“Beautiful views but dated” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #52 of 188 Hotels in Naples
Paris, France
“Beautiful views but dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about this hotel. We just returned from 4 days in Naples to meet with a group of friends so the hotel had been selected for all of us by the organizer. The location is beautiful and if you select a room with a water view you will see the Castel Dell'Ovo along with boats and the harbor which you can enjoy from your private balcony. The hotel has a buffet style breakfast that is open from 7-10:30 which serves hot and cold items and great cappuccino. However, one thing that you will notice is that there are 2 Royal Continental Hotels right next to each other and if you are booked in the older building be prepared to see cracks on the walls, tired and dated furniture along with carpeting that has seen better days. I asked the front desk to please move us to the newer building and it was a definite improvement--parquet floors and newer everything else. We were comfortable during the remainder of our stay but if we hadn't changed rooms I would have been very uncomfortable. A last point that I want to mention is that on the hotel's web site it states that bus 151 stops in front of the hotel-- this is not the case, so if you are planning on using public transportation the stop at Piazza Vittoria is a 5 minute walk.

Room Tip: Water view as they all have private balconies.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Department at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Mrs. Sara,

I really thank you to take time to share with all of us your review concerning your last stay in Naples.

The position and the view from our roof pool and sea side rooms are effectively a good reason to choose the Royal Continental hotel for a stay in Naples.
If you decide to come back during the winter season you will be surprised about the stunning sunset viewed from your balcony!

However, I apologies if your first impressions were not so positive regarding the room and I am happy to read that our staff had the possibility to move you in another one that met your expectations.

Finally, I have checked on our website and you’re right! Our marketing department will shortly modify this information.

I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Yours, Sincerely,

Alexandre Lebrat
Sales Department
Royal Group hotels & resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Used to staying at the Hotel Excelsior but unable to on this trip due to almost zero vacancy, I booked a room at the Royal Continental hoping for a nice substitution. From the moment I walked into the very warm lobby (temperature wise, that is), I had serious doubts about my choice. The lobby was large, hot, noisy, impersonal, and staffed with receptionists who kept interrupting each other as they were checking in guests. The questions and comments of the fellow receptionists took priority over the guests being checked in. I call this rude.

My room was supposed to be an air conditioned superior room with a queen bed, bathtub, a balcony with sea view, and wi-fi access. I was sent to a superior room with 2 single beds and a shower. I turned around and went back to the reception desk and requested reassignment to a room that matched my reservation. They granted my request.

The second room had a queen bed, a tub/shower, a balcony with sea view. The air conditioner on high did not put out enough cool air to even call it an air conditioner. Further, it made so much noise, and so much erratic noise, it was impossible to sleep. Given the warm temperature outside, the exceptionally easy balcony access from one room to the next, and the street noise, leaving the balcony door open all night was not an option. The Wi-Fi did not work. The glass shower guard did not prevent water from ending up on the floor, even though I was careful with the direction the shower hose was held. It took one of the large bath towels on the floor to sop up the mess.

Most of the employees had the attitude of being imposed upon.

On the morning of my departure (at 4.15 a.m.), I went to reception with my two suitcases to check out. The receptionist was on his phone when I walked up to the desk. He finished his call within 2 minutes. He ended his call and without a word, looked at me questioningly. In Italian, I said good morning and told him that I would like to check out. The only words he uttered were to ask me if I wanted to charge the stay to the Visa card number on my reservation. Once he had my answer, without a word, he put two forms in front of me to sign. I signed them. He gave me a receipt and that was the end. No other words from him AT ALL.

The next time I even think I'll be staying in Naples, I will make my reservation at the Hotel Excelsior. I won't wait and then be stuck having to find an alternative.

THIS WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE ALL THE WAY AROUND!

Room Tip: I would choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor your review regarding your stay at the Royal Continental hotel.

I am deeply sorry to read about the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations.
However, I am surprised about your review concerning the staff attitude as it is indeed not reflecting the usual level of service we are used to deliver to our valuable guests.
Be sure all your comments have been forwarded to the head of services concerned.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back for a future stay in Naples.

Yours, Sincerely,

Alexandre Lebrat
Sales Department
Royal group hotels & resorts
Naples
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

What can I say? The hotel is clean, noise free, excellent staff with nothing to much trouble. On this visit we booked B&B & did not use the restaurant for evening meal (there are lots of places to eat nearby). The best value for money hotel that we have used in our many trips to Italy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We loved this hotel and its location, with a couple of caveats. The first room they put us in reeked of smoke, the doors to the terrace were broken, and the walls were filthy.

The second room was much nicer, if dated. But the location is great, and the view is great, and the hotel is a an excellent value with a good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Amman, Jordan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was attending an academic conference in Naples and the organizers have chosen this nice hotel on the port side of Naples as a venue for the conference. As it was my first visit to Naples, my husband accompanied me and we initially, booked a classic double room for 5 nights. After checking in we noticed that the sink in the bathroom was blocked, the entrance light went off and the balcony door could not be opened. When we reported this to Mr. Vitale, the Front Office Manager, he thankfully promised to solve the problem and upgraded us to a nice Superior double room without extra charge. The room was clean and has a fantastic view from the balcony facing the amazing Castle dell’Ovo. The hotel has a great location on a pedestrianized street where you can have a nice walk in the evening then enjoy dinner at one of many surrounding restaurants. The staff of the hotel was kind and helpful, but sometimes, we felt that they need to be more focused with customers. However, we appreciate them being busy most of the time. I recommend this hotel and sure I would like to stay in it again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

A nice hotel right on the port in Naples, myself and my boyfriend stayed here for three nights mid September. Location was one of the best in Naples, nice pedestrianized street in front of the hotel with good restaurants and a wine bar. Good amenities in the hotel having a pool and gym and strong WIFI in rooms (free for first 24 hours) To be honest though regardless of how nice the hotel was we will never return to Naples again, this city is sooo rough!! smashed windows, really dodgy characters on all corners, not a patch on the other places we visited in our trip (Pisa, Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Capri) Our kind bed and breakfast owner in Florence actually told us not to dress nice whist in Naples!! Dress down or you will be robbed if you look like you have money. We didn't feel safe at all. If you are wanting to visit the fanastic sites near by (Pompeii, Amalfi coast etc) my advice would be pay a little extra and stay in Sorrento, we wish we had done!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Beautiful hotel on the port side of Naples. Gorgeous view from our balcony. Nice to take walks at anytime but especially at night along the Bay of Naples. Great pizza at Antonio Antonio. Shopping a few blocks away at all the big name stores and a smaller boutiques. Took guided tour on bus to Pompeii and drive to Amalfi coast. 8 Hours turned into 11 hours. Again Pompeii was disapponting,don't waste your time. go to Archelogical Museum that is where everything they found is located

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal Continental Hotel? Share your experiences!