“Rain soaked table? Apparently not a problem.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ciampini Ristorante

Ciampini Ristorante
Piazza Trinita dei Monti, 00187 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)
06.6785678
Update restaurant details
Ranked #330 of 7,986 restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
Houston, Texas
“Rain soaked table? Apparently not a problem.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I came to Ciampini on our recent trip to Rome. I had actually planned this as a bit of a surprise dinner. I had read good reviews, great location, romantic, etc. I reserved and told them this was an anniversary dinner, so I would like a table with a nice view. We arrived and they led us to a great table, with in fact a wonderful view of the sun setting. After they brought our drinks and bread, it began to pour rain. Pour in fact, on our table. Our table was covered but it was blowing in. I understand that. Nature happens. Poor service should not. We were one of two tables present in that area at the time. Our table was soaked and we were soaked. All of our stuff got wet. Instead of helping us, the staff was frantically wiping off empty chairs and tables. My husband and I stood around for a few minutes, a little baffled. Eventually, WE decided to reseat ourselves. The waiter then goes over to our table, gets our drinks (which have been rained in) and our soaked bread basket and brings them to our new table. Really?!? Can you not bring us new drinks and bread? (We hadn't even touched them yet). The waiter and staff was beyond UNhelpful. At that point, our romantic meal was far from what I'd hoped and we wanted to leave. We decided to only order a primi each, which was the gnocchi. In taste, it was good but value and quantity it was awful. It had about 10 pieces. After all was said and done, we spent over 50 Euros for rained in house drinks, and 2 gnocchis. Will never ever step foot near this restaurant again and do not recommend it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, United Kingdom
“great food, but snobby waiters.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My friend and I decided to eat here for a late lunch a few days ago as it seemed to look really pleasant with a lovely ambience and good looking food - however this was mearly a veil over the restaurants clear high regard for itself that far over stepped the mark.
I am a typical blonde British gap year traveller and the friend I was going around Rome with that day is the same age as me and also happens to be a tattoo artist - fair to say she can look a little odd to strangers - but she is one of the most charming and lovely girls ever. we had decided as it was a lovely day we would splash out a little and go somewhere nicer than normal. however, as soon as we walked through the door to be seated we were ignored. it took a good ten minutes of us clearly standing wanting to be seated and waiters sauntering past us with their noses in the air before we got fed up and marched forward and asked for a table for two.
now I wasn't half expecting a couple of odd looks, we dont exactly look like your typical pair of friends, but hey ho, each to thier own. the waiters however seemed to think it was appsolutly horroble that they should have such riff raff in there beloved restaurant. we asked for a menu, and when asking for drinks we just asked for a jug of tap water. this it would seem, was not at all possible. considering there was a fountain 100m away where people were filling up water bottles with no problem I stuggled to see why they could not twist a tap and give us some water that would be otherwise used for washing vedgetables. but no, we had to pay. we ordered two starters for our mains, my friend some of the pasta, and i got a salad nisoise. pretty bog standard to be honest. i think my dog could have made better. we promptly ate our meals and left, not wanting to waste anymore of thier precious time.
the only possitive thing i can say about his place is that the turtles are cute.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Palo Alto, California
“Lovely setting but disappointing food and service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I was really looking forward to eating here after reading all the rave reviews, but this ended up being our least favorite meal in a week of eating lunches and dinners in Rome. It does have a pretty outside terrace, with a nice view and turtle pond, but that's about all I can say to recommend it. The waiter made a mistake and brought my husband the wrong entree, which led to a half hour wait for its replacement, so the rest of us had finished by the time he started his meal. It wasn't worth waiting for, as it turns out - three of us, including him, had ordered the suckling pig, but what arrived was a chunk of pork, totally dried out, with tough brittle skin that was impossible to chew. My pasta Cacio e Pepe contained tomatoes and bore no resemblance to the dish as served in other Roman restaurants. Skip this place and instead try Otello alla Concordia, if you want to dine in a garden Or Rei deigli Amici if you want warm ambiance and personable service near the Spanish Steps.

Visited June 2013
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Absolutely Terrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a great restaurant in a great location. The setting is beautiful, looking over Rome from near the top of the Spanish steps, and the food is outstanding. We had unbelievable ravioli and risotto to start, and we then shared the salted red snapper. The service was perfect. Please don't pass this one.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Coventry
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food, great service- waiter helped us choose the wine. Very accomodating even though we hadn't booked a table. Three course meal for the pair of us and a bottle of wine came to 100 euros, considering the standard of food and service i consider that extremely good value!!!