“Informative staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 61 Specialty Lodging in Naples
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Informative staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Great hostel, the staff were so informative about what to do and see around town. They recommended the pizza street to us and it was seriously the best pizza I have ever eaten!
Very clean and an amazing breakfast!
Thanks for making Naples an awesome experience!

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Arriving in Naples I did no research on what to do or where to go. When I arrived at Hostel of the Sun, I was greeted with enthusiasm and was treated as a friend not a guest. I was told everything I should see during my visit and was helped every morning when I had questions on how to get places. The rooms are extremely clean and mixed rooms are evenly divided between female and males. There is a very relaxing atmosphere and a great place to meet people and enjoy the city. Breakfast was filling every morning and the staff gave excellent recommendations for the best pizza in Naples. I truly appreciated the great hospitality and security I had in Hostel of the Sun.

• Stayed July 2014
Fukuoka, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Very friendly staff. Together with the check-in orientation, they told me the must-visit places in Napoli, together with some restaurant information. Room was 4 people dormitory room. It is comfortable. Hostel staff keeps a dog named "Billy" and he is so cute. I want to hug him again, therefore I may want to visit Napoli again!

Room Tip: To get in touch with kind hotel staff.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Excellent hostel. Extremely friendly staff who are there 24 hours today to help out or just chat, especially if you come back late after partying and have some stories to tell!

The best part was checking in and getting a great introduction to Naples. After hearing all the stories of how hectic this city is, most of that seemed over the top once you knew about all the different quarters and where I was interested in going. The staff set provide a map and talk you through all the different sites and things to do. I think you should add Piazza Bellini to the introduction for younger or solo travellers guys! I loved Naples, so much so that I ended up missing Pompeii, which I think most people would think is crazy. But after getting to walk around a lot I never wanted to leave! All of my knowledge was provided by hostel staff, including where to find Alimentary to eat buffalo mozzarella, the best pizza shops and the oldest, walking routes and transport alternatives, and beaches outside of the city.

The place was quiet and well equipped. Breakfast every morning was basic but substantial and a good way to fuel for the day, especially if you're planning on climbing one thing or another, of which there are many.

Big thanks to Valerio and team for making the stay so good! Hopefully I'll make it back some day!

My only problem was the doorbell as I could hear it from my bed and it tended to go off a fair bit at night-time. But this really wasn't an issue.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed in this hostel for 2 nights in a private room and enjoyed our stay!

We found the staff very friendly and helpful, especially when it came to helping us when we discovered that my girlfriend had lost her passport between there and our previous hotel in Rome. They were more than willing to call our previous hotel to ask (in Italian) if it could be found there and call back 2 more times to chase them. They were also very quick with advice on what we should do next (or atleast where to start) when we had no luck locating the passport.

Also, the overview of Naples that was given to us on arrival was very helpful.

The Room was clean and spacious, with a large balcony that had a (partial) view of the castle and the Docks. Even though we were 2 floors above the main reception and communal area, it felt safe. Sharing 2 bathrooms on this floor wasn't an issue as 2 rooms were un-suite.

The Breakfast was stuffiest and rekindled my love affair with Nutella! :-)

The hostel was easy to find and idealy located for exploring the centre, if a bit of a trek from the central train station. I can't say it was my most enjoyable experience navigating my way across the crazy Naple roads on a busy Saturday afternoon, but we were greeted with a great welcome, which helped put us at ease.

We went on the free walking tour that was organised through the hostel, which we thought was a great way to get an overview of the city from a local, who knew where he was going (and how to cross the roads!).

I would (and will) recommend this hostel.

Room Tip: A corner Private Room will a good balcony to relax on
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Not sure why it has been certified as the best hostel in Europe..
We were greeted by a cockroach, 2 bathrooms for the whole of the hostel which were absolutely disgusting. The beds were the most uncomfortable we stayed throughout our trip, also giving one of us back ache for the rest of the journey.
I give credit to the people that work there they are extremely nice.. But the place is a bit of a disaster unfortunately. Was really expecting different especially as it was suppose to be "the best hostel in Europe".. Maybe Naples don't have great hostels?!

Stayed June 2014
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I had a mixed experience at this hostel so its hard to write a solid review. Firstly, easy to find - really accurate directions from the email confirmation which was brilliant. In a seemingly dodgy part of town super close to the port. Great for ferry transfers but probably not brilliant for solo female travellers. Interesting set up with rooms all part of an apartment complex with all rooms on a variety of floor levels serviced by a small very dodgy lift requiring 5 cents to run midweek??? Reception is on 7th floor. Small lounge, small bar not nearly enough room for good socialising. Reception team are friendly and really helpful. i went private and my room was fabulous no complaints at all, however............i specifically told the lovely guy at reception i wanted to confirm 2 nights stay but as he was busy i did not follow up him processing it into the computer system so consequently the next day i went off to visit and swim at Procida for the day and returned to discover there had been another booking for my room and i was thrown out of my room which i was pretty bloody upset about as all my private stuff was strewn around my room as i had been sorting ready for moving on and the hostel staff had collected and thrown all my things in bags and dumped them in the lounge which i discovered on walking back in. My things including laptop and passport just left unattended in the public area. Not good. Again the lovely guy at reception who admitted feeling bad about what had transpired had taken the initiative to book me into a hostel across the road. The next morning I was encouraged to leave my luggage in the Sun's room whilst visiting Ischia for a few days which i did. So all was fine until..................i returned to get my luggage with another hostel visitor and a very rude man questioned who i was so i informed him i was the guest who had the room issue a few days ago only to have him go off at me and say it was lll my fault and i caused them to be stressed etc i tried to tell him that the other lovely guy had accepted his role in the miscommunication only for him to yell louder at me that it was not him at all it was entirely my fault. This guy was scary. He had no right to even enter into this conversation and completely undermined the professional integrity of the rest of the team. He needs sacking as i know i was not the only person who was offended by this guy and he seriously has anger management issue. Sorry Sun

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hostel of the Sun? Share your experiences!