“Value for the money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Il Convento

You added Hotel Il Convento to your Saves list
Hotel Il Convento
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Speranzella 137/a, 80132 Naples, Italy (San Ferdinando)   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 188 Hotels in Naples
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Value for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

A good hotel that gives you alot of value for the money. All in all it is a very good hotel that I would recommend! Staff was very friendly.

The only minus is the smell in the room we had. It passed eventually, so it was no big deal really.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

In the historic center of Naples there is a tendency to want one of the very nice hotels that face the sea. However, the Quartieri Spagnoli (Spanish Quarters) up hill from the Via Toledo is where life is lived on the streets, Neopolitan is spoken and the laundry hangs from balconies. The streets are narrow and there are more motorbikes than cars. This hotel has locally made, somewhat dated furnishings, quiet rooms with free (spotty) wifi and a high level of cleanliness. A minor quibble is that the towels were fraying. The management is friendly and knows the quarter well. The streets are safe, thoug Naples is largely poor and reasonable prudence is advised. Very near the Via Toledo stop of hte Metropolitana (subway) that is the most beautiful subway station I have seen. The subway is quick, safe and 1.30 euros.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We had the most pleasant stay here! The staff was friendly, the breakfast astonishingly good and the location perfect to reach all the sights, the metro station and the ferry/hydrofoil harbour within easy walking distance.
Even checking out at 6am was no problem.

Many reviewers complain about the noise at night, but once the windows were shut (and even with the windows open - the aircon unfortunately didn't work) it was relatively quiet.

For the sake of finding something negative to mention, the breakfast hours could have been extended by half an hour or more, the wifi often refused to let me sign in and the toilet flush seemed to have a mind of its own...

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to travellers to Naples.

One thing to note (I wasn't aware of this): Italy charges a city tax of about 2€ per person per night, which has to be paid when leaving.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Canterbury
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I use Tripadvisor for every trip and it has never failed me. I have never reviewed anywhere before but I feel compelled to this time. I booked this hotel at very short notice on the strength of the Tripadvisor reviews. We are 2 adults and 3 children (13, 11 and 11) and booked the suite with roof terrace and a quad room. The suite was very pokey with very, very old worn drab furniture and a very old IKEA (I think) sofa bed with really shabby covers. Absolutely nothing about this or the quad room was charming. I have never been so bitterly disappointed by an hotel and wanted to get out but as it was for one night only we decided to stay and go for a walk. We were however a little distracted by our disappointment.

As this is in the old historic area the area is famously a bit seedy which we knew as we have been to Naples before. We went for a walk in the late afternoon and I was mugged just off the via Toledo while I holding my daughter's hand. I was walking about 5 or 6 steps behind my husband and the other children. I was attacked from behind in a very busy street. As I screamed and tried to stop the thieves, the locals (maybe 100) all stopped and stared. My daughter was crying as they had hurt her in the process of getting to me. It was all over in a a few seconds, enough for my husband and other children to see what was going on but so quickly they did not have time to intervene. My huband ran after them but they sped off on a scooter. There was nothing in my bag (I'd emptied it of all valuables, cards etc) but they got my watch which I had forgotten to remove before leaving the hotel.

The breakfast room comprises one long bench and table that every guest shares and the breakfast is typical fare.

My advice is that for the money you can get a much nicer place. Make sure you leave anything valuable or of sentimental value in the safe.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
hotelilconvento, Direttore at Hotel Il Convento, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Madame,
we're sorry to know you didn't enjoy you stay here.

We're a simple 3 stars hotel, but with character as you can read in other reviews. Our rooms are monastery style, so simple, our furniture are created by skilled cabinet makers or antiques. Nothing here is from IKEA. Maybe you had expectations of a premier, modern hotel, that we're not.

Reading about your misadventure, we believe your judgment has been influenced by what has happened.
We are very sorry , but we are not responsible of the security of the city and always advise our customers not to go around with things of value, but to leave everything in the safe.

However, we hope that your trip to Italy was beautiful and that you will eventually retain only the best memories.

Best regards,
Hotel Il Convento
Maria Chiara
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in early July. Location is terrific - an easy walk to the historic district and the Toledo metro and the waterfront, right off a major shopping street. Loads of traditional restaurants within a few blocks. Maria and other staff were especially helpful with logistical advice and recommendations. She's a gem! My room was large and comfortable, even a/c. Nice shower. Be warned about the noise from vespas and neighborhood conversation if you are an early to bed type. By 11 pm, the neighborhood is quiet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here during our honeymoon for 3 nights. The staff was great especially the man that works at night. He was a great help for everything! The breakfast they serve is wonderful and the location is in a great area and in walking distance to the ferries to go to the islands or places in the Amalfi Coast. Would return again!!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Our family of four ( 2 adults & two kids aged 12 & 14) stayed at Il Convento 1-3 July 2014. It is a charming hotel that is excellently situated for exploring this exciting city. We had one of the rooms with the roof terrace and two double beds. It was such a bonus having the sizeable terrace; while the room wasn't pokey, it was lovely to have the doors open and fresh air & light spilling in. In fact we slept with the doors open on both nights, rather than have the A/C on. We weren't disturbed by noise at all ( yes there's scooters and church bells but we didn't find the noise excessive at all & certainly didn't need the hotel provided ear plugs). There's a table and chairs out there and much greenery which makes it a peaceful spot to sit after a day out walking the streets of the city.

We found the beds comfortable, the Air con effective, the bathroom sizeable ( good temp and pressure in the shower).

Breakfast ( taken in the breakfast room or it can be delivered to your room, we would have done this had we stayed longer) was simple and continental and perfectly adequate: fresh cheeses, salad, cold meats, hard boiled eggs, yoghurt, pastries & particularly nice bread.

The hotel staff were very accommodating, spoke good English & were helpful with directions and recommendations.

The Spanish Quarter is a fabulous area to stay in. It's full of life & noise & local colour and we enjoyed wandering around the lanes. We had dinner both nights at Nenella near the hotel, wonderful wonderful food and experience, and drank sitting in the lane at a 'hole in the wall' bar nearby with the locals ( aperol spritz 1 euro!). We walked everywhere, ( historic centre, archeological museum, Chiaia), ate gelato, ate pizza, saw beautiful churches, shopped, people watched, downed espressos, and quite frankly, fell in love with this city.

Hotel Il Convento was great and we would (will!) definitely return.

Room Tip: Go the roof terrace!