“Dimitris....The most amazing manager-director in the Gulf of Naples” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Micalo

You added Hotel Micalo to your Saves list
Hotel Micalo
Via Riviera di Chiaia 88, 80122 Naples, Italy   |
Ranked #26 of 189 Hotels in Naples
Roma
“Dimitris....The most amazing manager-director in the Gulf of Naples”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Micalo’ si the perfect place to stay in Naples. First of all the location is the best in the Gulf. Located along the Riviera di Chiaia, MIcalo’ is right in front of the spectacular Lungomare with the magnificent Mediterranean gardens between Mergellina and Castel dell’Ovo. Some of the best views, restaurants, elegant boutiques, and trendy bars are just around the corner. Unfortunately, at the moment some construction work for the subway limits a bit the beauty of this particular place which enchanting drama has been the subject of poems and paintings by some of the greatest intellectual travelers of the Grand Tour. Second I loved the transition from the hustle and bustle of the city into the immaculate comfort of the interior. Some of the contemporary art works create a colorful fascinating ambiance versus the white tonality of the general space. Rooms and bathrooms are extremely quiet, nice and comfortable and I found the duplex (bed on the ground and bath on the upper floor) very original in concept. Mattresses, duvets, towels, toiletries are of an exceptional quality! Breakfast in the morning is served in a nice luminous room which could be in Ischia or Capri. The most special character of this boutique hotel is the manager-director extraordinaire Dimitris. A Greek-Italian man who welcomes you calling you by name and with unexpected kindness (truly!!!). Dimitris puts the work of a manager at a higher level. He is truly extraordinary and literally tries to help guests like no other in the world ( and here I could make comparison with the best 5 star hotels in Italy). Beside the fact that he knows Naples well (its restaurants, theatres, monuments and museums) he has a genuine elegant and professional predisposition to be in this field. I would say that Micalo’ without Dimitris would be like Naples without Vesuvius…still a beautiful place but without a source of inspiration.

Room Tip: They are all similar and comfortable. I had a beautiful duplex connected with another room with fri...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The staff of this hotel are its greatest asset. Warm and friendly welcome from Demitri, who gave us his card and instructed us to call him if ever we found ourselves in an uncomfortable situation whilst in Naples – he would come get us in his car, even if we called after we’d checked out of his hotel. Impressive and quite reassuring on our first trip to Naples! Be aware that the hotel is not clearly marked from the street – you have to know what you are looking for (a locked and barred door onto a courtyard, which is basically a normal Naples apartment building). After you ring the bell and are buzzed through, you walk across the courtyard to another locked door (also buzzed through), and then you have to negotiate a small elevator. When it stops, you are greeting enthusiastically by Demitri, who makes you feel at home from the minute you arrive. The room we were given, #5, had a great view onto the park and the sea, although the construction outside could be bothersome at times. The room was quirky; a rock was suspended from the ceiling on a wire, and the bottom-most stair of the staircase was a rough-hewn piece of granite fashioned into a step. About that staircase: If you are elderly, overweight, or unfit (or all three, as we were), it is tough to negotiate. Steep, slippery, narrow steps with no handrail of any kind, and you must use these steps every time you visit the bathroom – very difficult in the middle of the night. Once you get to the bathroom, it’s nice, although it was hard not to get water all over the floor, even being careful. Also, the tub was difficult to enter and exit, as it was so high above the ground. The other things we didn’t like: The room’s door was flimsy with no deadbolt; the fridge was broke, as was the AC; the walls could really use a new coat of paint; the breakfast was not great, as we are used to protein (meat, eggs, etc.), but breads and cereals, with a little bit of kiwi fruit, cheese and tough salami, were the only choices here. What we did love: the view! You can walk out on the early nineteenth-century balcony and see the sun come up over the Sorrento hills, see Vesuvius in the pink sunrise, and the Villa Comunale’s palm trees over the sea. So beautiful! Also, the staff here are amazing. The room’s design is very pretty, and the restaurant choices nearby are plentiful and delicious. The location can’t be beat, with the area around the hotel being the safest and richest in Naples (we saw stores for Prada, Gucci, etc.). Also, the wifi was free and worked flawlessly. Would I stay here again? Definitely, although I would ask for a room without the upstairs bathroom.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My first memory of Hotel Micalo? Stepping into the courtyard and seeing Dimitris waving at me from the 2nd floor window welcoming my husband, in-laws and myself to the hotel. This warm welcome continued throughout our entire 6 night stay in November. But let me back up because this welcoming attitude started about 2 months prior to my family's trip. When I am planning a vacation I look into every detail, read every review and analyze every piece of information available so as not to be surprised during my stay. Needless to say I am a bit overzealous but it's all part of my process. I contacted the hotel with additional questions and heard from Dimitris right away. Well, 8 hours later because of the time difference. This continued for 2 months and I never felt like I was bothering either Dimitris or Suzanne. They helped me to plan, from Colorado, how we would be arriving, what we would need, no detail was to small for them to happily respond to me.

The hotel can only be described as charming. If you are the type of traveler who wants everything brand spanking new, shiny and commercialized please do not stay here. But if you are a traveler who wants to feel as though they are truly a part of the city in which you are staying, you could not find a better hotel than this. The location is fantastic! You hear so much about crime and sketchy neighborhood in Naples but this is the ritziest area in Naples and we felt comfortable walking back to the hotel at 1:00 in the morning. Also, it's right next to a small police station.

Breakfasts were amazing. A true Italian breaksfast of fresh meats, cheeses, local fruit and pastries. Yum! We filled up each morning and the 2 cappucinos I drank every morning were beautiful. Creamy and so pretty you hated to drink it but I managed.

Now for the staff. As previous reviews have stated Dimitris is an absolute gentleman. And I mean this in the old-fashioned sense in that nothing was ever a bother and he was so gracious and helpful. Plus he smell so good (hermes cologne). Speaks perfect English as does Suzanne, the owner who is originally from England but married a local. My in-laws forgot their adaptor and Suzanne was sweet enough to bring one from her home! And when our safe re-set itself due to a power outage a mechanic was called in first thing the next morning and a brand new one was brought. Mierko who works there was so kind as well. He is learning English and did everything he could to help us. He is a huge Naples soccer fan! So you see, you really get to know the people who work there, it's just like a little family. And Dimitris even gave us his personal cell phone number in case at any time we felt unsafe in an area and needed to be picked up by him personally. And when we left (on our way to Florence) he said to not hesitate to call him, even from Florence, and he would do anything he could to help us. Have you ever heard of such kindness from a hotel? I have not and that's why we can't wait to come back and visit Hotel Micalo and the beautiful city of Naples.

On another note about Naples. At no time did I ever feel unsafe in Naples. The people here are so vibrant, fun, stylish and full of life. Our next stop was Florence and we were so disappointed because it cannot even begin to compare to Naples. I never thought I would say that but the entire time we were in Florence we compared it to Naples. The food was horrible, the people were not as warm and the attractions cannot begin to compare to those of Naples. If only we had ended our trip with Hotel Micalo and Naples. Thank you so much for making this the best trip of our life! We cannot wait to come back and explore more of this great city!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The managers at this boutique hotel were wonderful (thank you Dimitres). They were enthusiastic about the city of Napoli and were able to provide great advice on where to visit. They went the extra mile to obtain freshly baked gluten free breakfast items for my traveling companion who is a coeliac. I must say I was a tad nervous about visiting Napoli based on what people had said about this city. I was, however, pleasantly surprised and felt safe even at night walking back to the hotel after dinner. As with all big cities across the world you need to be aware and careful, particularly in crowded areas such as the train station where I am told pick pockets are around. We went to the the train station on two occasions and we were fine. Naples is well worth a visit, the people are very friendly and the sites are wonderful. I particularly liked the new pedestrian area down by the seaside close to Castel dell'Ovo. This area has a great range of restaurants and one of the restaurants made their own gluten free pizza bases (Fresco). Thank you Hotel Micalo for making our stay in Napoli very special.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Hotel Micalo in September 2013 and couldn't have hoped for a better place to stay.

Not only is it full of great pieces of art by local artists and tremendous pieces selected by the owner, the overall feeling of the hotel is calming and helps you relax after a busy day of seeing the sites amongst the day-to-day life of the city. A true escape from the rat race.

Above all, the most notable quality to the hotel is the customer service. Whilst we were there the team at Hotel Micalo went beyond the call of duty to satisfy our individual needs and desires for our time in Napoli, and if it weren't for the personal attention to our individual tastes we don't believe we would have ever managed to see the sights we fell in love with the most or saw aspects of the city the normal route of sightseeing would have taken us past.

If we should ever return to Napoli (a much safer and beautiful city than we were led to believe) there is only one hotel we could imagine using.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Me and my husband stayed in this great hotel on the last night of our honeymoon and wished we would have stayed longer. The only negative I could say about this hotel is that we had a little difficulty finding it as the hotel itself sits on the 2nd floor of an old Napolitan building and doesn't stand out to you straight away - you could easily miss it. You have to walk through a courtyard to get into the main building however I thought this was charming and in keeping with the style of the surrounding architecture.

The rooms were great - admittedly not everyone's cup of tea but if what you are looking for is a nice boutique hotel, with a comfy bed and great natural light in a modern setting with a fine art twist and natural furnishings - then I would highly recommend. Plus the hotel is in a great location to bars, restaurants, port, the parks etc.

For me the highlight of this hotel was the fantastic Dimitris. What a wonderfully charming and genuine man. He made us feel so welcome and came out personally to greet us at Breakfast and congratulate us on our recent wedding. He gave us some recommendations of things to do in Naples, howeber as we were both tired and had a trip back to the UK later that day he kindly offerered to let us stay in our rooms 2 hours past check out without any extra charge just so that we could sleep. Nothing was too much trouble which made us feel totally at ease.

Great personal, friendly service from all the staff at Hotel Micalo - we will definately return to this hotel when we are next in Naples.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

WE liked the Hotel Micalo a lot. It was full of interesting contemporary art and stylish details, unusual use of space and is extremely comfortable. Our sea-facing room had views of the bay of Naples, and the September sun streaming in was gorgeous. There are lots of restaurants and cafes in the immediate area (Dora fish restaurant round the corner is a must). Transport was easy and walks along the lungomare were idyllic in the evening passeggiata. However, the best bit was our wonderful host, Dmiotri, who welcomed us so enthusiastically and so warmly and gave us numerous recommendations for things to do and places to eat. He was a huge plus. How lovely to be in the presence of someone who clearly loves his job and his guests and shows it! Thank you, Dmitri!

The downside - We didn't mind about the slightly shabby entrance and roadworks outside but the rooms could do with a lick of paint, some of the lights didn't work and the breakfast was a bit disappointing. (Fresh orange iuice was extra, a bit mean, and the fresh fruit was minimal, my peach was past its best) On the last morning the cappuccino was anything but! It's a shame that the stylishness and hospitality was slightly marred by these details. However, there are good cafes nearby for breakfast with better cornetti and proper coffee.I would still highly recommend Micalo.Just don't get too excited about the breakfast.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the sea-facing rooms, views are lovely and the thick shutters keep out road noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Micalo? Share your experiences!