out of the way of the experience. If your near the Spanish stairs make the strool up to this gem.

Elverum, Norway
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

A great place to eat in Rome! Just minutes away from the crowds at the Spanish steps, this is a peaceful and quiet restaurant. The Food was excellent, the service was good, and the atmosphere and wiew was great! They even have turtles in a pond in the middle of the restaurant ;) A good Choice!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Good food, good views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were staying near the Piazza di Spagna at the end of a trip to Italy, and ate here on the recommendation of a friend. It was good enough that we came back the next night. We appreciated the fact that the restaurant was peaceful despite being close to the activity of the Spanish Steps area. The food was well-prepared and presented, and the service was courteous without being instrusive. Although the restaurant served several traditional Roman dishes in addition to other items, and although naturally there were plenty of visitors dining there like us, it did not give the sense of a tourist trap at all. Good choice.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Rain soaked table? Apparently not a problem.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I came to Ciampini on our recent trip to Rome. I had actually planned this as a bit of a surprise dinner. I had read good reviews, great location, romantic, etc. I reserved and told them this was an anniversary dinner, so I would like a table with a nice view. We arrived and they led us to a great table, with in fact a wonderful view of the sun setting. After they brought our drinks and bread, it began to pour rain. Pour in fact, on our table. Our table was covered but it was blowing in. I understand that. Nature happens. Poor service should not. We were one of two tables present in that area at the time. Our table was soaked and we were soaked. All of our stuff got wet. Instead of helping us, the staff was frantically wiping off empty chairs and tables. My husband and I stood around for a few minutes, a little baffled. Eventually, WE decided to reseat ourselves. The waiter then goes over to our table, gets our drinks (which have been rained in) and our soaked bread basket and brings them to our new table. Really?!? Can you not bring us new drinks and bread? (We hadn't even touched them yet). The waiter and staff was beyond UNhelpful. At that point, our romantic meal was far from what I'd hoped and we wanted to leave. We decided to only order a primi each, which was the gnocchi. In taste, it was good but value and quantity it was awful. It had about 10 pieces. After all was said and done, we spent over 50 Euros for rained in house drinks, and 2 gnocchis. Will never ever step foot near this restaurant again and do not recommend it.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere