“Very disappointing experience!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 365 Naples B&B and Inns
Napoli
“Very disappointing experience!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We made a reservation at Bed and Breakfast Medea based on the wonderful reviews as well as the internet description indicating, direct cut and paste from their web site "Our B&B has three charming and well-furnished rooms, equipped in every single detail and with the best services and comforts of a 5 star hotel.

Secondly, each room leads into an amazing terrace from which you can almost touch the cloister of Saint Chiara church, famous all over the world for the sound of its bells."

Having been based in Napoli for 4 months, we were very familiar with the neighbourhood and having recently moved to another region for the summer, we required a place to stay to meet friends in Napoli . I booked the room directly through the B and B Medea web site and received email confirmation from B and B Medea. We found the place easily and were greeted warmly by the owner/manager(?) who welcomed us and took our breakfast orders. We were then led to our room (which was in a direction away from where the other rooms seemed to be located)and I was disappointed as it was very basic, faded and did not overlook any terrace that I could perceive.(see photos) I'm not particularly demanding as a guest and the price was reasonable so I didn't say anything immediately. The host left and I began to look around noticing that the bedspread was old and stained, there was mildew/mould i.e. black stains all around the shower, there were a few hairs left in the shower and the in-room fridge didn't seem to be working.
We approached the owner/manager about the fact that we didn't think this was the type of room we were booking and he said that the rooms overlooking the terrace were generally reserved for those staying more than one night. I pointed out that the web site and the brochures (which were sitting there in the lobby) all stated that "all rooms" overlook the terrace. I checked the descriptions in both english and Italian and they both stated this fact. He offered to serve us breakfast on the terrace in the morning but I tried to communicate that it wasn't simply the fact that we didn't have a terrace/terrace view but that the room was absolutely not as advertised. We left, having a small child who was getting restless and feeling as though we were getting nowhere. Upon return to the room later, I noticed that there was a sign saying "B and B Nike" which I hadn't noticed before. I approached the evening staff member who was very sweet and she indicated that both B and Bs were the same. I explained my disappointment and she tried to think of reasons for our room assignment, suggesting that maybe all the terrace rooms had been booked. Although she was very helpful, my primary concern is that this B and B is representing "ALL" of it's rooms in a specific way (overlooking a terrace, comfort of a 5-star hotel) and that is not what we received. The following morning, IU had to leave early to meet a friend and the owner was welcoming with respect to breakfast , insisting I eat on the terrace. I can confirm that the room we crossed through to access the terrace was quite nice, and that the terrace is lovely. This actually made me feel worse, in that I realized what we were missing in being assigned a different class of room. I think it's entirely unacceptable to advertise one type of room and then to present a guest with an entirely different type of room, which seemed to be attached to a different B and B (B and B Nike?)The owner/manager was well aware of our disappointment and offered a discount on the price, 55 euro instead of 65 euro, which we accepted, but I would never go back to this B and B nor would I recommend it to friends or family. I believe that this sort of treatment of travellers is exploitative and completely unfair. The same week we stayed at the wonderful B and B Carafa Di Maddaloni, which is nearby and received exceptional service in beautiful, historic and elegant rooms and we paid 75 euro per night.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

A very good Bed and breakfast. In the heart of Centro Storico, clean and spacious room, nice terrace, great service. Angelo, the receptionist comes to your room at arrival and tells you everything you want to know about Naples. We recommend the shuttletaxi from the airport. When we visit Naples again we definitely stay in Medea again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Niteroi, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

I drove around for literally FOUR HOURS and couldn't find it. I take it doesn't exist at all. Still, I was charged the full rate with the justification that I didn't show up. I am absolutely outraged with the treatment I received and DO NOT RECOMMEND it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012
Vancouver BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed at Bed and Breakfast Medea in May 2010. We had 2 rooms as our daughter decided to come to Naples with us. Our room with a double bed was spotlessly clean and quite spacious - the bathroom while clean was very tiny and hot water was a bit of a hit and miss affair. Our daughter's room was small with an even tinier bathroom but again it was clean. Both rooms opened out to a large terrace where we would have breakfast. The terrace faces west so it gets the afternoon sun and can get pretty hot.
Breakfast is nothing special, you can have a pastry and either a coffee or a glass of orange juice. We solved that problem by buying a carton juice and keeping it in the fridge. In any case there are many cafes within a few minutes walk that serve great pastries and wonderful espresso.
The location of the B&B Medea is fantastic - right in the heart of Spaccanapoli. You can walk all over Naples from here and there's so much to see along Via Benedetto Croce. Even though there were crowds on the streets it was quiet in the room and the owners are very strict about guests being very quiet after 10:00pm. If others were on the terrace at night we didn't hear them at all.
The only thing I would caution people about is that there are about 5 flights of stairs to climb and no elevator - so if you have difficulty with stairs it's not the place for you. The hotel describes itself as 5 star luxury - it isn't - but it is a good budget priced place to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Bed and Breakfast Medea? Share your experiences!