“A beautiful start to an Amalfi Coast vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Europa Palace Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Correale, 34/36, 80067 Sorrento, Italy   |
Ranked #46 of 96 hotels in Sorrento
Alexandria VA
“A beautiful start to an Amalfi Coast vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here two nights as part of a package walking/hiking tour. Had an outside terrace-facing room with a little, fairly private patio area and access to a huge patio overlooking the Bay of Naples, that only about 6 rooms had access to. Heavenly! Others had rooms with other and less attractive/noisier views so reserve specifically. I had great service, enjoyed the swim in the Bay from the hotel's private pier, very good breakfasts, and great central location to enjoy Sorrento. Only complaint - the beds were HARD! I did miss my pillowtop from home.

Room Tip: Get a sea-facing room for killer views and quiet.

295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Montrose, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We were not lucky enough to get an outside terrace, but my cousin did, so we enjoyed sitting on theirs. Beautiful view from the terrace. Great location for shopping and for looking out at the Sea.
Food was good. Had to pay for internet service-Charge for 3 days was 15 Euros.

Middlebury, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Europa Palace Gand Hotel is right in the heart of Sorrento and on the Mediterranean Sea. The hotel is lovely and the service excellent. We were there for four nights in October 2012 and enjoyed the beautiful views of Vesuvius and the gorgeous sunsets. The rooms are not large but are attractive, clean and are equipped with all you need. WiFi, hair dryers, safes and mini-bar included. There is a wonderful marble veranda with expansive views and a pool below. If you'd rather swim in the sea - you travel through a spooky old tunnel (think ambiance!) and come out to a long,wide wharf with lounges, umbrellas, towels and a bar. There are a couple of ways to enter the water - I used a swim ladder and it worked fine. The water was beautiful - not as warm as the Caribbean but not as cold as the Atlantic and so very clear!
We ate at the breakfast buffet and had plenty of choices. You can have a big breakfast and just stop at a little cafe later. The hotel is a very easy distance to a bank ATM, several restaurants and a myriad of shops - and lovely churches. Especially the Church of St. Francis of Assisi. Sorrento feels very safe and is full of families strolling with their children. It's an excellent choice for a vacation. Stay at the hotel and see for yourself.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room and ask them to turn on the air conditioner for you. :)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The lobby, bar, ,dining room, terrace are all beuatiful and the location is centrally located with train station almost across the street . Elevators have floors listed that do not exist, Room 400 something is really on the 2nd floor of the annex. The don't bother to tell you this when you check in; you have to go hunting.
Our room was large but shower was tiniest I have ever seen. Still for this location I could forgive it. Also the old small tube TV. The fact that this was the only hotel we stayed in on our 2 weeks in Italy that charged for wifi I cannot forgive. You pay by the hour or 1/2 hour and it only works in the lobby area not in your room or the terrace, or the dining room. Our room had 3 beds and there was a nice view if you moved the 3rd bed and opened the window but it was in an odd corner and not really accessible. There was a double door access to front street with a small balcony (no chairs). I was a little nervous about being in the annex where it seems anyone off the street can walk in access elevator or walk up the stairs but we didn't experience any problems.

Our group had a dinner in the dining room the first night and it was unremarkable however the breakfast buffet was very nice with a selection that should satisfy most. There appear to be a lot of staff hanging around and one wonders why as you get a feeling of being spied on rather than their being helpful or friendly. Without a doubt this hotel is in desperate need of customer service training!!! I hope they get it because it would really be a shame to lose this hotel but it is extremely obvious the management is oblivious.

Bern, Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I just love Europa Palace and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. The well trained staff look after your every need and more. The views across the bay are out of this world and a cocktail on the breathtaking terrace makes you feel like a film star. Our rooms were very well looked after and the food in the delightful restaurant was delicious with a good choice on the daily changing menu. In the early morning you can watch the fishermen pulling in their nets or the ferries arriving and leaving the harbour. The hotel is ideally situated. The train and bus station is a a 3 minutes walk away, from here you can travel by bus to spectacular places on the Amalfi coast or by train to the many historical sites. From the harbour you can visit Capri or Ischia or Naples or just cruise around the amazing coastline. The historical center of Sorrento is also just a few minutes walk away. Europa Palace can only be highly recommended and you can even have your wedding reception in the beautiful rooms there!

Room Tip: The suites are very quiet and boast an amazing view.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Visiting the Amalfi Coast was a dream come true. Our stay at the Europa Palace was one of the highlights of our stay in Italy. We were booked for a city view room and were given a delightful bay view for the same price. What a view. A few names I want to mention are Salvatore, Antonio and Mario. We were treated royally and want to thank them. It was a terrific stay!

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel is greatly located some 5min walk from the train station walking in a straight line towards the sea passing through a small piazza and a garden. It is a majestic building dating late 19th century with high ceilings and beautiful terrace garden and they have some beautiful pieces of furnishings in the common areas but this is where everything stops as:

1. The hotel is positioned on the cliffs above the port which starts it’s activity soon after 7am meaning your well deserved rest in the holiday bed will have to be delayed until you go back home. The noises are so bad with one boat coming or going that even closing the simple balcony doors will not suffice
2. Dreaming of using the swimming pool? Dream on, as is situated right near the port and the noise could be worse than up on the cliffs where the hotel is
3. The breakfast area is in a beautiful ball room and the staff is welcoming and friendly, however the menu is rather anaemic and what a pity the juices are not as good as the ones you can buy in any café in Sorrento
4. My room itself did not have any carpets which meant the cold marble floors affected my back straight away; no sleepers were provided either but I found a very thick bath gown in the bathroom to hide in
5. The double bed was actually two single beds put together which meant one cannot but sleep on one side of the bed. The TV screen was very small and only the news channels in English. No kettle to make a cuppa in the room, no iron but some anaemic toiletries in the bathroom. Ancient taps at the sink, just like the key entry system.
6. I accessed my room 206 which I booked more than 1 month earlier directly with the hotel and for which I paid 210 euros per night as a solo traveller via a beautiful hallway, but not carpeted which meant I could hear people walking or talking and thank God the hotel was not packed with screaming teenagers or full, despite the receptionist claiming otherwise. My email request was for a top floor room as I sleep very light and I hear everything leaving me awake for hours and indeed I could hear the heels on the above floor as well as could hear conversations in the bathroom coming from the floor above or maybe below. The reception said will try it’s best to accommodate my wishes which normally means ‘come to our hotel as we need your money but we will give you second best if somebody else comes and pays more as they will stay longer’.
7. As the hotel is square shaped, it means the smaller rooms (only seven rooms per floor face the sea and are bigger) will mainly face the busy road that separates the hotel from the little gardens

But most annoyingly, after arriving mid morning only to drop my luggage and get on with my day around Amalfi coast and despite exchanging emails and calling them to ensure everything will be perfect and paying this high rate only for sleeping several hours in the hotel, I met this male receptionist who said they cannot accommodate my wishes. Asking them why I have this problem only in this part of the world, another receptionist called Loredana who took on the conversation and kept going on and on, not letting me finish my sentences replied: ‘if you do not like the Neapolitan way, then GO AWAY’!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not believe what I was hearing, the worst customer service encounter I have ever had in my life. And I was subjected to this from the very first 5min I arrived at the hotel only to drop my luggage. Should I have decided to go to a cheaper hotel, surely they would have charged my credit card and blame me for this lady’s bad attitude. All Italians I met later in Sorrento and Capri, as well as the English people I spoke with, could not believe that a receptionist can speak like this. Everyone agreed though, this lady should be fired if the hotel cares about it’s customers. The next day, the male receptionist said ‘sorry’ when he heart how bad I slept. I am not sure though if he apologised for his colleague and the way she spoke to me. After all he was present there when she was so rude to me and I have never heard her apology.

Conclusions: I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone: high price but no quality, noises from the port, one of the world worst‘ receptionist who surely needs to retrain. Maybe this lady will improve, by contrast, her attitude towards future customers, older customers or customers with children. But don’t we all deserve the same kind of respect, courtesy and customer service for which anyway I paid a high amount? I would definitely give the hotel a higher score based on it’s grandeur but is dragged down by this receptionist’ attitude.

Room Tip: Pay extra for sea view, but you will have to be woken up after 7am with noises coming from the port...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Europa Palace Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!