“Offputting Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Diomede 6, 80045 Pompeii, Italy   |
London, UK
“Offputting Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I read Helens_on_Tour's review with much agreement and support her 'Approach with caution' warning wholeheartedly.

We booked a private ensuite room for a romantic vacation for 9 July through Venere. Due to some circumstances we had to shift our reservation back by a day to 10 July, and I wrote the owner a month in advance asking if that would be a problem, and offered to cancel and rebook the reservation on Venere. He assured us that everything will be okay, dismissed my concerns and proceeded to tout his hostel's restaurant options.

We arrived at the hostel on 10 July and was ushered to a dormitory for 3 people with no bathroom. When we tried to say that we had booked a private ensuite, the owner dismissed us and insisted that this was the room we booked. Good thing we printed out our reservation email from Venere! Faced with printed proof, he disappeared into another room for a long time, before coming back and telling us that it was our fault because we had moved the reservation back a day, and he was doing us a favor by giving us a room. He even went as far as to tell us we are making a fuss about nothing since he was kind enough not to put another person in the triple with us! We were offput but decided not to argue since all we wanted was a romantic and relaxed vacation. So we asked for two of the single beds to be joined together - if you can believe it, the owner said 'no' and left the room. A while later he came back and said, 'fine, we can join the beds' - and proceeded to make a creepy joke about how he should be sleeping on the third bed with us in the same room.

He also showed us the shared bathroom, which he claimed no one else will be using so it would 'almost be like ensuite private'. In actuality, everyone from the hotel staff to guests in other rooms stopping by on their way to the pool used the bathrooms. To make matters worse, people tried to come into the unlocked bathroom all the time while I was on the toilet or changing.

Room dissatisfaction aside, I would have to say the proximity of the location to the train station was quite misleading. From the Pompeii Scavi train station, the hostel is good 20 min trek uphill with luggage, right to the other side of the train tracks. Oh yes, the train tracks - you're right next to the train tracks, so you get to time the Naples-bound trains every time they approach and leave the station.

To set things in context, I would say this could be a very nice place indeed. The pool was a huge plus, even though it seemed a little dirty when we got in, we saw the owner cleaning the pool the next morning so it would appear that the pool gets some cleaning on a semi-regular basis. It was definitely amazing to come in and have a dip in the pool after a hot day at the ruins or up Vesuvius, and the owners were nice enough to let us have a dip in the pool and shower after checking out and leaving luggage with them.

It was also very nice that they serve meals inhouse - this was less of a restaurant than the owners cooking up a plate of pasta for you, but it was a great set up because they serve meals by the pool inside a nice little area, which was very relaxing and lovely. The pool area is right behind the bedrooms, so it was very convenient to pop in and dry off after the pool, come back out to eat and chill by the moonlight by the pool. Be aware though - there isn't a menu, so the owners just cook whatever they feel like and serve you. For example, even though I wanted the seafood pasta that the owner said they do, they ended up just serving two plates of pasta with cold meatballs to our table. When we inquired, they just said 'it's pasta' and when we asked for the meatballs to be heated up, they said 'this is the way we eat it.' To be fair though, the pasta was tasty once you get past the cold meatball and 'I wonder what this is' part.

All in, I would say that this is a nice property if not for the general feeling that I had somehow been cheated of what I booked and paid for and was expecting. In truth, this is a cheap room, the meals were quite cheap (do try the large appetizer the owner touts, it is indeed large and quite delicious), and the owners were accommodating (if a little creepy - I was not excited about how he kept putting his hands on my girlfriend, touching her shoulders, back of her head, while talking about sharing the triple room with us; nor was I psyched to see him in his underwear while cleaning the pool). I do wish he had given us a discount on the price of the room after he promised he would upon seeing our disappointed faces when we checked in. I wish the property was as close to the train station as advertised. I also wish the AC worked - the AC apparently goes off when you turn off the lights - which seems like a great energy-saving device for when guests leave the room, BUT NOT WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO SLEEP AT NIGHT. We had quite an uncomfortable night trying to squeeze in one tiny single bed, while the AC kept going off so much so that we slept for half the night with the lights on so the AC would keep going. Also - someone sleeps on the couch at check-in at night, so we got a huge fright while going to the bathroom at night and encountering the mystery sleeper.

I can't say this is a terrible property - the pool was very nice, the place is cheap, the owners accommodating. I do feel like they don't really care very much about YOU - what you booked, what you want, what you expected. And I didn't enjoy the whole 'we're doing you a favor, just take the room' attitude. I did make a change to the reservation, but I wrote a month in advance and the least the owner could do in reply was to tell me the room I booked was no longer available, he will shift me somewhere else - and let me decide if I wanted to keep the reservation. Instead, he tried to keep the booking, let me believe I was coming to a private ensuite bedroom, and then gave me terrible attitude when we barely even kicked up a fuss.

FYI - there is a beautiful property half the distance to Easy Bed (at the start of the hill) - called Villa dei Misteri Motel, which seems to have a larger and nicer pool than Easy Bed, which I wished I had booked every time I passed it to go to Easy Bed. Try that one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bath, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Just around the corner from both the train station and the entrance to the ruins, Easy Bed is in a perfect location for a visit to Pompeii. And, after a hot dusty day on your feet at the ruins, the pool was a great way to cool off and relax. The hosts are incredibly welcoming. The hostel offers a 2 course dinner for 10 euros that is worth the money. Breakfast is above and beyond the normal toast and coffee. My only real issue was the lack of a/c during the day - it was only on at night which made the rooms a bit stuffy the rest of the day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel generally seems to be a lovely place, where people have a very positive experience and it is these glowing reviews which influenced my descision to book it.

I am on the whole very laid back and chilled out and not phased by much. However, what promised to be a blissful haven in the sun, after the heat of the day touring the heritage sites, was a real let down.

We had booked the Deluxe Double Pool view room for two nights, so we could have some relaxation away from the hectic crowds of Pompei, however, not only were we transfered away from the poolside, we were moved by the owner to another building, in another location!

This location was further away by about 15 minutes from where we wanted to be. We were shown a walking route to the new property, by the owner (there may have been other routes- but we did not have time to discover them) which consisted of a sizeable stretch of road without pavements and with sharp bends and therefore some very aggressive drivers of oncoming traffic shouting at us! Whilst the Hotel owner said we were welcome to walk back to Easy Bed Pompeii for use of the pool, this busy main road was not somewhere I would feel safe walking about in my swimming costume, or was it convenient for a quick dip.

The room we were given was also below ground level and therefore without any view - this would not have bothered me atall if I had not been promised a view on the original booking with detailed photographs!

In praise of this new room / accomodation it was clean and pleasant and on a quiet road and had a nice lady running it who was kind and helpful.

Easy Bed Pompeii was an attractive place, clean and secure, with a pretty outside area and good vibrant atmosphere but it seems if your booking is not worth their while - they will move you to other premises you have not chosen - and still expect you to pay.

In fairness I was given a refund for the part meal we had, which we gave up on because we were too tired to eat. But not off of the accomodation.

The receptionist/ joint owner of Easy Bed Pompei was also very well informed about the area and kindly let us leave our bags with her, offered cool drinks etc. But this kindness did not make up for essentially having to live with the promise of a booking that was broken, and the stress and dissapointment this caused.

It is probably a lovely place to stay and was perhaps a mistake................................................... or it was a business man trying to priviledge longer bookings over shorter bookings and taking on so much business that less valued customers were dishonestly pushed to the side. Approach with caution!

As the accomodation was booked / arranged by Easy Bed Pompeii my ratings will be an exact reflection of the time I had.

Room Tip: If you do try this for yourself, I would email them repeatedly to check that they will honour your o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Easy Bed Hostel Pompei, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
This couple did not sleep in our place, but in an other Guest House around the corner, we had no room for them so we gave them a nice room in an other guest house and they agree with us... if you read the review is clear that they did not sleep in Easy Bed Pompei Hostel, so you have to cancel this review, please...
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We arrived here after a bad experience in Naples and it was just what we needed... The owner was so friendly and welcoming and we felt at home instantly. Such lovely clean rooms and a nice outdoor area with the pool to relax by after a big day looking around the ancient ruins of Pompeii. Yummy breakfast in the morning and the best dinner at night! We loved it here and wished we could have stayed longer. Highly recommend staying here :-)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Esbjerg, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We spent 2 excellent good days in Villa Franca – so nice and beautiful and with an exceptional good service. It is a little family run place where everybody is doing their best to make the stay comfortable for their guests. The food is very good and we enjoyed staying there. We can recommend the place. Clean and decent both in and outdoors. Close to Pompeii and the Pompeii railway station with trains all day long to Naples and Sorrento.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Penrith, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

A very friendly, family-run place. The owner was very keen to help out. Excellent quality, home-cooked, traditional Italian food, reasonably priced and cooked to your convenience. Clean pool of a decent size and depth. Close to the ruins and to Pompei Scavi station. Great value: highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Southport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Lovely little hostel in walking distance of the sights.
Food excellent. Very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Easy Bed Hostel Pompei? Share your experiences!