“Great find” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 189 Hotels in Naples
Padua, Italy
“Great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

On the far side of Piazza Garibaldi, from the train station sits the Una Hotel. an old building with a completely modern fitout. I liked this place, because its not often you can stumble into a hotel without a booking or a plan to stay there close to a train station that is clean , functions well, and has helpful staff. For 90 euros a night. the area could be a bit scary at night for a lone woman , so be careful about that aspect of it , but during the day it is very lively and safe. To be near the train station and not far from the historic centre this hotel is a good value for money option. I liked the shower, the big safe, the flat screen tv on the wall, the comfort of the bed, the option of a pillow menu, the outdoor roof bar, the people that worked there, the cleanliness and freshness of the place. I would recommend it for a value for money place to stay, the only gripe i have is the internet charge which is 25 euros for 24 hours, or 6 euros per hour. Which I think is a ripoff. They do however give guests one hour of internet use complimentary per day, so if you dont use it much then it is ideal.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011 via mobile

One night stay at the hotel, we can not fault our experience.

During check in I advised that we would be leaving at 5am, so we would miss breakfast. They arrange a breakfast pack for us which was waiting on reception when we checked out.

The hotel was clean, tidy, excellent value for money, shame about the area, although, after exploring some more of Naples, we decided that whatever area of Naples we were in, the whole place was nasty - rubbish and broken bottles everywhere!!

If we could pick the hotel up and move it to Sorrento, we would stay there all the time!!

• Stayed May 2011
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

Clean and quiet considering the location. Good bar and breakfast area and nice roof terrace. Expensive internet but good check out time of 12pm.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011 via mobile

One night stay at the hotel, we can not fault our experience.

• Stayed May 2011
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

After reading very good reviews on Tripadvisor and no other good choice of hotels in Naples, I decided to book a total of 3 nights in the Una hotel in Napoli.

We arrived around 15:00 after a 20 minutes taxi ride from Naples Airport. The trip costs around 20 euros.

We checked in by Giovanni, he spoke also French and that was helpful as the English isn’t always good in Italy. The check in took a long time as he had to put all passport details in his computer. We were given one room key ( We were 3 ) for a room on the 5th floor. The room key did not work but we tried different times but after trying for a few minutes, Giovanni came up and told us he put us on the wrong room. We got a room 2 floors lower.

Our room was at the end of the corridor and when we entered it gave us a roomy impression. It had a very high ceiling which was very nice. The room was very hot and the air conditioning did not work properly, also the control panel was not working well. We had a view on a side street of Piazza Garibaldi. There was a lot of noise but the windows worked well as isolation and darked the window at night.

The bathroom was large but there was no bath, only a big shower but sometimes with low pressure. The bathroom was new but had some wood under the toilet, strange.

It took at my attention that there were no complementary bottles of water, conditioner and only 2 towels ach day ( We were 3 ). This cannot be in a four star hotel.

That night we ate at the restaurant on the top floor, the staff and especially Francesco was very friendly. The food was very good and had a very good quality for a relatively cheap price for a 4 star hotel.

The next morning we had breakfast ( included in almost any rate ), also on the top floor. The buffet was not filled by at all when we arrived but after 30 minutes it was full again? The staff there was very friendly and helpful. The quality was good but a better choice is always better. The staff was to busy cleaning tables so they forgot to fill the buffet.

An hour later, we departed to visit the Herculaneum, the Vesuvius and Pompeii. We asked the reception for information but that was relatively poor, the guy told us that we had to visit the Herculaneum, then Pompeii and then the Vesuvius. Only when we arrived at Pompeii, the last bus departed so the information the guy told us was wrong.

We left the next morning to catch the one and only direct train to Venice, it left around 07:20 so we missed breakfast. The Central Station is only 5 minutes walking from the hotel but you have to be careful, there can happen a lot in these 5 minutes.

After 3 days in Venice we arrived late in Naples again. Giovanni checked us in again and of course he was very friendly. We got now a room on the 5th floor.

We entered the room and left our luggage and departed again for dinner. When we came back and entered the bathroom there was a very terrible sewer smell, the toilet was full of hygienic products and the window was open in the bathroom. We were so tired and did not have enough power to change rooms.

The next day the room smelled terribly and I did not even took a shower that morning. The room had did not had a high ceiling but was again very hot. Now we had a view facing the Piazza Garibaldi.

During the night and morning we had a lot of noise from the restaurant, a lot of footsteps and trolleys from the restaurant above.

Before breakfast we asked for a late check out ( Normally 12:00 ) and asked for just 2 hours more because we had a late flight. We asked Giuliana F. And she was rude and very unfriendly. She told us that no hotel in Italy give free late check outs so she said we have to pay for it . i was simply disgusted by this staff member, so impolite. Also we confronted her with the smell and she told us we were responsible for the smell and not the hotel. I was so disgusted and asked a supervisor. Marina A. came and Guiliana told him our story in Italian ( I know Italian and I can speak it, she did not know, but I found out she was telling a very different story ). After a quick talk he told us we received a free late checkout but I told him it was too late because we already packed our stuff and did not wanted to stay in that room.

So if you arrive late, they put you in a bad room.

The hotel has a fitness room, just 2 fitness equipment were there. So not a big one, the power outlets were also pulled out so they weren’t even working.

There is one computer in the lobby but it is also paid internet and not very cheap.

The hotel is located on Piazza Garibaldi, just 5 minutes from the Central Station and the station for trains to Pompeii, Hercaluneum and Sorrento. The location is not that good for tourists and not very safe and not clean at all. You can reach the Castle and museums after a 30 minute walk.

I hope the staff will get friendlier and that a lot of efforts will be made !

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I have recently spent a week in the UNA Hotel Napoli and despite the first initial appearances from the outside it is a very nice hotel. I should clarify, the building looks fine especially on their website, but the area is a little rough. Compares to other cities Napoli is a rough city, with rubbish and graffiti in many places, which my wife on first appearances compared to a second rate Asian city.

My arrival at the UNA Hotel was seamless using the Alibus from the airport, and we were fortunate that despite checking in quite early they still provided us with the key card to our room, I was thought I may have to dump my luggage for a couple of hours.

I found the staff very very helpful, despite my poor schoolboy Italian. Everywhere I needed to go, with directions a Supermarket, no problem, the staff were always polite and very helpful. Top marks to them.

Travel Tip: From the airport take the Alibus into town, only €3 the bus stops right in from of the hotel, just be careful when crossing the road because the traffic is very chaotic.

Afterwards we take the glass walled lift up to the fifth floor, this was a modern room, and was not facing the main Garibaldi Square, so therefore was much quieter. In fact the only sounds we picked up in our room was the odd police siren or the very rear aircraft passing over.

Typically this room did have a balcony looking down onto the street behind the hotel, where you could see many traders selling counterfeit goods, but it was interesting to see how many of these sellers were operating during the day. A room with a balcony may not be practical, if you have young children.

As I have already stated this is a modern hotel, with a smart modern bathroom including a bidet, but no (bagnio) bath. The room was a bit on the small side, but not too much of an issue. The only downside to this hotel was the LCD television did not have a HDMI port, which surprised me only two scarts, so was unable to watch any content from my laptop.

Also, Internet access was very expensive but this is general across Italy (30 minutes -€3; 1 hour €6; 2 hours €10). I actually worked out that one day’s internet access I could get a reasonable room in Bangkok at these rates. There is a McDonalds nearby that I saw was offering free wi-fi access, but I personally didn’t try this as an alternative option.

Breakfast was on the top floor, 6th we were on the 5th, but I think during my week there, I only heard a bit of noise above us once, when a chair or table was being dragged. Breakfast was Continental and a limited range of hot foods, eggs, cut sausages and bacon. However, there was a big range of hams, cheeses and pastries, on top of fruit and yogurt. However, the one thing that stood out for us or actually all my wife raved about was the coffee and cappuccino for breakfast, we both agreed this was one of the best cappuccinos you could find in Naples (if not Italy).

Shopping Tip: If you are looking for shoes then you have come to the right place, shoe heaven, right on the Corso Umberto, you will find several shoes shops that vary in price and range, all at great value. Including one shop that could really be called “Strippers R Us” - actually called New Giza, at the junction of Via Santa Candida. This must be where strippers, pole dancers & Lady Gaga purchase their boots & shoes, translucent five inches boots all available. If you were making a movie about streetwalkers this is where you would come to buy their boots or shoes.

This hotel offers great access to get around as you are just across the way from the main line station and metro, however with that said after dark there are some dubious characters milling around, including streetwalkers (and one of these was a very tall transsexual), drug addicts and pick pockets. You should be okay if you keep your wits about you and observe the normal rules, as you would at home in a slightly dodgy area. To be honest in my week there I was only approached and offered a counterfeit iPad twice (for €100) and iPhone once.

Overall, I enjoyed my time there and both the wife and I would go back and stay there again. The UNA hotel is a nice smart business hotel, with good access to the main railway station, Naples.

Room Tip: Travel Tip: From the airport take the Alibus
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

The lay out and general condition of the hotel is in complete contrast to the dirt and squalor in the square approaching it. Una hotel is a sparkling gem set in the rebuilding zone that is Piazza Garibaldi. It is only a 5 minute walk from Napoli train station and also has a multitude of shops readily available. As well as a market strewn along the streets behind the hotel; these seemed to be manned exclusively by non-Italians and will do you a deal on just about any “genuine” (probably....) designer item you could wish for.
The interior is beautifully arranged in a modern style, the staff are courteous and professional. The room was amply sized for two people with above average level of detail, the bed was wonderfully firm and the bathroom very clean and well kept. Everything had a feeling of crisp newness about it.
The restaurant served beautiful (if a trifle expensive) food. Both the presentation and taste was very good. The quality of the waiting staff was extremely good, with just the right level if attentiveness without encroaching on personal time and space. There is a terrace that overlooks the city, and whilst the views are naturally mostly of the city, it is still a pleasant place to be as the sun sets, even on a February evening!
The only let down to the entire stay was the reception staff, which whilst courteous and professional did not appear to have any inclination to go beyond the basics of booking you in and taking your money. Any additional information required by a visitor to the city had to be winkled out of them at great length. Several trips to the front desk eventually resulted in an amazingly poor photo copy of a photo copy of a street map that was so feint in the end I resorted to photographing a street map on display we found later. The reception staff seemed to have no idea how to accommodate the needs of a “tourist”. I realise that Napoli is not a Mecca for visitors, )(and to be honest that is part of its rather grubby charm), but I was amazed that there were was no information about the local railways Vesuvius, or Ercolano or even Pompei.
So, Hotel Una, great place to stay and eat, but don’t expect any help for anything occurring outside of its doors.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to UNA Hotel Napoli? Share your experiences!