“Two or two and a half stars at most” 2 of 5 stars
Review of American Hotel

Save Saved
You added American Hotel to your Saves list
American Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Antiniana 15 | Agnano Terme, 80078 Naples, Italy (Bagnoli)   |
Ranked #103 of 191 Hotels in Naples
Maffra, Victoria, Australia
“Two or two and a half stars at most”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We arrived here today (7/7/14). Hotel is situated well out of town, surrounded by car yards (great if you want to buy a car), some yards are empty. There is one small cafe across the road. This is NOT a 4 star hotel, far from it. It is dated and in need of repair. The web site says it has been renovated, I'm not sure where, our little balcony, in room 304 is held together by rust and electrical tape. I wasn't game to lean on it lest I go crashing down. Room is stuffy, air conditioning hardly works, very disappointed to say the least. The photos portrayed are not a true indication of the quality. Restaurant meals are very basic. Pointed out to staff that air conditioning unit in restaurant was leaking (unit against wall just near entrance to restaurant). Won't be on the recommendation list.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We came here in this hotel on 26.August.2012 Sunday as a result of the booking of our travel tour agency. And this hotel was supposed to be within city. Indeed NOT.
Since; the first day we went to Capri island in our free time and at return we missed the fast ferry boat ( hydrofoils ) that we were obliged to get and so missed our tour bus. So when we returned to the marina Molo Beverello in Napoli, we had to take the bus from the marina to Agnano. The bus dropped us at the Stadium stop and we had to walk down like 7-10 minutes to the Agnano metro station. From here we were supposed to take another bus number# 502 from the metro sttaion to the Via Antiniana stop where the hotel is. But that bus never arrived after a long wait of 1/2 hour. Now i see a note on the ANM website as :

"502 P. Tecchio - Via Pisciarelli
Dal 03/09/2012 in esercizio nei giorni festivi"

and so i understand why we could not get it. Because it was Sunday.

So we decided to cab a taxi, but it was almost impossible to find it even there is a taxi station in front of the metro station. No taxi was around. We waited for another 20-25 minutes to find a taxi. Finally got it and arrived to the hotel. The taxi fare was 15 €, but upon arrival the driver asked an extra 5€ from us due to hotel being outside the city; Pozzuoli.

So everyone has to be very careful about what is indeed INSIDE the city and what is NOT. Travel agencies mostly mislead the people.And the smell around the hotel is true, it is bad. But you don't feel it in your room.

On and all; the comfort of our suite room satisfied us a lot after a very overwhelming day. It was prettly clean, very nice decorated even with a leather sofa, a very large room with a very large and comfortable bed and bathroom. All were pretty.
At the breakfast , they offered a limited variety but all of them were fresh and delicious.

We left this hotel with great comfort. And in Napoli, we had great experiences which turned my thoughts of this city upside down. All the people around were so friendly, helpful. The lady and a gentleman at the information desk of the marina was so helpful, they explained us everything in detail. Offered a free map, and pointed out the ways tha we should lead to. Due to being sunday, we could not find a bigletteria ( ticket office ) open around and the bus arrived all of a sudden. I asked to the bus driver with my limited italian that we don't have ticket , where i can buy and also we need to catch this bus. He said " no problem; hop on". We were a lot suprised with this favour. And then, a lady -with a small baby on her body- helped us with her limited english to buy a ticket from the ticket machine for the second bus we need. And then a security man outside the metro sttaion offred us free water to drink even we refused, he insisted us to drink. So we did.
It was hard to believe all those favours and humanity, after all we heard the bad things about Napoli so far.
My thoughts completely changed about Napoli. The islands around Napoli are extremely beautiful. This time we visited Capri island. The next time we hope to head through Sorrento and Amalfi coasts. The water was so clean.

I hope my comment gives a you bit idea about thsi place. I wish everyone wonderful holiday experiences!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in fact located very far from everything of interest in Naples and pozzuoli. There is an abandoned base across the street, which is nice. There is no place to put any of your toiletries on the sink or in the bathroom. There is no bath in the bathroom only a shower, toilet, bidet, and sink. The bed is incredibly hard. The television is about 19 inches. The walls are bare except for one very small painting. There were no blankets at all but that turned out okay because the a/c never got cold. Oh and the elevators are tiny. They have a 4 person maximum capacity and are frightening to ride due to their herky jerky motion. The hotel got some things right though, free wifi and the toilet paper is of good quality which are the only redeeming qualities. Save your money and time for a nicer hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I dont imagine four stars hotel like this hotel. The hotel is badly located - very far from the center of city. I had view of the street and there were ( if my windows were opened) very strange smell. First day I found some hair in my bed ( believe me, this hairs wasnt my) ..the next days the room was pretty clean.

The food in the restaurants was good,but nothing special. And what I hate the most? During the breakfast,there were plastic spoon and cups? Is it really that what Im paying for?

• Stayed August 2012
Alexandria, Egypt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I had a long day flying form a country to country ,then from city to city until we reached naples at night. The hotel wasn't near the airport ,although it was reserved to us by ALITALIA, which means it should be the nearest hotel to the airport. It took us around half an hour to reach the hotel. Its more like a motel, nice , neat , friendly house...not a hotel.On arrival we had dinner prepared at the hotel , it was the usual traditional salad,pasta & veal dish . I think that this latter dish was the real problem, After I entered the room i started feeling not ok ,then drowsy,then stomachaches & ended up by having food poisoning & stayed awake all night . To & fro toilette , with no one to help at the hotel. No pharmacy, no doctor, nothing to be done till the morning. It was a tough night, I could never forget. The room was ok, although when i needed something from the room service ,there were none & the telephonist ( who is the receptionist) had to come & fix it for me , as he said "there is no one now at night !!!".

Room Tip: Don't try
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

There are a number of things that I don't understand, quantum physics for instance, why do men have nipples is another, but why oh why would you build a hotel here? There must be a reason as the owners have built two right next to each other. I stayed in the suites, the newer of the two, the room was large and clean, the shower good and the bed nice enough. The downsides, if you want to buy a car, you are in the right place, if you want to eat out you have a 10 min walk to the nearest pizza joint (though a not very nice road). Coupled with the smell of sulphur when the wind is in the wrong direction, the fact the air con doesn't 'do cold', the nightclub 20m away playing music till 6am and the very sullen staff, this would not be somewhere I would stay again. The restaurant in the hotel next door is bordering on robbery, bad food, terrible service..... like really terrible.
I have however given a average rating as the staff could have just had an off day and at least you get free internet. If you need somewhere to crash for the night then great, clean and comfy enough, if this is your holiday..... Avoid.

Would I stay here again. Nope.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed in The American Hotel for 3 nights and had a wonderful experience. Our first morning, after traveling from the US, we slept long after the breakfast time, but we found a very attentive front desk attendant, Rocco, standing by, to make sure that we had coffee and a great breakfast. We were offered a full breakfast and the service was excellent. Our rooms were large and extremely clean. Perhaps the hotel has been renovated recently. The personnel at the hotel were very helpful in providing directions and arranging transportation. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to American Hotel? Share your experiences!