“Greatly enjoyed Naples, hope to return some day” 4 of 5 stars

MediNaples B&B
Via Medina 17, 80133 Naples, Italy (Porto)   |
Ranked #65 of 378 Naples B&B and Inns
South Lanarkshire Scotland
“Greatly enjoyed Naples, hope to return some day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

Booked recommended Medinaples B&B for 13 nights, perhaps longer than usual for most people. .As we were out all day travelling to many interesting places ,eg Sorrento, Capri, Positano, Pompeii, Herculaneum and Rome,also sight seeing around the city, what we required was a breakfast and a good bed to fall into each night! Room was rather small, hot and humid, design rather odd , with steps down to the shower room , unsuitable for anyone with mobility problems, the windows opened into a narrow courtyard.All kept rather clean, with regular towel and bed linen changes throughout our stay. Breakfast was served daily by the sweet, helpful ever delightful Svetlana. What woulld they do without her ! Breakfast consisted of plenty of teas, coffee, fruit juices, fresh rolls, ham cheese, cereals, fresh fruits,pastries, occasional boiled eggs and tinned fruit.. Location was much less threatening than we were led to believe,making shopping & local visits pleasurable. Local food and restaurants , especially Antonio's seafood restaurant, recommended by the B&B just delicious.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

We were overall quite pleased with our 2-night stay here.

First, the location is great. It was incredibly easy and very quick to get to the hotel with our luggage from the Molo Beverello port. It is also located just on the other side of the Piazza Municipo from the Alibus stop that takes you to the train station and to the airport. (As an aside, I recommend the Alibus to the airport. It is only 3 euro, you can buy your tickets on the bus, and the bus is modern and clean.) We were only in Naples two days, but we found we could walk everywhere we wanted to go - the Duomo, Archaeological Museum, Da Michele, Piazza Plebiscito, the train station for our trip to Pompeii, etc.

Second, the hotel is clean and comfortable. Our room had a little balcony overlooking Via Medina, which is a busy road -- but when we closed the windows and shutters, we couldn't hear a thing! The bathroom was quite spacious for European standards and had a shower stall and a blow dryer, which was unexpected but most appreciated. I did notice that the bathroom occasionally had a faintly musty smell to it, but it went away fairly quickly and I did not find this to be much of an issue. The room also included a TV with satellite (although I could not find any English channels) and a safe in the closet (although you have to get the code from reception as opposed to setting your own). Our room also had its own air conditioning unit. We were pleased with the breakfast, which was more extensive than at other hotels we had stayed at and offered coffee, several different types of juice, several different kinds of fresh pastries, a variety of packaged cakes and pastries, rolls, meat, cheese, fresh fruit, yogurt, and several kinds of cereal including granola. There is also free wi-fi, which we were able to get on using our Android phone.

Our two complaints for this hotel relate to the air conditioning and the lack of insulation between rooms. With regard to the air conditioning: no matter what we set the A/C to or how long we let it run, the room never cooled below 72 degrees. This might not be an issue for others -- the room was, generally, at a comfortable temperature -- but I sleep best when the temperature is around 68 or so, so I did have a bit of an issue falling asleep. With regard to the lack of insulation between rooms: I could hear the people in the room next door to us talking -- not so clearly where I could make out what they were actually saying, but definitely the sound of their voice. It did not turn out to be an issue in terms of sleeping, as they were either not talking or not in their room when we were going to bed, but if you are sensitive to noise, I would suggest ear plugs.

Despite these issues, I would recommend this hotel to others -- for 69 euro a night at the beginning of September, I felt that this clean, well-located, comfortable B&B was a great deal.

(Tip: there is a Deco supermarket just across Via Medina from the hotel.)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the MediNaples the very end of May after returning from Capri. When I first booked the hotel, I was nervous I wouldn't be able to find it and it looked like it was going to be a very far walk. Quite the opposite. It was so close to the ferry port (Molo Beverelo) one needs not worry about a serious walk. When it says just past the "fountain", it is just that. Upon entering the double wide doors, there was a woman questioning us as to where we were going and we said "hotel" and she pointed to the elevator. It was free and up we went. The man who greeted us at the door to the hotel, was very sweet and showed us around the hotel and where to have breakfast. Our room..........oh my goodness, it was in the front, along the busy street and I feared I wouldn't sleep well, but we did!!! The street did quiet down a bit..........we slept with the patio doors open so we could catch a cool breeze. The room was clean, and the colors were very nice to the eye. I read one of the previous reviews and thought "what am I getting us into" but it was just wonderful. The night staff was very sweet and cheerful. We had a take-out pizza from the pizza place beside the fountain and it was exception in our room. The next morning we asked for a taxi from the you lady at the desk and she tended to the task immediately. It was a joy staying here and I would highly recommend it to anyone for an overnight or even 3 or 4 night stay. You can't go wrong. Not posh but if I am just planning on sleeping, why would I want a $300.00 per night room?? I will go back next year.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Nove Zamky, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. Before my arrival I was sent an e-mail with detailed information on how to get to the hotel in English language. The hotel is at a very good location. In front of the hotel there is a bus stop from which you can get to the main railway station and to many other places. Alibus (the bus that goes to the airport) stop is about 4-5 mintes walk away near Castel Nuovo. Molo Beverello (boats depart from here to Capri, Sorrento, etc,.) is also very near (5 minutes walk). The hotel was really quiete. My room did not have a window overlooking the street although the street is also relatively quite and clean. Breakfast is buffet like. There was a great choice of fruit djuices, butter, marmelades and fresh fruits. I had a hearty breakfast and I really liked the semolina cake :). There are two pizzarias next to the hotel. I eat in one of them. The pizza was delicious and not expensive at all. At the beginning of the street (about 100m from the hotel) there is a tabacchi (newspaper shop) where I bought bus tickets. There are banks and teller machines in the nearby too. The hotel staff were kind. Svetlana adviced me what to visit and indicated them for me on the map. There are tourist brochures and even guide books to borrow in English and Italian language! I was very satisfied with this hotel. I also tried the free WiFi Internet. It was fast and stable. It is an affordable hotel at a great location. In my opinion I could not have found a better hotel at the price I booked.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

Having read all the reviews we were happy to book this little hotel. It was easy to find with the instructions up here and by the hotel, which they sent them immediately after booking. We stayed in Naples for three nights and really enjoyed our stay. Nice staff, nice breakfast, nice views from the room. It was quiet times at the hotel and the noice from the construction sites (metro) didn't make it to the hotel. There's a bus stop next to the hotel, so it's easy (and safe) to take public transport - and just to walk around.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Temecula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

The value of this room is among the best in Italy. We were met but the nicest & most enthusiastic staff around! They gave us the inside scoop on the city (not the safest from what we hear & read, but not a problem for us while we were there) & talked us through how to get to Pompeii, Herculaneum, & Mt. Vesuvious. We went to the (water) buffalo! restaurant next door & were not very impressed with the food (& it was expensive!) Not great restaurants nearby (that we found.) Via Toledo is nearby & is an absolute must for an evening stroll on a Friday or Saturday (in your nicest clothes!) It is an event! The breakfast was excellent! Lots of fruit, juices, yogurts, breads, & cereals. A very good experience for us, but Napoli is completely under construction! Every street is being worked on & most walls have graffiti. The Castle is nearby too. Air conditioner works very well!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Trento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I stayed at Medinaples B&B for two nights, booked with lastminute.com.
The room was quite big, a double single use, and was clean as the bathroom was.
Everything was working, only for the air conditioning you must pay an extra fee, but I did not need it.
The bathroom had no window, as most bathrooms do even in 4 star hotels, but had working forced ventilation. The room had a big window facing an inner patio at the third floor, which was unfortunately closed with glass in its upper part: in this way the room could get enough light, but no direct air from the outside: a bit of a claustrophobic situation, but luckily it wasn't too hot.
Another odd thing - which was not a problem for me - was that the door of my room (others had different kind of access) was opening on the room that in the morning was becoming the breakfast room, so as you walked out of it in the morning you met other people eating right in front of you door.
I think it was a good value stay, the basic needs are fulfilled, and the position is perfect for visiting the city: a quite place in the city center.
I would come back here if it happens to me to go to Napoli again, but I will for sure ask for a room with a proper window facing the outside.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to MediNaples B&B? Share your experiences!