“Another Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Sorrento
Portland, Oregon
“Another Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Although it's been 4 years since my last stay it seems like nothing has changed. I have stayed at this hotel several times now and for good reason. With an excellent location, the hotel is full of small, clean, well kept rooms. For what you get and where you are, the prices are outstanding. The staff are great and have always gone out of there way for anything I have ever needed. Gianni runs the place well.

The only complaint I have is that they no longer carry Skye TV. This is a minor inconvenience at worst and I did just fine without it.

i hope to come back when you open in the spring.

~Dennis

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better. Wait and hour and a half or so before going to breakfast so the t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
mickeymouse047, Direttore at Hotel del Mare, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. I am looking forward to welcoming you next Spring.
Gianni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I spent five nights in Sorrento at the Hotel del Mare as a very convenient base for exploring this part of Italy with great bus, train and ferry connections to all the nearby sights. The hotel was excellent with friendly staff, generous breakfasts, clean blue tiled rooms with balconies, modern facilities, etc. Just around the corner at the fisherman's wharf lots of great little open air fish restaurants and a 15 minute scenic uphill walk to the town centre. After years of travel around the world we would definitely return to this little gem.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
mickeymouse047, Direttore at Hotel del Mare, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review that gives a fair impression of the hotel and its surroundings. Please, do come and see us again on your next visit. Thanks a lot.
KInd regards
Gianni
Melbourne,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. Luckily for us we got one of two rooms on the roof, next to the sun deck. The view was great as we're the breakfasts. The location was perfect, away from the crowds but close enough to town. We ate at le Cinque Sorelle restaurant nearby twice and had what we think is the best vongole in all of Southern Italy. The sisters are very funny too.

• Stayed October 2013
mickeymouse047, Direttore at Hotel del Mare, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and the positive overall impression you have had during your short stay in Sorrento.
We look forward to welcome you again should you ever consider to come back to Sorrento, just like our world famous song.
Best regards and Arrivederci
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here for four nights in May at the end of our two week trip in Italy. The hotel was great. The staff was very friendly and we loved the location in Marina Grande, the smaller quieter section of Sorrento. The included breakfast was definitely very good and had a lot of options. This was definitely our favorite hotel from our trip and we would stay here again if we're lucky enough to make it back to Italy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
mickeymouse047, Direttore at Hotel del Mare, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words we are very grateful to you. We wish you the very best of luck for you to come back to Italy and to Sorrento again.
Best regards and Arrivederci.
Gianni Galano -
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I wanted to make a special point to write about our stay at the Hotel Del Mare recently from October 11th and 12th, 2013. On Friday, 10-11-13, we left Rome to head to Sorrento, via Naples, to see Pompeii. This particular day was the 14th day of our 17 day trip throughout Italy. All was going well with traveling by train and bus. We left Rome in the morning and took the fast train to Naples. This train arrived on the upper floor in the Naples station and then we needed to go down a floor to the Circumvesuviana (local train) to travel to Sorrento. I had a back-pack on and was pulling one suitcase while my wife had a bag strapped over her shoulder in front of her and another suitcase. I stopped to buy the train tickets and pulled out my wallet to pay for the tickets (1st mistake) I should have had the cash needed for the train tickets ready and only pulled that out of my pocket, not my entire wallet. Then we found the train platform and we were waiting for the train to come. We had been told to not be to the back of the train due to pick- pockets. There were so many people waiting to get on the train, we could not get to the front of the train. The train came and passed us by, by two cars. We had to run to get to the last door and once we got there, the train was packed full of people, mostly young men, so I pushed my way onto the train. I had my hand on my wallet in my front pocket. When I turned to check on my wife, she was half in and out of the train, she then got pushed, so I let go of my wallet (second mistake), to help her, went back to my wallet and in that split second my wallet was gone. I turned to the young men behind me and demanded my wallet, however they all gave me a blank stare. At that moment, I realized that all of my cash and credit cards were gone (third mistake-always separate your cash and credit cards on yourself and between your wife and yourself). Also, keep your money belt well tucked into your pants - below your naval, with a card and some cash, do not wear it at your stomach level, and keep your shirt tucked in!

We decided to go to Sorrento where the Hotel Del Mare was located and see what we could do. Once there, Giovanni Galano-the owner of the hotel, gave us directions that the credit cards need to be canceled as soon as possible. He allowed us to use his phone multiple times to contact two banks to cancel the cards. (Tip here, have your credit card phone numbers with you) Then he allowed us to still use his phone to process through one of the banks, a Western Union Money Transfer, so we could get some cash. Through the whole process, Giovanni was so very positive and stated multiple times that this has happened to many people who use the train and are not cautious, and that everything will get better. After about 5-6 hours since my credit cards and cash were stolen, I was able to get replacement Euros from a Western Union Rep about 2.5 miles from the hotel. Once back to the hotel, Geovanni was still there checking on us.

We checked into our room and it was great, plenty large for two people and so very clean. We did not over look the water, yet had a small balcony, however the hotel has a beautiful balcony/terrace on the top floor that you can use and look out over the whole lagoon. Breakfast choices every morning were very plentiful and fresh. Due to being away from the main street of Sorrento, the noise was very minimal. The walk from the train station took us about 20 min and was not bad at all. Giovanni’s staff was so very helpful and every time we saw them, they reassured us that all is well. Their service to us was nothing less than being like family members, they truly care about the people who stay with them!

My wife and I would highly recommend the Hotel Del Mare in Sorrento to anyone and we know that Giovanni knows how to give you the best service available in Sorrento!!! To avoid the train issues at the first couple of stops out of Naples, you can take the ferry from Naples to Sorrento, otherwise try to sit in the first car of the train and have credit cards and money divided as stated above. We did take the train back to Naples from Sorrento, and we were in the first car and had no issues at all the entire way. We also took the same train from Sorrento to Pompeii for an afternoon, again with no issues at all.

Scott and Deb

Room Tip: E-mail Giovanni with your desires. He will accommodate the best he can.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
mickeymouse047, Direttore at Hotel del Mare, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
I will not forget easily your distress when you arrived at the hotel. I only did what anybody, with a conscience, would have done, my dearest Scott and Deb. Your description of how people should behave, when they arrive at Naples Railway Station, is just enlightening and I hope many people will make a good note of it.
I will send your letter to our Authorities: the Mayor, the President of Sorrento Hotel Association, the Chief of our Police Department, the Chamber of Commerce etc. to condemn these outrageous crimes that every day fill in the chronicle, at the expense of vulnerable holidaymakers whose only blame was to choose to come and visit this part of the world.
Thank you very much Scott and Deb for your contribution to draw attention to this disgraceful behaviour of a very small minority of my fellow countrymen I am ashamed of.
Should you ever consider coming this way again, please let me know, I will be honoured to welcome you again.
Kindest regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have just returned from a two week holiday in Sorrento staying in the Hotel Del Mare. We based ourselves in Sorrento and travelled to some wonderful sites and towns in the area.

The hotel was very friendly, reasonably priced, clean, helpful with a wonderful filling breakfast. Staff at the hotel were amazing, recognising us, helping and advising and friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Fantastic.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words, we really appreciate what you have said about us, thank you.
Kindest regards and Arrivederci
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Best features were these treats at breakfast. Although we were only there 2 nights this week we found it to be in a quaint location near the mariner, staff v friendly & helpful. Worst were that the room had no place to out our bags, no fridge, had unnecessary furniture which took up space in an already small room- making us trip over our bags on the floor. Bed & pillow v hard- worst sleep for me in the whole 4 weeks in Italy. Nice clean place though. If going for a brief stay I would probably suggest something closer to the centre.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
mickeymouse047, Direttore at Hotel del Mare, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We do apologize for the inconveniences you have come across during your short stay in Sorrento, and deeply regret for not being able to alleviate some of your grievances. Your complains will be seriously taken into consideration.
On the other hand, we are pleased to learn that you found our breakfast and the location to your liking.
Kind regards
Gianni Galano

Been to Hotel del Mare? Share your experiences!