“Brilliant!! Top end 3*** hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Tourist
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso Italia 315, 80067 Sorrento, Italy   |
Ranked #81 of 96 Hotels in Sorrento
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!! Top end 3*** hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks from the end of July - August in a 5th floor,pool facing room with balcony.Our room was more than adequate for our needs,it was well serviced on a daily basis by a friendly maid.Air conditioning was excellent as temperatures exceeded 40 degrees Celsius for several days.The bed had a firm mattress, which was very comfortable. The balcony gave us good views across the mountains. Hot water was readily available & our towels were changed daily.
Breakfast was a combination of continental style & a choice of a few cooked items which we found perfectly acceptable.The waiters were experienced & efficient & although not fluent in English were helpful & welcoming.Evening meals were available & the restaurant always appeared busy although we did not use it ourselves.
The reception staff were friendly ,welcoming & readily gave us information when asked.They were very sympathetic when we arrived minus our luggage due to problems at Gatwick & willingly received it allowing us not to waste time waiting at the hotel for it.
The pool was well maintained to a very high standard,set in delightful gardens,One of the best hotel pools we've seen in a 3*** hotel.
The location was brilliant, easy access to Circumvesuviana train/bus station,no more than a level 10 minute stroll away. Tasso Square was a further 5 minute walk.
We would definately recommend the hotel to friends & family & would stay again.
A big thank you to all staff for making our stay so pleasant.

Room Tip: 5th floor,rear facing room is quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner have just returned from sorrento having stayed at this wonderful hotel! We went for a wedding and there was many that came along and after speaking with everybody I think we chose the best hotel! The room was great! Very clean and the cleaner was lovely even gave us a big hug when we were leaving! The pool was also impressive and some of my friends joined me here as there hotels pool was not as nice. There is a lovely waiter that is always there to serve you drinks or food. All the staff were really friendly and it really made our holiday we were really impressed! I am horrified at some of the comments on here I dont understand how anybody wouldnt enjoy! I recommend this hotel to anybody the location is perfect and its a beautiful hotel :-)

• Stayed August 2013
Filey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel and liked it. Good genuine family orientated staff who aren't stiff necked like you find in some hotels, neither are they patronising or gushing but normals Joes. The hotel has nice clean rooms, good food,excellent swimming pool, good free internet access, great room balcony from which you can watch the busy Sorrento night life. The drinks were also quite reasonably priced and I certainly hope to go back there some day. Some maniac's review below carried on about a young waiter's suit being too big for him. Well what if it was, perhaps he's not really a professional waiter but someone working their way through University and learning the trade therefore he wears what he can afford or can get his hands on, like most of us making our way in the world at his age. Better a loose jacket than a stuffed shirt! If you are looking for the Hilton, with everybody bowing and scraping and being condescending then this isn't the hotel for you. The hotel receptionist might be a bit laid back, but in a nice way. Judging by the amount of tips I saw piled up on the reception desk on the day we left the reception staff must be pleasing somebody, including me. There was also nothing wrong with the mattress, my room looked happy and I enjoyed serving myself at breakfast and going back for seconds. If you are looking for a good, competively price hotel to stay at with genuine staff who have character, nice clean rooms, good food, etc, then this is the hotel for you. PS I might be English but I have stayed hotels all over Europe and this one is a good one.

Ray Moody

Room Tip: If you like to watch the world go by then try for a room at the front of the hotel with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Perugia, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had to stay two nights for work reasons..but I would have checked out immediately if I could have... The rooms are sad looking, the mattress was the worst I've ever experienced...it was bumpy and I found it really hard to sleep.

Breakfast was a farce... everything was so badly organized.. and the young waiter on duty the first morning just looked so miserable to be there and his suit was far too big for him. I felt a little sorry for him but still I felt sorry to be there too.

The staff I met on the desk were lack lustre and one smug looking male receptionist was unhelpful and sarcastic. He made it obvious that he couldn't have given a damn and when we checked out my Italian husband expressed our displeasure but were met with a non-chalant response.

i can see that English people like this hotel and it is only a few minutes walk to the centre, which is useful. I didn't eat there at lunch or dinner time and so it wouldn't be fair to comment upon the quality of the restaurant.

Coffee came from a machine, which an increasing vice now in hotels..the one thing you used to be able to get in Italian hotels was a decent coffee but this is becoming a thing of the past. I couldn't drink mine and barely touched the breakfast 'fare' as it didn't look too fresh... very disappointing experience and most definitely wil not be returning...but 'he' won't care so I won't feel too bad!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
gianpaolo f, Proprietario at Hotel Tourist, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are apologize for the problem.
The waiter caused, bt the high temperatures lost a lot of weight, and so is giacket now is to big for him. We have ask for a new uniform our Taylor. We accept your advice we will help us to improve our already good service. Sorry bur we think your very bad review is excessive rispect to the argoment. For us is very important all suggest or the gustes. The Hotel is driven by myself and my family that work at the desk and none for us sarcastic a customer is absolutely, maeby sometimes ironic right to create a fun environment for customers.
Gianpaolo Fiorentino Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Myself and three others have just come back from a 4 day trip to sorrento to celebrate our friends wedding!
Upon booking this hotel we thought it was good value and would do for the four days we were there!! However when we got there we were all surprised how well we had done! The pictures don't do the hotel justice!!
The location was perfect for us in walking distance of the train station and the centre. The staff were always helpful when we needed it Including the little old man who waits up for you to come back after a night out no matter what time it was!!!
We would recommend this hotel to others as its great value for money and we couldn't ask for more.
We only had breakfast there which was ok maybe need abit more choice. The rooms were always cleaned and the pool area was perfect for the hot days!!

• Stayed July 2013
Filey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have just come back from a fantastic 15 days in Italy, with National Coach Holidays. I read the reviews of the Hotel Tourist and was wondering what we would find when we arrived. What we did find was a fantastic hotel, lovely staff, great food ( the mushroom rissotto was the best I have ever eaten) thanks to a real good chef, a lovely clean pool which was a pleasure to swim in and an all round great experience. It was noisy at the front, but lively, it didnt stop us sleeping and even though it was very hot, the air con worked really well. The hotel was very clean, thanks to Lucy and the team of cleaners, they do a sterling job. Last of all, a million thanks to the waiting staff. You two guys are brilliant and also very funny. At first there were a few problems because we were vegetarian, but once that was sorted out, they and the chef, tried very hard to make it good for us. We though you were great! Thank you. The hotel is in a good position for the railway station, which is easy to use and also a short walk away from the Foreigners Club, which is also a lovely place to go, for a drink or meal and is not expensive. Well done Hotel Tourist, we will be back!

Room Tip: Its noisy, but the higher up the hotel the better. It did'nt stop us sleeping well.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Burnley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

worst hotel ive ever stayed in the hotel staff were very ignorant and never spoke, the food was cooked early then warmed up.thomas cook should ban this hotel..sorrento is a fantastic place to visit and would go again but this hotel is a nono

Room Tip: choose a room at the rear
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
gianpaolo f, Proprietario at Hotel Tourist, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We can't please everyone.
We are apologize that our hotel there liked but how can note we have many other people who have much appriciated our hotel.
We hope to be able to have with you another chance for you to change your mind.. We can ensure thet the food we buy every days and the chef not using the pre-kitchen.
The family hotel conduct to feel at home customers and is very strange thet no staff talking and joking with you.
We wait in hotel and we apologize in all people reding this review.
Gianpaolo Fiorentino

Been to Hotel Tourist? Share your experiences!