“wonderful, first-rate experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 188 Hotels in Naples
Los Angeles, California
“wonderful, first-rate experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Palazzo Turchini was the best thing about our stay in Naples. The city is hard to navigate and the bus system will drive you crazy...but the Turchini desk staff were great. Helped us with everything (way way better than the tourist bureau). For example,when it rained, the front desk loaned us umbrellas instead of our having to run upstairs to rummage through our luggage for them. There is a free internet desk to check email.

We loved the breakfast: fresh pastries and crusty bread every day. Raw and cut melons, pears, bananas... eggs, cheeses, yogurt, cereals, and surprisingly good coffee. Better than anything we had in Rome on the second half of our trip. Most places just have croissants and toast with limited fruit. This breakfast lets you stay healthy or splurge on carbs. The breakfast is served in a light, closed terrace on the top floor.
Last point: Turchini's location is pretty safe. You can walk to several of the main piazzas near the opera house and restaurants. There is a Carrefour for bottled water and groceries within 3 blocks.
Online, hotels in other locations or near the train station are much cheaper... but those areas full of pickpockets and not safe at night. We felt Turchini in the historic center was well worth the extra cost, and we saved money by not having to take taxis at night to get to a restaurant.

Room Tip: ask for more light/larger windows
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
Fairmont Hot Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

My wife and myself spent one day in Naples on a recent trip to Italy.We had heard mainly negative reports on the city but wanted to taste real pizza from where it originated from.
We were presently surprised by both the city and this hotel.
The hotel is centrally located and very clean,the staff was helpful and friendly and went out of their way to ensure that we never got ripped off.
The breakfast was very good and had lots of healthy options.i made the mistake of only spending one full day here and now we have to return to this hotel and the city which has so much character

• Stayed November 2011
Avon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Julia, gave us a warm welcome to the hotel. She gave us a map and explained where to shop and eat. The room was a/c, nice sized with European furniture. Julia arranged a tour to Pompei for us that picked up and dropped off at the hotel. My wife's luggage was lost by BA and Julia assisted in trying to contact them. The luggage had been lost at that time 5 days, and Julia showed my wife on the map where to shop for clothes. There is a pharmacy close by, the bus stop is right in front.

• Stayed September 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

he location of the hotel is great with the ferry terminal (Capri, Ischia etc) just a few minutes walk away. Access to the airport is easy as the Alibus bus (fare: 3 Euros) terminates at Piazza Municipio close to the hotel. Palazzo Reale, Galleria Umberto I, Piazza Plebiscito and the main shopping street of Via Toledo, just to name a few, are also located within the proximity of the hotel. Vomero (lots of shops) is easily accessible by funicular rail from Via Toledo. The main railway station is 20-30 mins walking distance away and a bus stop is just in front of the hotel. A metro station is under construction in the nearby Piazza Municipio which was a bit of an eyesore. There is a nice fountain next to the hotel and newsstand where local public transport tickets are sold. The room I stayed in was quite spacious (Executive category) and well-appointed. Carry along a pair of ear plugs if noise from the street bothers you. Other than that my stay at the hotel was peaceful. Breakfast was served on the top 6th floor (indoor and outdoor terrace) and was adequate. Service in the breakfast room was courteous. The reception staff were polite and helpful and no lapses in room cleaning (I stayed 6 nights at the hotel) either. Use of computer/printer was free of charge.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed with my husband and 2 teenage daughters for 7 nights beginning on 19th August. The hotel is in a great location, ferries to Capri, Sorrento just 5 minutes walk, 10 minutes to funicular to Sant'Elmo . The staff were great, room was cleaned daily with fresh sheets, towels and toiletries. Breakfast was usual continental style, croissants, scrambled and boiled eggs, sausage, cereal, would have liked fresh fruit juice but that is my only very minor criticism.Had a great stay and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 306 (street view) and 307 (no view room fairly dark)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chichester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a few days for a family wedding in naples. The hotel was easy to find as being so close to the castle and the reception staff were more than helpful with regards to sugestions for resturants and places to visit. We stayed in an excecutive room which was really nice and the inlaws had a normal room. The only difference in the rooms was the size they were both appointed the same very clean and well equipted.
The hotel bar is very small but the little bar just outside to the left is very good and cheaper than the hotel.(The waiter responds well if you tip).The breakfast was your normal continetal but always well stocked and fresh.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I want to write this review (the first one I have ever written) as I feel that it's only right that I warn other potential guests of my dreadful one night stay at this hotel, room 404.

I arrived late (having confirmed in an email that I would be arriving late) to find that the spacious room 'with a view' that I had requested via www.booking.com was tiny and actually looked over a rubbish dump!

More than that, this was the first of my problems - the bedroom floor and bathroom floors were dirty, had not been cleaned since the last guest, the air conditioning didn't work properly and was stuck on high, the cream bedroom lamps were wobbly and were badly heated-stained brown, the bathroom shower head was rusty and sprayed all over the place, the door of shower was almost too hard to pull closed so let water onto the bathroom floor which was dangerous to step out on, there were no toiletries available other than a tiny bar of soap, (no shampoo, conditioner, nail file, shower cap etc.), there was no bathroom robe, no 'plug' to the bathroom sink in order to wash effectively, thin scratchy poor-quality towels, no rug to go over the bed which was needed as due to the air conditioning, was needed - just a thin sheet cover only available so cold most of the night! Thin foam pillows that were lumpy, ineffective double glazed windows which let in the traffic noise, and thin ceilings so you could hear loud scraping of chairs overhead until very late in the evening. Breakfast was not much better - there was watered down orange juice, fresh fruit left out with no covers, so flies had gathered. I sat there for half an hour before anyone came to see me, and then I was given just a cup of slopped black coffee without a saucer and no milk was offered. A young girl was out on the breakfast balcony blowdrying her hair & applying make up! - for a 4* Hotel I thought this conduct would not have been allowed?? Loud 'dance' music first thing in the breakfast room, was also not conducive to relaxing!

Given all this and after a poor nights sleep, as you can imagine I was keen to check out asap, but upon check out, the staff told me to take a cab to the bus station to get to Amalfi only to find after a hefty cab fare that the buses were all on strike! Surely concierge should know about things like this to relay to guests?? When I came to pay for the room, I explained that I had sent an email a few days before stating that it was just me staying the night (so the charge for a single person should have been €90), but I was still charged for 2 people staying as they couldn't find my email and said it was a 'double room' and that I would have to contact www.booking.com to complain about the other things as it was the Manager's day off and they were not able to charge me the single rate of €90! So I was still charged €110 for this terrible night's stay!

All in all, I was disgusted with the room, it's facilities, the hotel 'facilities' which seemed very poor, the staff members, who were unhelpful and dismissive. This is 2* at very best!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Palazzo Turchini? Share your experiences!