“Great Clean and Hip Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

via Modena 5, 00184 Rome, Italy (Esquilino)   |
Ranked #54 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oakland, CA
“Great Clean and Hip Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I found SuiteDreams Hotel on Tripadvisor and was not disappointed with our three night stay in July 2011. We paid about 185 US (130 Euro) a night and found it to be a great value once you take into consideration the location, furnishings, cleanliness, and breakfast. It is not in the center of Ancient Rome but right next to (1 block away from) the Republica Metro station. We really only took the metro when we went to Vatican City, otherwise we enjoyed walking. It was about 30 minutes to the "main attractions." Had we more time, I would have enjoyed exploring the immediately surrounding area more.

The room was immaculate and the bathroom was incredibly nice, particularly for a hotel bathroom in an old building. The renovation of the SuiteDreams floor (I think the fourth floor of a building with other hotels on other floors) is lovely. The furnishings were modern and tasteful.

Breakfast buffet was very good: pastries, hard boiled eggs, meats and cheeses, toast, fruit (not very good fruit), yogurt, juices, and espresso drinks (make your own from a one-button machine).

The reception was nice, not incredible, but the people were friendly and would answer questions when asked and were always polite and helpful.

I loved the room (as you can likely tell) and it felt so good to slip into such a cool, clean room on quick breaks from the heat and crowds of Rome in July. The bed was comfortable though a bit hard (perfect according to my husband), the room was spacious, and they provide a mini fridge and even give you two complimentary water bottles each day. I would definitely recommend SuiteDreams Rome.

Room Tip: The reception is right outside (a few feet from) some room doors. Ask for a room farther from the re...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
suitedreamsRoma, Proprietario at SuiteDreams Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
grazie!! your report is very important and precious for us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Started badly, as I hadn’t printed my booking confirmation (from venere, followed up by an email from SuiteDreams itself), and the guy at reception didn’t seem very convinced that I was to be a guest. He didn’t seem to check my name, just started flicking through a folder of printed out emails, and asked me at one point if I was someone with a completely different surname. My mind was now entertaining the idea of having to find another hotel if this one was full, which is never a nice type of thought to have when you are hot and tired and just want to check-in. I printed my name and asked him please to look at it, but he didn’t seem very interested and barely glanced so I wasn't sure he'd really read it – he just wouldn’t engage - it was as though if he made eye contact or acknowledged anything I said, it might create some kind of moral contract and he’d have to accept that I indeed just might have booked a room.

Anyway, after a rather tense wait of several minutes, flicking through his folder, he found the relevant email. Breakfast, he explained, would be 15 Euros because I’d not booked through their website (I’d just clicked on “book” in tripadvisor and it had taken me to venere.com). After I explained that their email of six weeks earlier had said 10 Euros, he said they would honour that, but they had needed to raise their prices since then. At this point he became noticeably more helpful in his attitude, I think because he’d now accepted that I was indeed a guest and not just some stranger who’d wandered in off the street. He showed me the room (how many hotels do that?) and explained the main features, including showing me how to use the air conditioning, and even showed me how to use the tv remote control – very attentive and helpful. He encouraged me to just ask if I had any requests at all.

The room, described as the “White Room” was sombre, I’d call it the “Grey Room” personally. There is no decoration at all, not even a small modern picture, which I suppose is nice if you like ultra-minimalism but I found it a bit lacking in personality and finish. I would encourage them to put a painting or print above the tv. Huge heavy net curtains provide privacy from the apartments and offices across the road, but also block daylight out, which meant the room felt permanently gloomy. But in all other respects it is a splendid room, extremely clean, well furnished, with a nice highly polished wood-block floor. Air conditioning was highly efficient, easy to use, with a useful quiet setting for night. The tv had clear menus and good reception, including BBC world service, which I like. Bed was very firm, just as I like it, and I had a very good nights sleep (which is ultimately what you want from a hotel!). Window seems to keep the noise out (it's on a quiet road anyway) and, unusually for a hotel with air conditioning, you can open the window, which is a nice feature.

Breakfast was okay but a bit disappointing. I think that is one area where I hope some constructive criticism may help. Coffee is self-served by a nespresso machine, which to be honest I find a bit fiddly and annoying. I’d prefer my coffee to be made for me and served in a cup or jug, or a machine that just makes black filter coffee (or Americano, as Europeans call it). Also, there were no bread rolls, only some rather mean looking bits of sliced bread for the toaster (which, as is the way with those machines, doesn’t really toast, it barely browns it even after two “go’s” through the machine). So, as a vegetarian, I’d have quite liked some cheese, but would have wanted a bread roll to put it on. I saw meat eaters with piles of meat on their plates, and wondered if any of them might also have liked a bread roll to go with it? Yogurt wasn't very nice. Anyway, I think those are things they can work on. Overall I suppose the breakfast is fair value because there was plenty of food and a good range.

No smoke detector that I could see in my room, so not sure what the fire detection systems are. The building is shared with other users, including another hotel, so hopefully there are always people around at night who can detect smoke. The reception is constantly staffed apparently. Two small bottles of free water a day (in the fridge, perfect for if you arrive on a hot day) and minibar prices are reasonable.

Check-out was swift and easy, the guy had marked my breakfast as 10 instead of 15 Euros, which I appreciated, as I’d suspected I’d have to explain it all again – I agree with other reviewers that the staff, all English speaking, are all good, and go out of their way to look after you.

As others have pointed out, the location is excellent, and there are shops nearby where you can buy more water and things.

Despite the booking mix-up and rather tense first few minutes there (first impressions....) I still think this place deserved five rather than four starts, and I'd certainly consider staying again on my next trip to Rome.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Corning, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Our stay at SuiteDreams was wonderful. From the moment we got there PierFrancesco and his staff made us feel welcome and like we were staying with family. We were greeted promptly and whenever we had a question it was answered quickly. Dinner recommendations were spot on and were easy to find. The room was huge and the extra bed for our daughter was very comfy and large. The breakfast which was provided for free if you booked online was very tasty and offered fresh fruit, meats, cerals and pastries. It was a quick ride from the train station for 20 Euros which was interesting because we took several other cabs from all over the city and it was no more than 8 Euros. When we go back to Rome we will stay here again. This is a modern european hotel with perfect amenities which makes it a must stay in my mind.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed at Suite Dreams for 3 nights and found it to be more than we had expected. The staff was more than helpful. Upon arrival Pierre-Francesco greeted us and advised us what may be interesting to us and how to get there. He gave us a map indicating routes to and from the hotel. He also gave us his card to call him in case we have problems on our way. This man is a reading encyclopedia with answers to all our questions. The rooms were clean and breakfast was good. The staff went out of its way to be helpful to us. It is centrally located and you can walk to the hotel from Termini Station, luggange and all. Some of the attractions are within walking distance, if not bus 64 for 1 euro takes you to many of the sites. I definitely would return to this hotel. Bravo to Pierre-Franceso and his staff for making our stay more than welcome.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
THANK YOU! very kind words!!!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

So clean so much room best service we received from all hotels!!! Free wifi, Train station 2 min walk but can walk to all attraction within 20 min, would recomend to honeymooners couples very nice and funky!!

• Stayed June 2011
Funky!! wow!! THANK YOU! very kind words!!!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed in Rome a year ago at a different hotel and the room was so tiny you had to go outside to change your mind. Suitedreams was such a pleasant surprise, the room was very spacious and very modern and stylish with a beautiful bathroom.

Responses to our emails prior to arrival to organize an airport transfer was very prompt and courteous and the service upon our late night check-in was great.

• Stayed July 2011
THANK YOU! very kool report !! we appreciate that very much!!
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

What a great place! We had made reservations somewhere a little out of town but decided to move closer in. So glad we did - the staff was fabulous (from their initial e-mail response to our request for a room to a follow-up to our thank you e-mail after the trip.) Pierfrancesco in particular was gracious, helpful, and kind. The 24 hour staffed desk is great, the rooms were clean and modern, internet access was easy, and the breakfast buffet each morning was full of good choices. The staff was responsive to all our questions and had lots of suggestions for dining and sights. Thank you, thank you. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Not all rooms are suites but we did get the suite - with the jacuzzi - at the end of the hall. Perf...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
grazie!!! you are always welcome here at Suitedreams!!

Been to SuiteDreams Hotel? Share your experiences!