“a Roman experience not to miss” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Osteria da Meo Patacca

Osteria da Meo Patacca
Piazza dei Mercanti 30, Rome, Italy (Trastevere)
06-581-6198
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,978 of 8,259 restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: European, Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Trastevere
“a Roman experience not to miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

A Roman friend took me and my husband to this vivid restaurant in Rome and made us a really nice surprise. The traditional Roman food, the band singing Italian folk songs and the warm and lively atmosphere makes it a very interesting experience, a return to Rome as it was some centuries ago. We had one of our best meals there. The straccetti con rughetta and the torta gelato e gelato are absolutely insanely delicious. My husband had bucatini all'Amatriciana and porchettini umbri ar girarrosto con patate, which were also very good. Even if it's noisy and crowded and you could wait for the meal a little longer than in other restaurants, I believe it worths. We would definitely recommend it for one unforgettable experience in Rome.

52% Recommend
  • Polish first
Fargo, North Dakota
“Really disappointed in every aspect!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I don't know where to start, the service was very bad very long wait for the food almost 45 minutes to even get the salad.
And when the food arrived my steak was raw blood could be squeezed out of it see picture.
The pasta was very dull to taste.
Restaurant was too busy to accommodate clients.
Playing music for the clients made the place extremely loud we could not hear each other talking.
I'm not sure what Romans like about this place but I would never come back here again.

Tucson, Arizona
“Food needs work, otherwise worth a visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am not sure what all the fuss is about as far as the food is concerned. I think the place is interesting and the entertainment was good, but the food really needs to be better. The bruschetta was good, the pasta was undercooked ( I don't mean al dente, I mean undercooked) and the roast pork was extremely tough. Others at our table had the chicken ("It's okay), the saltimbocca, (overcooked) and others who had the roast pork said it was tough. I did not have the dessert. The wine was good, a nice house red served in carafes. A lot of interesting things on the wall to look at and the place is very historic. My husband did not drink wine but wanted to order a drink from the bar, no credit cards, cash only. I thought that was a bit unusual.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Orange County
“Very touristy but fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

There didn't appear to be a single Italian in the building (x the staff) but it was a fun meal. Service was the most somber of all the restaurants we visited which was too bad. Food was ok, but the liveliness of the place and the band made it fun.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Second visit and will be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was my second visit to da Meo Patacca. The first time I was there was in 2000 and I really loved the food and the atmosphere. Unfortunately I did not get the chance to return until this year. Nothing has changed in these 13 years and I was really pleased to be back. 4 people in my group were in Rome for the first time and wanted to try some local specialties, away from crowded tourist areas, so I suggested this place. I booked a later dinner for 9:30, but because of various events in the city we got stuck in the traffic for quite a while. I called the restaurant to let them know we were running late and they assured me the table will be waiting for us. We only had to wait few minutes for the table to be set and our server showed up right away to take the orders. We got our food and drinks fairly quickly, given that the place was completely packed and people kept coming in till after 11 pm. We ordered several different appetizers to share, mains and desserts and everything was very tasty and fresh. We were among the last tables to leave for the night and we asked one of the staff to call the cab. Due to a very busy night in the city the cab service was very slow. He made few follow up calls and offered us drinks while waiting. He stayed outside with us to ensure we get picked up.
Everyone was pleased with the hospitality.
I am looking forward the next trip to Rome and another dinner or two at da Meo Patacca.

• Visited May 2013