“Don't be afraid of what you've heard” 5 of 5 stars

Naples
Directions
Naples, Italy
Bangkok, Thailand
“Don't be afraid of what you've heard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

I've read too many stories about Naples before I was there that I have be careful while I'm there. I was very paranoia when I arrived there at the first day that people on the street kept staring at me. But the next day, I've found that, in fact, local people are very friendly, they smiled at me all the time especially middle age people. I often asked for the direction & the bus info from many people & they were really happy to help me even we couldn't communicate in the same language. Some of them just walked with me to the place that I wanted to go. We had the best & very cheap pizza there, the pizza man was very friendly too.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Mad crazy Italians”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

THE +s are: fantastic for shopping in January. Great designs for a fraction of a cost of even primark prices!
Obviously a great base to get to Pompei (£3.00 train) and (£11 to get in) which is out of this world and capri is £16 on the ferry. Sorrento also being only a little further from pomei.
The negatives are they drive like idiots and will run you over at any opportunity even if you are on a pedestrian crossing!!
The place has so much litter that if you were to set light to one piece the whole of naples would go up....no-one speaks english and the ITALIANS ARE REALLY IGNORANT they walk through you rather than around you.
It is constantly busy but the street markets and traders have got great deals if you haggle. The bags were good value.
The weather this time of year is great...really warm and may rain but its still warm.
The tourist areas arent so busy such as pompei so its a good time to see it and the shops in sorrento are open til late...we were still shopping at 11p.m
Capri is very...very expensive a coffee and cake being £10

Toronto, Canada
“Cruise Stop Day-Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

Naples (Napoli) was one of the cruise stops that I would highly recommend hiring a driver to fully explore and appreciate the region. We booked a van ahead of time through Sorrento Limo. Our driver lived in Sorrento and was knowledgeable of the area. His recommended route took us through Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, and Pompeii. We stopped for lunch at a restaurant in Ravello which had a magnificent view of the Mediterranean.

Moncton
“Dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

My wife and I recently visited Naples. We were stunned to observe how the streets, sidewalks, ditches, etc. are not cleaned. And, in some areas the smell is omnipresent and suffocating. Indeed, we noticed garbabe all arounds us. In addition, the pedestrian were not observing crosswalk directives and the car drivers were not respecting circulation lights...we were therefore witness to several near miss accidents. This experience was sufficient to convince us to no longer visit this city....

Glasgow
“Nightmare Naples”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Visiting Naples is like going on holiday to your local landfill site - no joke. I've never seen so much rubbish in my life - the people seem to take no pride in their surroundings.
If you decide to take your life in your hands I'd recommend going to the surrounding islands - Capri especially and Sorrento is also really nice. Much more relaxing than the stress of just trying to walk around in Naples which simple as it may sound is remarkably difficult between trying to dodge the mopeds which mount the pavements, watching your belongings and trying no t to make eye contact with the various vagrants hanging about on most streets.
Possibly one of the most stressful holidays I've ever had!!!
The weather was fab though!

Been to Naples? Share your experiences!