“Total Letdown.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Il Gabriello

Il Gabriello
Via Vittoria, 51, 00187 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)
Website
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
rome
“Total Letdown.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had wanted to organize a nice evening for my husband and I, and really wanted to go the center. We tend to avoid going out there since it's hard to find places to park and we've had not so good experiences with touristy places.
Well, I had my heart set on a romantic evening walking around the piazzas and then for a quiet dinner. Boy did I make the wrong choice! We did have a nice aperitivo near Pza di Spagna, but as soon as we walked into this place I knew I had made a mistake.
From the pictures it looked like it would be an intimate setting, but it actuality it was very loud due to the fact that people were packed in like sardines and it was full of groups of tourists. Perhaps I shouldn't say so, since I'm not Italian, but as soon as I heard every language BUT Italian, I knew this dinner wouldn't go as expected.
We were seated a very small table in the middle of the room, when I had specifically asked for a romantic table, which hardly space for our dinners and wine.
The service was exceptionally fast, which also took away from the lit bit of atmosphere this place had. Our waitress was brusque and disinterested.
The food was forgettable. Neither the selections or the quality were anything that was interesting or special. We had a meat and cheese appetizers, which was presented on a plate that was so big it almost kept falling off the table! Our fish dinners were dry.
I will say that the one positive note was the wine. They have a good selection and the one we choose was strong enough that we ended up having a half-way enjoyable night!
The final bill was a lot more than I think that experience was worth.
Sure, the location is great, very close to Pza di Spagna, but this place seemed like a tourist factory. Food that you would expect, rushed, impersonal service and too expensive.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Rome
“Amazing restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I never thought it was possible to enjoy a meal so much that I actually cried whilst eating it but this is exactly what happened at Ill Gabriello. To begin with its a gorgeous little restaurant where although the tables are quite close together you can still feel like you're the only ones there. The staff are fabulous, we were served by Francesca who after we had asked recommended the perfect combination of starters & main courses along with an incredible bottle of wine. Our main courses were literally to die for.. My seafood pasta was a dish I will talk about forever & my boyfriend who had the Roman classic dish of spaghetti, tomato & bacon looked like he had died & gone to heaven whilst devouring every mouthful! Then came dessert & Claudio the owner of the restaurant suggested I try the 'stuffed fruits ice cream'. Honestly, this dessert was amazing. Pieces of fruit literally made into ice cream & sorbet beautifully presented, think a clementine cut in half full of sorbet made from the same fruit & my favourite was a peanut ice cream ( see additional photos). We waited for the bill thinking 'what the hell, we don't care if its a huge amount we've just had the greatest meal of our lives' & when it arrived along with complimentary limoncello from Claudio it was €89.. for both of us. INCREDIBLE.
We are so impressed with everything, decor, ambience, staff, food, wine that despite having 3 more nights left in Rome we booked our last night before leaving back at the restaurant. I would recommend this place to all food lovers. It's truly wonderful..

(oh, and its also 2 mins away from the spanish steps)

Review by Firewalker & Rachel!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“Good food - friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We did some research using Tripadvisor, and decided to go for Il Gabriello. It turned out to be quite a good choice. Located not to far away from the Spanish Steps it has a great spot, and the dining area it self is really nice. The food was really nice, the wine list was exellent, and we even got some great advice for a bar with a fantastic range of beers to go to afterwards. In all, I can definitely recommend Il Gabriello for you.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Huntington Beach, California
“Perfect seafood restaurant by Piazza di Spagna”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Originally selected this restaurant on the basis of Rick Steves' pick, a great seafood menu - especially the raw appetizer - and the unbeatable location by the Spanish Steps, among a plethora of tourist establishments. Overall, a great find, but make sure you take your time!
We made advance reservations for a Friday night at 8 PM - don't even try to walk in especially on weekends. The place is very small, so be prepared to sit very close to the next table, but that is not a problem. The decor is a blend of ancient and contemporary, stone, brick, metal and glass, very appealing overall. Professional service with all languages spoken, everyone very kind and attentive. Service took its time, justified by the full place, a blend of locals and tourists.
On to the food: highly recommended the raw fish appetizer - scallops, 3 types of shrimp and prawns, 1 oyster, super fresh, and yes, completely raw and marinated in olive oil, a delight. Also recommended the tonnarelli with cacio e pepe with prawns, and the short pasta with artichoke sauce and octopus. Also, try the puntarelle alle alici when in season, really tasty. At the end of the dinner, the waiter offered an after dinner drink on the house, very classy overall.
By the time we left the restaurant, it was past 11 PM. A 3 hour dinner may be considered too long for some, but not so if you have the right company and enjoy the romance in Rome.
Overall, Il Gabriello is a must dine when visiting the eternal city.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Easton, Pennsylvania
“How romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

First make sure you make reservations since it is rather small and it gets very crowded. This is not the place to go if you are looking to go to grab a quick meal. Service is not rushed, this is fine dining for people looking to enjoy a meal with a bottle of vino. The pasta is ala dente and spicy. Seafood is fresh and tasty. The service is very friendly and they are very happy to explain anything on the menu. The whole place inspires romance and relaxation. I would not recommend this place for young children since the service is slow and the tables are close together and also the customers like to get dressed up to come here. Enjoy.

• Visited July 2012