“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Ancient ruins, Historic sites, Sights & Landmarks
Activities: Group tours/walking tour, Dining
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Home of the world's most famous volcanic disaster when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D., Pompeii is now a significant archeological site that provides an amazing glimpse into the daily life of an average Roman town over two thousand years ago.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
18 attraction reviews
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The size of the ruins were beyond my expectations. This is a big dig! Lots of walking over uneven terrain and cobblestones. I was impressed with the extent of ruins uncovered and the great condition of some of them. Well worth the trip.

• Greek first
guisborough
23 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect but from the moment I saw it I was mesmerised by this place. Its vast expanse alone was amazing to see but once I started walking around and exploring, I was captivated by the sheer splendour of this ancient town.

We didn't hire audio guides or an actual guide but preferrred to use a map and find our own way around. We spent three and half hours there but didn't see all of it as it is so vast.

I have spoken to people who were not impressed so it really is a must and you can make your own mind up!

Visited September 2013
North Vancouver, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Very Enjoyable visit to Pompeii ruins”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Travelling by train from Rome to Salerno, my daughter and I took a slight detour to visit the ruins. We entered at the quieter Piazza Anfiteatro entrance, as the train/station we needed to take to Salerno was closer to this entrance. We had a very pleasant 10 minute walk through Pompeii town and arrived in the early afternoon to find no tourists! Toilets at entrance were not that clean and were out of toilet paper. We checked our backpacks (no charge) changed into cooler clothes and entered the ruins. It was a fairly hot day and the shady trees at this entrance were nice. You can NOT purchase an audio guide at this quieter entrance (which we knew before) so we used our guide books to help us through the ruins. If you chose to enter here, or don't want to buy an audio guide (from the main entrance) you MUST take a guide book. There is very little information at the site. I think this could be improved. I also did not see any officials wandering through the site. I think having a few guide officials dispersed around the ruins would also be very useful as it is very easy to get lost on the site. The map that they give you is not that easy to use.

There is a lot to in see and learn in these ruins. You could spend hours, if not days exploring this site. We knew we were not going to see everything, so we made a plan to see as much as we could in three hours and be happy with that. We fairly easily figured out where we were and we just "immersed" our selves in the ruins and tried to imagine what it might have been like to live here. We thoroughly enjoyed everything we saw and would love to return. We took a packed lunch in with us and found a quiet shady-corner to eat and have a cool drink.

Suggestions: set a time limit, do some reading about the site before you enter and take a good guide book. Be prepared that a lot of the houses are closed for work and that the "real" murals and statues are at the Museum in Naples and are replaced (or not) with reproductions. We didn't have time to go to the Naples Museum, but I think if you really want a complete visit visit both the ruins and the museum.

Billings, Montana
17 attraction reviews
“Pompeii”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

To walk these ruins are breath taking -- to understand the tragedy that occurred here ... seeing the people mumified in the lava it was humbling at best. The treasures and mosiacs that have been excavated are amazing. My only disappointment is that we did not have nearly enough time to explore. We took at tour, which certainly provided insight, however if/when I do it again I'll be more inclined to go investigating on my own.

Visited September 2013
Tucson, Arizona
20 attraction reviews
“Still a piece of history that should be seen! Allow hours to see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've read the reviews saying this historical spot on earth is being destroyed by being so commercialized. Isn't everything?! Yes, when you pull into the area of the entrance, there are hawkers everywhere, along with the tour guides (good & bad), restaurants that over charge, and mobs of people from the cruise ships in port. And yes, there is even a fee for using the main restroom. Get over it!

We were off one of the cruise ships, however, we had hired a tour guide through the a private shore excursions company (not the ships excursions), and we had a delightful, informative, eye opening experience.

Pompeii is something that most people have heard about sometime in their life and if given the chance, should not miss seeing it. This village was actually a pretty large town for it's time, with thousands of people living fairly sophisticated lives for 79AD. The main street of the town is over 3-1/2 miles long, and there were shops, restaurants, amphitheaters, even brothels alongside and amongst the homes. They had community showers and spas, both men's and women's and the technology used in the construction of the spas and showers alone show how sophisticated the people of Pompeii were. The roads were designed to be arched for the runoff of the heavy rains with elevated stepping stones so you could cross the street without getting your feet wet. They even put reflective stones into the roads to guide you at night by the moon's glow. Yes, slavery abounded, but things thrived...what the heck....they even had a beautiful view of Mount Vesuvius...and two minutes warning!!!

Yes, I'm sure things have changed as to the tourism, the upkeep, and the atmosphere of this treasure, but when I look back at anything I knew in the seventies & eighties, and nothing has remained the same. Get over it. This is a must-see if you are traveling anywhere Naples, Italy!!!