“Do not stay here!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #117 of 188 Hotels in Naples
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Do not stay here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

We stayed at this hotel whilst on tour with Archers, our group was 25 people and we stayed for 3 nights.
The hotel is in an awful part of the city, the immediate locality is very run down, the streets are full of litter and discarded items of clothing and furniture. We felt an after dinner stroll was out of the question. The hotel its self was adequate for a tour hotel, the basis rooms were fairly clean and we slept well. The breakfasts were good and the warm danish pastries were a treat. The evening meals were adequate, drinks were served from a trolley brought to the table but the trolley only made it to our table one night. The 'bar' in the corner of the restaurant was completely unstocked except for a wine fridge with a limited selection and very little seating. The staff were unfriendly and rude and everything was too much trouble. Getting them to serve an after dinner drink was difficult and quite honestly not worth the trouble. One night a waiter accidentally dropped a glass the floor, he kicked the broken glass to the side and it was still there the following morning at breakfast. The attitude of the staff overall was terrible and I have written to Best Western but as expected received only a stock reply.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed at this hotel as part of our tour with Cosmos. The hotel is actually bigger than it looks from the outside. There is a nice big pool on one of the floors and free internet. Negatives: The rooms were fairly decent except there was a big window in the bathroom and I was concerned about peepers, but didn’t come across any thankfully. The elevators only accommodate 3 persons or 2 with luggage. The bellmen took forever with our luggage. Granted there were only 2 of them, but over an hour later, we still didn’t have our luggage. My husband had to get them himself and as the lifts take so long and only hold 3, he took the stairs- to the 4th floor! The location is a bit questionable. It looks like the ghetto part of Naples. A bit dirty. It is located a good hour from the main part of Naples. Breakfast was alright except the coffee really did taste and look like crude oil! Can’t say I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010
Mons, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay. The staff were very friendly and made my experience enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
carlisle_9
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

I chose this because I wanted a convenient base from which to sightsee in Naples and also to have a pool for the evenings. Everyone was very nice and the room was clean but there were ants in the room and the bathroom flooded every time the bathtub drained. It was boiling hot and although the hallways were nice and cool, the room air conditioner never made it to below tepid, although tepid was welcome. The refrigerator didn't work. The pool is lovely, but it closes at 7:45pm and an uncomfortable bathing cap is required, this is pretty much a standard rule throughout the area as far as I understand, but it does suck out the fun of the pool, and also, the pool is CLOSED every Monday, all day, even on the hottest days imaginable (so it can rest) , and so is the shuttle, which is handy but limited to one trip per day into the city, except on Mondays.

The neighborhood is safe and the people are nice, but there is nothing going on and it is too far away from the city to be convenient for sightseeing. I paid a very low price, 68 Euros per night, but I would pay a little more and stay someplace like in the Chaia district, Spaccanapoli or Mergellina areas in the future, so I could enjoy the fabulous, stunning city of Naples fully the next time. I would have selected "below average" had this been a choice, rather than "poor." The ants make the place totally unacceptable, like they have never heard of an exterminator.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Norfolk, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed four nights at the Best Western San Germano. The hotel is undergoing some minor exterior renovation at present, but we weren't disturbed by this work at all. The staff were very friendly (especially Maria and Luigi). Breakfast was included in the price we paid and was a continental buffet style, which was always well presented and included cereals, fruit, yoghurts, cheese, hams, eggs, fresh bread rolls, muffins and more. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening, as we ate elsewhere on our daily travels. Rooms were very clean, with excellent bed and bath linen, and the cheerful staff really took great care of our room. There was a good air conditioning system and window blinds to screen out the sun if needed. We had a balcony with a view of Vesuvius and the sea from our room (when the mist cleared!!). Our car was locked behind a security gate each evening for us. Didn't get a chance to look around the local area, as we just used the hotel as a base. We had a few technical problems with our car and the hotel staff took it to the main dealer to get it fixed for us! Overall, we were happy that we received good value for money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

After 18 month arrived again to this hotel.Very clean and big rooms, front desk very helpfull expecially Stefano, poor breakfast for a 4 stars hotel, the 2 guys from the restaurant forgot how to serve the guests

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Naples
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

My job assigned me to live and work in Italy for 3 years. In the process of finding temporary lodging, I randomly selected the San Germano, which turned out to be walking distance from my place of work. Fate could not have been kinder to me. For the next 2.5 months, the San Germano hotel was my home and the staff became family. My room was always cleaned while my privacy and personal belongings were respected and secure. Breakfast was always prompt and consisted of a variety of fresh fruits, breads, juices and pastries to satisfied the taste of the most discerning travelers. Dinner at sundown was provided by a friendly staff that went to any lenght to make certain I was satisfied. The restuarant provided a menu that consisted of various fish, pastas and fresh vegetables that left me eager to dine the next day. There are many excellent restuarants near the hotel, but none could compare to the service, ambience and professionalism which is what made my stay at the San Germano a glorious experience. During the summer months, the exotic flowers and snow white canopy near the sparkling clear pool was the center-piece of my stay. The chiefs tease your taste buds continually. If it were possible for me to live at the San Germano all the while I am assigned to Italy, I would have.

• Liked — The Friendly and Professional Staff
  • Disliked — I had to leave
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN San Germano? Share your experiences!