“Lovely hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aus
“Lovely hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a very nice hotel, the room and bathroom are new and even though we had a balcony the room was very quiet . If you are a family of four, we booked two rooms and the hotel provided interconnecting rooms, which meant we had two bathrooms, very handy. We enjoyed staying here, the breakfast is fine but like other reviewers have noted, service can be slow . Location wise it's very central,close to the historic centre and walking distance to Via Tribunali. This city is crazy and dirty but we loved it and next time we are staying longer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
St julien en g
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very nice. The room we had was very comfortable. They even have all the French channels on tv. Free shuttles for the city center every hours. But you can also just walk around. The negative points for us were that the wifi was not free in the rooms and they have no shuttles that pick you up at the airport. They are very friendly at the reception and in the restaurant. The breakfast was very good too.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

If you must stay in Naples stay here - lovely place in a real dive. I consider myself a traveller - been about a bit and seen a fair bit of the world. Naples is a hole, there must be a few nice areas though in three nights we failed to spot them. I am not saying there were a nice restaurants, people etc its just that the city is a slum........dirty is not the word. Anyway the shinning light was this hotel, lovely rooms, food, ambiance it has the lot - apart from the reception staff who must have thought that the actual "job" was beneath them. All other staff were brilliant, maids, cleaners, waiters all of them were over and above in their work. If you are the manager / owner of this lovely hotel do yourself a favour and round up your staff in the basic jobs and train them to be reception and management staff - they will not let you down and will hopefully sort out this problem. First impressions last!

Room Tip: Upgrade - worth it. We had Room 200 which was on its own floor!
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Normally stay at Hilton hotels but went for this in Naples as there were no Hiltons. The hotel was lovely. Service, room, breakfast all great. Wish I had stayed more than one night but will go back to see the bits of Naples I missed.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The hotel is very near to the old town, 5 minutes walk to Tribunalli and 15 minutes walk to the Garibaldi Train station where you can take the local train to Pompeii. Agreed with others that the surrounding of the hotel is not brilliant however that applied to majority of Naples, however people are friendly. The hotel room is clean, modern and comfortable. Internet charge was €7 per stay, beware that if there are 2 of you using the internet at the same time you may need to purchase 2 access codes because only one access code could be use on any equipment at any one time. Staff in the hotel is helpful and a shuttle is provided to take customer to the port area but the timing for the shuttle is limited.

The only let down was the breakfast in the restaurant. 2 out of 3 morning, they were running out of hot food and had to wait more than 20 minutes for it replenish one of the morning and service was slow. Also quality of the coffee varies from one morning to another. I would not pay for the breakfast if it has not been included in the room rate. Go to Tribunalli for food as there are plenty of good pizzeria and restaurant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here as part of Cosmos group coach tour.
Great hotel, best of the tour, but not in a great part of town.
Room was big, doors opened onto a lovely terrace overlooking a central courtyard. Bed was wonderfully comfortable, bathroom shower was incredable. Staff were very helpful and obliging.
Breakfast was pretty good, but however,only then. felt as if we shouldnt be in amoungst "other" hotel guests.
However not likely to return to naples again, but enjoyed the experience of staying at this hotel.

Oceanside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is based on a one night stay in Naples. We were just flying in and out of Naples for an Amalfi coast holiday and wanted to stay our last night here to catch an early flight and to try their famed pizza, that's noted as being "the best in the world" (and yes, yes, it is). The hotel itself is grande. It seems as if a modern, metro hotel were built over castle ruins, with the gargantuan wooden doors that open into it and the atrium gardens/courtyards within. The room itself was stellar. From the ultra soft bedding and incredibly comfortable mattresses (most of the hotels we stayed at before this one had rock hard mattresses, so this part was just awesome) to the high quality, monogrammed robes and slippers in the bathroom which had two sinks and plenty of counter space. We booked a "Superior room" which had a nice view overlooking one of the courtyards. There's a bar down the steps from reception where the lowly bartender kept watch over it and any of the customers hanging out in the well decorated atrium area. All of that was a hit. Where it missed was on the service. There were some, well huh, it just hit me...all of the men (the porter, the security guards, the waiter, the fellow who made the at-your-door wake up call and the guy at reception as we checked out) were warm and accommodating, but the women (most, not all mind you) seemed annoyed and just a bit condescending like in that episode of Ab Fab when Eddy has the run in with the snooty shop girl. Yup, just like that, "Madame..(teeth grit, jaw clenched through bright lipstick smile as she points to a seemingly unintelligible map) it's very simple." To a certain extent I get it. The woman in front of me was nearly hysterical because the hotel's restaurant was booked solid and she and her husband didn't want to venture out into the scary city again after an apparently disastrous attempt the night before. She wasn't the only guest who responded that way and if I had to listen to that every day I'd clench my jaw, grit teeth, then quit and move to the countryside. I didn't quite get it. Did I miss the story about travelers being targeted and shived in the streets of Naples? I know you have to be careful and not leave your bag or wallet exposed, but this hotel is right next to the historical centre so there are plenty of lights and people roaming about. It's no scarier than walking around in Manhattan at night and yet people seem terrified as if these women were sending them off to almost certain death. I even got a little nervous based on the vibe around me, but we did venture out that afternoon. We even got a little lost on the way back and found the hotel just as it was getting dark without anything bad happening (other than nearly stepping in some dog doo on the sidewalk, ew). I didn't get to try the hotel's restaurant (or breakfast, because we left too early), but we did ask for some mozzarella to go with our wine from the bar. The wine was great, but the cheese was stale and salty like the stuff we'd get at the supermarket back home. After the Amalfi coast we were pretty spoiled for fresh foods though, so who knows. I think if they had a concierge desk manned by a compassionate person dedicated to gently walking guests through the area maps, order taxis and make reservations for them, and if they beefed up the bar area with more staff and a solid list of apps to satisfy those who couldn't get into their restaurant, don't want to venture outside the walls or are just in the mood for solid apps and a drink, they'd fare much better in their ratings. That, and don't ala carte the internet access. I'd rather just pay a few dollars more when I book the room than find out after I get checked into my room that I have to ask for (they didn't offer upon check in) and then pay extra to have that widely requested feature. Would I stay again? I'm not sure, but if I did, I'd know to request the wireless in the room upgrade upon check-in and I'd ask them to skip the part where a lady knocks on your door with a fancy printout of tomorrow's weather forecast then stands there waiting for a tip. It's just strange and a waste of good paper. One last note, if you're looking to pick up a cute outfit for a kid, there's a cool shop (go out of the hotel and to the left a few blocks and on your left) where you can get great outfits for under 10 euro. I can't remember the name, but you can't miss it with its glass front and kids' clothing on display. Not the touristy "I love Italy" clothes, but real clothes for Italian kids, like sparkly shirts that say "ladybug" in Italian on them. Also in walking distance is the famed (eat, pray, love) Pizzeria Da Michele (as well as a couple others) and well worth the big, scary walk to and from "the Castle". You know, as I think back again on the room...the gentle knock on the door (waking me from a well rested sleep), the phenomenal food and shopping we experienced just within walking distance and the porter insisting on making us a fresh shot of espresso (on the house) before we left at the crack of dawn...yes. Yes, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ours was third floor which was great, but ask to not have a corner room or you'll be viewing the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!