“Amazing restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kukai Nibu

Kukai Nibu
Via Carlo de Cesare 52 (Angolo Piazza Trieste e Trento) | San Ferdinando, 80132 Naples, Italy
+39 081 425888
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Amazing restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Since we moved in Honolulu, we learned what was real sushi cuisine and we were sure that we would not being able to find the same once we got back in Naples. We believed that Morimoto was the best sushi place we ever had. Surprisingly, in Naples, we tried the japanese restaurant Kukai and we had to change our ideas. We finally found the same freshness and raffinate cusine we had in Hawaii and, we can say that the atmosphere of the restaurant and the kindness of the owners Massimiliano and Monica make this place a long better then the famous Morimoto in waikiki.If you really wanna try the best sushi in Naples,if you wanna feel relax and if you want to learn about the japanese culture, you need to go there.
The prices are good, the place is cool.
If you are looking for a special night, you need to go there.

Vittoria and Valeria cherie

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
“What a nice surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I'm just in love with japanese food. Wherever I go I try Japanese restaurants. This is by far the best one I found in Italy. Great location, great service, and great food!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“I should know better...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The sashimi was okay, as were some of the other dishes. But the rice was unpalatable. Not sure how it could be both sticky and undercooked at the same time. But I should know better than to eat cuisine other than Italian in Naples. ;-)

Charlotte, NC
“Nearly Authentic Japanese in Naples”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Happended past this place and decided to have sushi, Decor is modern and very differnt from most places you will eat in Naples. Food was good and compared favorably to meals I had in Japan. It is not quite as good as Japan but being in Italy, I give it excellent. Bathrooms are down stairs as is a whole additional section. Some cool and racy artwork on the walls downstairs. I will probably be back to try the Ramen or Udon noodles.

Service was great, staff spoke very good english.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Centreville, Virginia
“Best meal in Italy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I really thought my best meal in Italy would be italian food, but I was wrong. After 8 days of italian food, I needed a little something different. So after searching through tripadvisor, we landed on Kukai Nibu.

I'm Korean and I've had my share of amazing Korean, Chinese, Thai, Viet, asian fusion, and Japanese foods. Everything asian that you can think of.. I'm almost positive I've tried and eat regularly. This place.... had the most amazing Sake Teriyaki. They had great sushi don't get me wrong but I have never had teriyaki like this before. I assume they put some sake into the sauce. This dish was a Salmon teriyaki (listed as Sake Teriyaki). The menu only offered Salmon but I'm sure you can probably get it on Chicken and Shrimp but the salmon was perfectly. Not overdone, not underdone, I mean it melted in my mouth and the sauce... I could have eaten just rice and this sauce (which they drizzle over the rice). Oh rice is extra. 2euros I believe.

I hate when you go to a sushi place (generally bad sushi places) and you get teeny tiny rolls and then they don't give you enough tuna or avocado or whatever. The worst is also when they use bad rice, cheap rice or old rice... Yuck. Kukai Nibu did none of that. They're rolls were big and proportional in the ingredients and great rice!

So Great Sushi, Great Teriyaki.. Yum.. And the other folks reviewing this restaurant are right, this place isn't cheap (not the most expensive) but I can tell you that the portions are a good size. We spent about 70 euros so say about $95 for two people, no alcohol, but we ate a lot:) (We had just spend about 7-8 hours touring around Pompeii and Naples.) The meal included 2 bottles of water (yes, in Italy you pay for water), 1 small starter salad, teriyaki roll and spicy tuna roll for my friend and 1 Sake Teriyaki for me. Oh we shared a niragi roll as well. (Recap - 2 waters, salad, 3 rolls, teriyaki) Service charge was included but we still left a couple of extra euros b/c the food was soooo great. Beautiful contemporary decor as well.

Please go there! You won't be disappointed.

P.S. The majority of the menu is in Italian. We found that many of the restaurants in Naples did not have american menus (not that they have to b/c obviously we're in Italy, but in Venice and Rome, 99% of the menus also were in english). So just a warning that you either need to know your japanese food names or italian:)

• Visited September 2011