“tiny room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 96 hotels in Sorrento
Brisbane, Australia
“tiny room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great location close to main square, shops, restaurants and trainstation, but rooms are very small and compact. Definitely not suitable for
a group of 3 in a triple share room. Breakfast was basic. Staff were very helpful!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Hotel was central and although on a main street very little noise. It was central to the bus and train station The staff were very supportive and helpful.
The room although a little small was adequate. As we were staying for a week more storage space would have been useful. There was no noise from other residents even thought the room was next to the lift.
I would recommend liaising with the hotel direct for the best deal. If booking via an online site be aware that breakfast is probably not included.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I rely often on the Tripadvisor reviews when choosing a hotel and that's how I chose Sorrento City. This time, however, it was a huge mistake: tiny rooms where one may barely move, poorly isolated - you often feel as if being in your neighbors’ room (you may as well be tempted to participate in their conversation...), not particularly clean (I saw a recent review mentioning ants - my bathroom had them as well; fortunately I did not find any on my bed), staff very unfriendly, a number of messages pasted here and there starting with ‘it is forbidden to…’ making you feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, poor overpriced breakfast, the breakfast tablecloths (probably in order not to be changed daily...) covered with transparent greasy plastic covers. I could go on but I guess these already give an idea. I travel both for work and for leisure at least 6-7 times a year and this was my worst hotel experience ever. I wonder by what mean Sorrento City got such a high rating(?).
Anyway - I learned that I need to double-check the lowest rating reviews before booking.

Room Tip: Check carefully the lowest rating reviews!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
sorrentocity, Direttore at Hotel Sorrento City, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Sir, when I read your review about the hotel Sorrento City, my reaction was great astonishment! Not for your disappointing , it is your right to appreciate or not the hotel where you are going to stay and you choose it thanks to all the other customers reviews. All of them are now in opposition to your opinion...In any case we write some advices in order to prevent our customers safety, for the example in the breakfast room it is forbidden the use of the oven , as it is dangerous ! You could burn or take high voltage electricity! it is in fact just used by the staff for preparing fresh breakfast every morning… Our breakfast has fresh cakes, muffins, a big variety of season fruit (like Sorrento oranges, peaches, water melon, plums) , four different kinds of bread, croissants, corn flakes, muesli, cheese, ham etc etc etc
Regarding my staff and cleanness I prefer to reply with all the other reviews
Best regards
Roberta Di Leva
Hotel Manager
Nj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Great location, walk to bus and train, main square, shopping. Well lit street. By tiny, I mean there are only a few inches between the bed and table. You have to turn your body sideways to get to the bathroom. There is no dresser, only a closet. Even though you don't spend a lot of time in the room, it's very inconvenient when you are in it. We rented 2 rooms. One of them #102 had ants all 4 days that we were there. The management is aware of this problem and sprayed everyday but it did not help. The 2nd room#204 did not have ants. breakfast was very good and varied each day.
Great restaurant nearby.

Ocean, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed in Hotel Sorrento City for 4 days. Arrived late at night and they had no one to bring our suitcases up to the room. The room was very small and barely had any place to move around once we brought in our suitcases. But that was not the bad part. Our room had ants! On our bed, in the shower and on the night table. Every time we told the front desk, they said they would take care of it when we left the room for the day. But every time we came back to the room, the ants were still there. We lived with the ants for 4 days. When we finally checked out we asked if they could do something about the bill to compensate us for our troubles. We were told to speak with the manager, who was not available. After 15 minutes of arguing they took off the 2 bottles of water that we had charged to the room. A total of 1.60 euros!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay in Hotel Sorrento City...they have ants!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
sorrentocity, Direttore at Hotel Sorrento City, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear ladies, I exactly remember your stay at the hotel Sorrento City, I apologize if no one bring you up your suite cases upon your arrival, but, it is something not available in a three star hotel, even if we always help our customers when we can.....
As it regards the size of your room, I cannot understand your complain as the hotel gave you a nice room , with a balcony , facing the main avenue and square, standard size of our hotel room.
I am the hotel manager, and you always asked me about ants in room, the only room in the whole hotel that had this problem! I came in your room many times ,and we soon provide to clean it and sprayed insecticide!
I promise to myself to take a picture of the number of ants in your room, no more than three or four!! but you know this was not very serious , and against your privacy....
Unfortunately you continued to leave in room every kind of crumbs, for the whole day,even if the housekeeping, had a special interest for your problem, so that she entered in it once again before leaving the hotel .

Regarding our cleaning i just invite you to have look of all the other reviews

Hoping to have you here again
Best regards
Roberta Di Leva
hotel manager
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Despite having a confirmed booking through booking.com we were told on arrival that the hotel was overbooked and had no room for us. No attempt was made to contact us prior to arrival. We were told we had been booked instead into a sister hotel in a different part of town.

Previous reviewers have had the same experience so it appears to be a deliberate policy to overbook a well rated property to fill a less popular one owned by the same management.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel was on our group tour and we were here two nights. Lovely hotel, clean and stylish. Staff really went out of their way to provide excellent service.
Breakfast was very good with a nice variety. I loved the bathrooms, baloncies and location

Room Tip: Close to attractions, restaurants, shopping and train station (no noise)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Sorrento City? Share your experiences!