“Millionaire's playground without breaking the bank!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Tosca

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Capri
Hotel La Tosca
You added Hotel La Tosca to your Saves list
Via Dalmazio Birago 5, 80073 Capri, Island of Capri, Italy   |
Special Offer
Special Spring Promotion
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Capri
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Millionaire's playground without breaking the bank!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

To STAY in Capri is an affordable luxury at Hotel La Tosca! Well-located just off the main walks with an incomprehensible view of Il Faraglioni from the terrace. We were welcomed with a cold beverage and a room upgrade :) The owner, Ettore, was extremely accommodating and suggested restaurants ( which were awesome!), a picnic I will never forget, and made all arrangements for luggage transport back to the port. Room was immaculate and updated with private terrace (stars at night, not to be missed!) Wonderful breakfast included fresh pastries and unlimited cappuccino. Simply lovely.

Room Tip: We stayed in #47. Room with a view is worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

La Tosca is an enchanting little place--better than I had imagined. It is perfectly situated, not too far from the main square, with an excellent view of the sea.

The hotel itself is nice, but (as other travelers have noted) the main advantage of staying here is being able to benefit from the knowledge and helpfulness of the owner/your host, Ettore. Before I even made a reservation, I was immediately impressed with how thorough, prompt, and helpful he was in providing information via email. (He speaks perfect English, which is a plus for those of us still perfecting our Italian.)

While in the reservation process, I requested a room with a patio view of the sea. I was told a room with a view was not available during my stay, but that I was welcome to enjoy the communal balcony space (where breakfast is served) at any time of day--this was a perfect compromise. My husband and I had brought some wine with us and enjoyed a glass on the balcony while enjoying the view. We only had plastic cups (an injustice to the wine); when Ettore noticed this, he brought wine glasses without being asked.

A few days before our impending arrival, Ettore sent me an email with instructions regarding how to get from the port to the hotel. (The funicolare is the best option.) This was extremely helpful.

Some travelers have stated that their rooms were small. I didn't find this to be the case. European hotel rooms tend to be smaller than American hotel rooms, but our room at La Tosca was comfortable and the self-controlled air conditioner worked very well. The room was very clean and the shower worked well--good water pressure and plenty of hot water. There was no TV in the room, but I wasn't interested in watching TV, so I did not view this as an issue. The bed, perhaps, could have been a bit more comfortable, but I had no problems sleeping. I loved how quiet the hotel was. With Capri being a "walking town," there's no noisy traffic to keep you up at night.

A very simple breakfast (coffee and pastries) is included with your stay--you get to take in that amazing view while you eat.

Ettore helped us arrange the perfect Grotta Azzura trip, recommended dining options, and checked the ferry schedule for us--I think he understood my itinerary better than I did. Capri can be a difficult town to navigate without the wisdom of a local. I was very grateful we had made the choice to stay at La Tosca. Perfect for romance at a great value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Very nice hotel quiet and perfectly located ,rooms very nice and clean ,Ettori the owner will give you all tricks of how and what to visit in this beautiful island ,I specially liked the relaxing breakfast terrace with the sea view ,I will definately visit the same place on my next Capri tour

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We spent two nights at La Tosca and it made our trip to Capri. The location was great and the views beautiful, but the most important part was Ettore. He was more than incredibly helpful! We had only one full day and he helped us plan a day full of everything we wanted to do - and added hidden gems that we never would have found! He mapped it, gave us times, food suggestions and more. He went above and beyond and we appreciated every bit of it!

I will now definitely go back to Capri, stay at La Tosca and leave the itinerary up to Ettore!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I booked a one night stay at this hotel based on the reviews others have left on Tripadvisor. However, we were disappointed with the room and the service. My sister and I shared a twin room that was no larger than a utility closet. I caught a glimpse of another room as I was walking to our closet room and it was about 4 times the size of the room we had. One of the gentlemen at the reception area commented when we were checking in that one night one can sleep anywhere. It made me think that they intentionally assigned this room to us because our stay was for just one night. One of the hotel staff was nice enough to bring my sister an icepack for her knee which she had hurt prior to arriving in Capri. I think that was the only nice thing I can say about the service.

We asked for a recommendation for dinner and they recommended Bucca de Baco. What they neglected to tell us was that we needed a reservation to dine there. They also did not offer to make a reservation when we asked for the recommendation. We ended up eating at Ristorante Al Grottino which was very busy as well but managed to accommodate us.

I asked the front desk if they would print a ticket for a train reservation and instead they sent us to a travel agency in town where we were charged a service fee for booking the reservation and printing the tickets.

The hotel is located in a nice part of the island with very nice views and close to the botanical gardens but I will not consider staying there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Morris Plains, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We spent 3 nights at La Tosca and were thrilled with the room, the location, the views and especially the assistance of Ettore. He recommended and mapped out a walking tour of several sites on the eastern coast of Capri including restaurant recommendations, and arranged a boat tour around the island and trip into the blue grotto. We would not have managed to fit all of these activities into our time without his assistance. Close to Piazza Umberto, Certosa Di San Giacomo, and Carthusia Perfumes. View of the Certosa and Faraglioni from the terrace! Highly recommended. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any rooms that do not have a lovely view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

This place was sensational and considering the island and it's location it's great value for money.

Breakfast could have done with fruit, it's not badly done but fruit would be an ideal addition.

In the rooms, no fridge is also a let down, these (especially in the climate) are needed.

Otherwise very helpful (Ettore was a sensational host) very clean and a lovely place to stay on the island of Capri.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Hotel La Tosca? Share your experiences!