“Rooms look big in photos, in reality the rooms are tiny.” 3 of 5 stars

Domus Borgognona
Domus Borgognona
Via Borgognona, 12 | IV piano interno 11, 00187 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #981 of 2,676 Rome B&B and Inns
“Rooms look big in photos, in reality the rooms are tiny.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011 via mobile

The rooms are closet tiny. The hotel is a half a block from the Spanish Steps in the 4th floor of a residential building. The staff is nice. The rooms are clean but extremely tiny. Im not big seriously tiny rooms.

• Stayed May 2011

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

We stayed at the Domus for four nights in early June. Overall the B&B was ok. We had a couple of unfortunate accidents while we were there but it was ok. Beware, do not allow three people and two suitcases in the elevator. Bruno told us it would be fine and we got stuck, my mother and Bruno had to pry the doors open and we all had to crawl out of the elevator because we were stuck mid floor. We walked up the remainder of the three flights and Bruno carried our bags up. I looked at my reservation and I was pretty sure I had booked the Blue room but we were in the Green room, when I asked the woman the next day she told us they were the same rooms and the Blue room was booked. She wasn't very friendly. We were also asked to pay for our room on the third morning of being there, we were told this was becuase she wouldn't be there the following day. Not a big issue but she was never really "nice" about anything....I can't say enough good things about Bruno, he is the selling feature of this B&B, it's certainly not the other woman that was there (when anyone was there). We lost power for about 3 hours during our stay but couldn't find anyone to talk to about it. In hindsight I would have stayed somewhere where there was a main contact person IN the hotel as opposed to just being able to phone someone. The breakfast delivered each morning was good, although I'm not much on sweets. We also ordered the "salty" plate, which consisted of toast and cheese....The shower handle and door handle to the bathroom both fell off while we were there. I also asked the woman at check out if there would be any compenstation/discount for having to crawl out of the elevator shaft, the power going out, the broken handles etc and she said no, but she could offer us a free soda.....Had that happened in the states, we would have been moved immediately and we would have been comp'ed at least one night. Also, when we paid for the room (the third night) she told us to tell our friends about the great experiences we had and I smiled at her. She also said next time don't book online, call and they can offer us a better rate. I thought to myself, if you could offer us a better rate next time why not compensate for the issues we had on this stay. The location of the Domus is what should draw you here...you can't beat it. However the B&B itself reminded us of an old French woman, beautiful from a distance but upon further inspection...not so great. It's a toss up whether I'd recommend it to anyone but we probably wouldn't stay here again unless the rate was really good. We paid 200 EURO a night and really didn't feel it was worth the price.

Room Tip: Call to make your reservation
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

We had a wonderful 3 nights at Domus Borgognona. It was exactly as the website described. The staff were very helpful, sitting us down with a cold drink and going over a map of the city, explaining the metro system and the easiest ways to find your way around Rome. Even though the manager Bruno was not there to welcome us we were given his personal mobile number to contact him at any time if we needed.
Our room (gold) was bright, airy and quiet (we slept with the window open) It is in an ideal location. We walked to everywhere, The Colosseum, The Vatican etc. I would highly recommend staying at Domus Borgognona.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

My husband and I traveled with 2 other couples to Italy in May 2010. We were fortunate enough to stay at Domus Borgognona - it was truly an ideal location! We arrived at FCO and Bruno, the owner, was kind enough to secure a private car and driver who met us at the baggage claim area. The driver even had our flight information, so he was able to track flight delays and knew exactly when we landed. We never felt lost or unsure of what we needed to do next-much better for us than trying to get a taxi or figuring out the metro system within the first few minutes of landing. The price was very reasonable (about equal to taking a taxi).

The Domus is located 1 block from the Spanish Steps in a great shopping district. It's also within 1.5 blocks from the Metro that will take you to nearly anywhere you need to go for sightseeing, etc. It is 1 block from the American Express office where we purchased our Eurostar tickets and used the ATM. Everything was within walking distance including a small grocery store, amazing gelato by the Trevi fountain, delicious restaurants, great places to grab a drink and people watch and much more. The Domus itself is on the fourth floor of a residential building but it does have a small elevator that works perfectly. It gives you the feeling of actually "living" there. The rooms are well appointed, a very comfortable size and each had a large window. Our breakfast was delicious and served promptly by Larry who attended to us each day. We truly enjoyed each day and were very appreciative of the restaurant and sightseeing tips that Bruno and his staff offered us.

We would definitely stay there again and look forward to visiting Rome and Domus Borgognona again soon (maybe next year)! Bruno, thank you for helping us have a perfect and unforgettable stay during our first visit to Italy!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

I had been traveling for awhile and wanted to go to the post office to send some items back home. Bruno walked me to the post office and helped prepare my box to mail. I really enjoyed our conversation during this time. He also let me charge my lap-top during the evenings. His talk about Rome and the city map given to me was excellent. The Spanish Steps are just several steps away. The Metro is a block way. I sat on the Spanish Steps after midnight a couple times and always felt safe. Police seemed to be always be around so this area is very safe for a family with kids or a solo traveler.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Mn,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

My daughter and I had a wonderful stay , the staff was very welcoming and graciuos, Bruno took the time to map best sightseeing route for our 2 days stay which we followed and glad we did so. The morning coffee and pastry delivered to the room was delicious.
I will stay there again for sure.

• Stayed December 2009
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

Perfect location...across from the Spanish Steps. We were able to walk everywhere. our host, Bruno Piperno mapped out everywhere we wanted to go...and his directions and tips were exactly right. He even arranged transport to and from the hotel . Effortless. There are 4 rooms, and they are all very pretty. Clean, and breakfast was served in our rooms every morning at the time we requested. The rooms are on the small side, but well appointed. The area is great for shopping (especially if your budget is endless). I'm sure there were less expensive places in Rome, but Domus Borgognona is a good value, especially given the location.

• Stayed November 2009

Been to Domus Borgognona? Share your experiences!