“A very very very special hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel San Francesco al Monte
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso Vittorio Emanuele 328, 80135 Naples, Italy   |
Ranked #29 of 189 Hotels in Naples
Berlin
“A very very very special hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Imagine a boutique hotel overlooking whole Napoli. Imagine a hotel that was 100s of years ago a monastery. Imagine a hotel with historical frescos all over the ceilings, a roof pool, a great roof terrace with green garden, imagine a níce bathroom with jacuzzi overlooking the Amalfi coast.. This is San Francesco al Monte..

very very special hotel..

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

A beautiful hotel (inside) not so impressive outside. We arrived as part of our honeymoon after spending time on the Amalfi coast. When we arrived, hot and sticky, we were advised that the air conditioning had packed in on the top two floors so we woud have to move hotels for one night and were sent to the bar whilst they sorted things out.

My husband went down to advise that as we were only there for two nights it would be better for us to go for two nights rather than mess about packing etc, when we were told that the problem had resolved itself and we now had a room.

We arrived at our room (aka oven) and were a little disappointed, but unpacked and went to e poolside which was lovely although not nearly large enough to cater for the guests (there were squabbles over who could use the sunbeds...).

Later that night there was a massive wedding o the top floor, which made us feel like trespassers as we tried to get a drink up there and couldn't. Our room was baking hot, but we hoped that it would cool down once the air con had started to kick in - how wrong we were.

Te second night I eventually got up at 4.30am to complain - it was stiflingly hot - the air con was completely inadequate, and the fridge diidn't work so we had only warm water to try and cool down. A room so stuffy that we had to lie seperately, perspiring profusely, making the last few days of our honeymoon rather disappointing!

The receptionist advised that the air con wasn't working and he couldn't supply cooler water, until I insisted.

In the mornin, after approx two hours sleep we went to the pool to cool off before packing, and returned to find the maid clearing our room at 10.30 - despite us checking out at 12, and trying to get ready - she stayed in the room while we were packing until my husband asked her to leave!

We asked to speak to the manager upon checking out, but the receptionsit was more interested in answering phone calls, leaving us no time to discuss our complaint before leaving.

This could be a fab hotel, but the facilities, in particular the room standards and air con are completely inadequate for a hotel of this star rating. We were hugely disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sanfrancesco, Direttore at Hotel San Francesco al Monte, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
We thank you vey much for your review, and we wish to give answers to a few things.

On Saturday 17 July in the morning, we had a problem to the main engine of air conditioning, that stopped the fans on the last 2 floors of the hotel, so we decided to move any guests arriving that day ina different hotel.
In the late morning the technician working on it, solved the problem, so we advised the guest that the room will be available and the problem solved.

Unfortunately in the afternoon, the engine stopped again and it took 2 days to be fixed.

The day of your departure I personally, came down to meet you at the desk, but you go in the taxi, ans she had the chance to talk to you, immediately we contact the operator that booked you room, to have you details to reach you, but they were not able to help us.

We really apologize for the inconvenience caused by a technical issue, and we look forward to be contacted by you, in order to offer you a free stay in our hotel.

Regards

Francesca Pagliari
Generale Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

Day 1

I was with a group of friends traveling through Italy and ended up with a couple of nights in Naples in order to make some travel connections.

First, through no fault of the hotel, our luggage arrived before we did. The front desk receptionist was insistent that our luggage was already in one of the rooms. We inquired several times but she continued to maintain that it was not in hotel storage. We all were in need of showers and fresh clothes because we had been on ferries and in the sun all day. It turned out that our luggage WAS in the hotel storage room which was probably less than ten steps from the reception area. We did not get our luggage until after dinner. It would have been so quick and easy for the receptionist to simply walk over to the storage room and look.

The dinner wait staff was marginally attentive, possibly because we were not dressed appropriately since we couldn't get to our luggage and take showers... Dinner was very average. There was not a "full American bar" - just wine and beer. That was certainly not an issue for me but not in keeping with the supposed status of this hotel located in a large city.

The second day I was on my own since I was still waiting my husband to arrive from a delayed flight. I went to the pool side lunch area around 2:40 pm to order. They would not serve me because they closed (at around 2:30pm I believe though they were still bringing out food to other customers). There were no other dining facilities in the hotel and there was no place to eat on the street outside of the hotel. The waiter did offer me a complimentary glass of wine.

Dinner time arrived and there was no room service menu. I called and asked for something to be sent to the room since I had not had much luck with the previous meals. They brought me an antipasto plate and indicated that was the best they could do. Once again, this was not in keeping with the projected hotel image.

Day 2

I was blow drying my hair and the large box containing the blow dryer fell off the wall and was hanging by the wires. I had trouble turning off the blow dryer since I couldn't get the nozzle to go back on the box while it was hanging from the wall. Therefore the blow dryer was on while hanging there. I called both the reception and the concierge numbers. One was busy and the other just rang. I finally ran down the hall, located a maid in one of the rooms, and took her back to my room for assistance. We did manage to get the nozzle back on the box and the dryer turned off but she just left and no one else came.

Finally, I got through on the phone and two maintenance men came and repaired the dryer. One commented on how hot it was in there and checked the air conditioning. I told him that I had already reported that the air conditioning was insufficient for that room. Perhaps the room was even hotter than normal because of the dryer being on.

That afternoon, I was still waiting for my husband to arrive by train. In the meantime our driver had arrived. I went ahead and checked out of the hotel and my driver suggested that I eat lunch there instead of trying to go out in Naples. I checked with the lady working at the reception area and double checked that they would serve me lunch. This was around 1pm or so and within their open lunch hours. I once again went back to the pool lunch area. No one was eating there. However, there were two waiters and one told me that the tables were "preferred". He would not serve me lunch.

After going back to the reception area and complaining AND having the driver escort me to the pool lunch table, I was finally waited on. They offered more complimentary wine which I gladly accepted at this point. This was perhaps after I questioned the receptionist if they did not like to serve women traveling alone or possibly not Americans. Please note that I was an appropriately dressed, normal looking woman - certainly nothing gave off any odd signals about me.

My room and the public areas of the hotel were lovely but I certainly would avoid this place! Location is not good either.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
the Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

In fact we first stayed in Palazzo Decumani, but because of the lack of a pool there we changed to this hotel. It was 34C. and you certainly need a pool in this sticky city.
It used to be a monestary but hardly anything reminds of that anymore.
Location is splendid; great views over Naples and easy connectiong (with finaculaire) to the city center.
Good but somewhat small pool with attentive poolservice.
Rooms are OK, no balconies and the strangest bath/shower combination I have ever seen in a hotel. They kind of build a showercabin on top of the bathtub. Taking a shower is ok, but taking a bath is in fact hardly possible; you just keep on hitting almost everything unless ou have a very tiny posture. Excellent beds by the way.
Breakfast a bit limited, but once again, we made this choice because of their outside facilities and were not disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Eastbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two nights during our recent Honeymoon in Italy. The hotel was beautiful with fantastic rooms that have all ammenities including WIFI yet retain the feel of the buildings original monastic purpose. We stayed in a room with a beautiful view of naples, a separate lounge to the bedroom and a bathroom with a great Jacuzzii bath. The complimentary minibar was good - however this only included drinks and no snacks. The rooms were very spacious and the seperate tv in the lounge and 1 in the bedroom kmeant that i was able to sleep whilst my husband watched CNN to monitor the unfortunate Volcanic Ash eruption.

The pool during our visit was closed but it was possible to walk in the roof top garden and appreciate how lovely a setting this would be for a swim later in the season.

The restauarant - the location for breakfast and evening meals is located on the 4th floor and has an outstanding view of Naples. The quality of the breakfast was good, however, this did not fully cater to my husbands tastes and he found the choices quite limiting.

We used the restaurant in the evening and had a lovely meal - the presentation of food was outstanding.

I have nothing nnegative to say about the hotel, although travellers should be aware that Naples suffers from a huge graffitti problem which does spoil the area around the hotel, however, the hotel is ideally located for visiting the main tourist areas including Gallery Umberto, Palazzo Reale etc.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

Myself and partner stayed here on business beginning of the year, part of large group booking for RAI TV. Upon leaving we discovered money had been taken from our safe which could only have been done by somebody with knowledge of what might be in the safe, plus with access to a room key and safe key. Upon reporting the theft, the hotel management were highly dismissive wishing to wash their hands of this incident. We have since discovered that other rooms on the same (fifth floor) have been targetted in the past. This hotel has seen better days.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Sanfrancesco, Management at Hotel San Francesco al Monte, responded to this review, March 15, 2010
Regarding this review, the hotel wish to clarify any aspects of this fact, thata are different of what written.
The guest thata wrote this review, reported the "theft" direct tou our Front Office Manager, at the check out, and he report it to the Management, thata activated alle the control procedures to verify what really happened, after this double check, did not came up any irregularity.
There was by the way, any differencesc between what declared by the guests at the Front Office Manager, and what declared fron them to the management, either by phone that by mail.
After that we asked the guest to make a report directly to the police office, but this report was never made.
Despite what is written in this review, no other episodes like this, happened in our hotel.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Unfortunately, the reviews about the noise with parties are accurate. The first 2 nights (Saturday and Sunday) there were no events, but the last night (Monday of all things) there was a party in the 4th floor restaurant with loud music until midnight and then another hour and a half of noise as the partiers loudly spilled into the hall and waited for the small elevator to take them (perhaps 6 at a time) to their floor.
Otherwise the best features were the fantastic views from the room and the restaurant, the nice front staff, and the convenient location ( 1-2 stops on the nearby funicolare to shopping and sites). The breakfast (cheese, bread, cold meats, cereals, fruit, yogurt) was very good and the coffee was excellent. The basic room was small but clean. I had no problems with hot water in the shower. The bed was very firm. The mini fridge with bottled water and soft drinks was a nice touch. It was off season for the pool.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel San Francesco al Monte? Share your experiences!